Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlos Gomez back to his self-admiration

Carlos Gomez back to his self-admiration

Although I think pitchers/teams overreact to this sort of stuff, he's turning into quite the narcissist with habit of posing after a hit.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=340420123

On a side note, someone needs to tell Cole that if Gomez is going to stand in the batter's box after a ball hit that does not leave the field of play, it actually gives them a better chance of getting him out or costing him an extra base.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Likes:

Red Raindog (04-20-2014),toledodan (04-21-2014),WVRedsFan (04-21-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carlos Gomez back to his self-admiration

Cole also runs his mouth then graciously allows his teammates to clean up his mess. Pretty chicken.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

5. Likes:

Johnny Footstool (04-21-2014),jojo (04-20-2014),traderumor (04-21-2014),WVRedsFan (04-21-2014)

Not a fan of Gomez' attitude at all. Great defender, has robbed the Reds of more than a few HRs, but you want to talk chicken? Go back and watch the fight he (and yes HE) instigated with the Braves last year. He ends up behind all of his teammates running his mouth from several yards away from the nearest Brave. Not a Braves fan either, but I almost wish McCann had cold-cocked him at home plate last year. Dude's got a pattern of this behavior and I think its only going to escalate if MLB doesn't do something to bring him down a notch before some hot headed pitcher does it for them.

I've never understood teams getting mad over stupid stuff like this. Honestly I don't get a lot of the unwritten baseball rules. Now if his teammates and manager got mad at him for not hustling I'd totally understand that...heck, he could have had an inside the parker.

If the pitcher doesn't want a guy to admire a triple off the wall maybe he should make a better pitch.

8. Likes:

pahster (04-20-2014),RadfordVA (04-21-2014),TRF (04-21-2014)

Guess I could care less about what Gomez does. He's a good player and he'd look great in a Reds uniform.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

10. Likes:

RadfordVA (04-21-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Guess I could care less about what Gomez does. He's a good player and he'd look great in a Reds uniform.
    If Gomez behaved that way in a Cinci uniform, Reds fans would chalk it up to "swag", call him Brandon Phillips, and love him.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

12. Likes:

Blimpie (04-21-2014),Chip R (04-21-2014),CoachBombay (04-21-2014),TRF (04-21-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

One of the things I truly dislike about baseball.... people getting their feelings hurt because someone watched a stinking baseball they hit too long. Get. Over. It. They act like this dude just started hitting on their wife right in front of them, knowing full well that it was their wife. They didn't. They watched a stinking baseball fly.

14. Likes:

757690 (04-20-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (04-20-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    If Gomez behaved that way in a Cinci uniform, Reds fans would chalk it up to "swag", call him Brandon Phillips, and love him.
    I love it, Reds or not. I love the "swag" stuff that Phillips plays with. I wish more guys would play with that fire and energy. I certainly have my issues with Phillips game. The "swag" stuff certainly isn't one of them. Show excitement guys, it is ok.

16. Likes:

Beltway (04-23-2014),bengalsown (04-21-2014),Benihana (04-21-2014),Crumbley (04-20-2014),dubc47834 (04-21-2014),joshua (04-22-2014),SirFelixCat (04-21-2014),TRF (04-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I've never understood teams getting mad over stupid stuff like this. Honestly I don't get a lot of the unwritten baseball rules. Now if his teammates and manager got mad at him for not hustling I'd totally understand that...heck, he could have had an inside the parker.

If the pitcher doesn't want a guy to admire a triple off the wall maybe he should make a better pitch.
    Gomez has a long history of doing much more than just admire his big hits.. And that's why other teams don't put up with his stunts. Many players admire their big hits, Joey Votto for one example, but teams don't get too worked up about it.

This was more about Gomez's other issues than this one admiration of his hit.

This reminds me of an episode of "Entourage" where Ari stages a coup, only to find that all of his colleagues turned their back on him and leave him out in the cold by himself. When he asks one of them why, he's told, "Well, if you weren't always such a selfish jerk, maybe you'd have some friends who would back you."
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

18. Likes:

RedlegJake (04-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    One of the most absurd and incorrect comparisons I have ever read. I'll assume you don't know much about Gomez's history.

Big difference between being a showboat and a punk.

Gomez doesn't have swag by the way. None at all.

20. Likes:

bounty37h (04-24-2014),jimbo (04-20-2014),joshua (04-22-2014),TSJ55 (04-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I love it, Reds or not. I love the "swag" stuff that Phillips plays with. I wish more guys would play with that fire and energy. I certainly have my issues with Phillips game. The "swag" stuff certainly isn't one of them. Show excitement guys, it is ok.
    Oh, I'm with ya' on the play style thing and the fragility of pitchers' feelings. I mean, the hitter just watched a baseball YOU served up travel really really far. If ya' want to avoid being shown up on the mound, then maybe not serving that pitch up in the first place might be a better solution than getting all bothered by a hitter admiring what he just did with it.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    One of the most absurd and incorrect comparisons I have ever read. I'll assume you don't know much about Gomez's history.

Big difference between being a showboat and a punk.

Gomez doesn't have swag by the way. None at all.
    That's between you and you.

--Ted Williams

I kind of like Go-Go, then again I'm pro antics.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

24. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-21-2014),TRF (04-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    One of the things I truly dislike about baseball.... people getting their feelings hurt because someone watched a stinking baseball they hit too long. Get. Over. It. They act like this dude just started hitting on their wife right in front of them, knowing full well that it was their wife. They didn't. They watched a stinking baseball fly.
    I completely agree. Cole was just as wrong in this case as Gomez. It still doesn't defend Gomez's actions after Cole yelled at him and the fight broke out, however.

I don't like him and like to see him get in hot water, but I readily admit it is because he is in our division and kills us.

I do think the fact that Gomez seems to be making a habit of pissing off entire teams is somewhat telling though. I'm pretty sure only the Cardinals fans really hate BP (I'm sure other fans do too but not from any one particular fanbase), but Gomez is getting teams and their fanbases to hate him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

27. Likes:

joshua (04-22-2014)

Turn Off Ads?