Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubs trade Samardzija, Hammel for Addison Russell, more

Re: So the A's are looking for starting pitching...

No offense, but I think the A's could get a much better pitcher than Simon for a SS as good as Lowrie. He has a .400 OBP.

2. Likes:

jojo (05-05-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (05-05-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I can't think of the last time a productive SS was traded in season.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    No offense, but I think the A's could get a much better pitcher than Simon for a SS as good as Lowrie. He has a .400 OBP.
    Plus, who isn't waiting for the clock to strike midnight on the notion Simon is an answer for the rotation?

But, where is this notion coming from that since Oakland, once again has a legit chance to win their division, they would be willing to trade off above average starting position players for back end arms and relievers?

I at least understand contemplating whether Beane would want Cueto in some type of major deal. But Lowrie for Simon? Lowrie is exactly the kind of player Beane loves to steal and Simon is exactly the kind of player Beane likes to get other guys to pay too much to acquire. It's been great that Simon has given the Reds innings with Latos out, but frankly, its a stretch to argue the guy has lots of cache concerning trade value.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

No way do I see Oakland trading Lowrie unless Beane is just blown away by an absurd offer.

However, I also have very little interest in trading Simon. I don't think he is a mirage. Now, I'm not saying he'll have a sub 2.00 era, but I could see him having a 3.25 era.

He's not getting by on smoke and mirrors. His stuff compares well with most pitchers on the Reds staff. He's a big strong guy, and if he maintains his control I see no reason he won't continue to be successful.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (05-07-2014)

This thread, IMO, is the current problem with this board.

There are two populations on the board: One doesn't ever want to trade "good" players from the Reds. The other likes to mock every trade proposal ever made, because the Reds aren't giving up enough "good" players compared to the other team.

Yet both populations share one thing in common- they're not happy with the status quo .500 team, which just suffered a major blow to its already anemic offense. So how do you possibly improve? By bringing back Roger Bernadina? Could the 2014 Reds win a championship (before) without major additions to the offense? Can they do this (now) with their 2nd best hitter being out at least a month? Is Roger Bernadina going to take this team over the top?

Or should we all just navel-gaze when confronted with the question of how to improve the team, now and for the future? It's early, and teams aren't "sellers" yet, so trading prospects for stars isn't really a viable option in May. And that doesn't address the fact that 2/3 of the board would freak out over the notion of trading someone like Robert Stephenson for a big hitter. Even though said trade would be trashed as "unrealistic" even if you could get beyond the horror of trading a promising pitcher.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox. Go Reds.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-05-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-05-2014)

One group doesn't want to trade Cueto. Another group doesn't think Simon for Lowrie is realistic. Neither group is mutually exclusive.

Yet this is redszone's problem.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This thread, IMO, is the current problem with this board.

There are two populations on the board: One doesn't ever want to trade "good" players from the Reds. The other likes to mock every trade proposal ever made, because the Reds aren't giving up enough "good" players compared to the other team.

Yet both populations share one thing in common- they're not happy with the status quo .500 team, which just suffered a major blow to its already anemic offense. So how do you possibly improve? By bringing back Roger Bernadina? Could the 2014 Reds win a championship (before) without major additions to the offense? Can they do this (now) with their 2nd best hitter being out at least a month? Is Roger Bernadina going to take this team over the top?

Or should we all just navel-gaze when confronted with the question of how to improve the team, now and for the future? It's early, and teams aren't "sellers" yet, so trading prospects for stars isn't really a viable option in May. And that doesn't address the fact that 2/3 of the board would freak out over the notion of trading someone like Robert Stephenson for a big hitter. Even though said trade would be trashed as "unrealistic" even if you could get beyond the horror of trading a promising pitcher.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox. Go Reds.
    I agree. It seems like sometimes we want something for nothing or if a big trade is suggested, the video game trade reference is made. Parting with prospects is hard, and I think the Latos trade spoiled us a bit as far as expecting minimal risk in a trade. Trades are risky and there's definitely a win now vs. win later payoff when dealing prospects and to get someone good, you have to give up value. Really this team needs help the most at the big league level, and to get the level of help this offense needs, the Reds will probably have to part ways with someone we don't want to part with.

As far as trading Cueto, I think he gives more value to the Reds pitching staff at the moment and would only consider trading him for a proven star MLB player.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-05-2014 at 08:11 PM.

I haven't really seen any mocking in this thread. People are just giving their opinions, WOY's was a bit strong, but he didn't mock you.

The only way I would trade Cueto is if it was a return similar to what the Rays got for James Shields. Is Addison Russel as elite of a prospect as Myers?

My reply was not directed at anyone, I am opposed to dealing big chips for little chips with futures in season, my belief if the market changes greatly during the off season and I feel the in season one is tighter and more risky.

I also am enjoying a run of pitching that is unprecedented in most Reds fans lifetimes, it really is something special and I don't believe it's as strong as we'd all like to believe because after all it's pitching.

It's early, it's not time IMO to take a step back

If me (and others) thinking that is wrong with the board then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My reply was not directed at anyone, I am opposed to dealing big chips for little chips with futures in season, my belief if the market changes greatly during the off season and I feel the in season one is tighter and more risky.

I also am enjoying a run of pitching that is unprecedented in most Reds fans lifetimes, it really is something special and I don't believe it's as strong as we'd all like to believe because after all it's pitching.

It's early, it's not time IMO to take a step back

If me (and others) thinking that is wrong with the board then so be it.
    I agree with you on your thoughts with Cueto. It seems as if, from my experience, that anytime anyone suggests trading for real major league talent on the board, their ideas get serious backlash. This team needs an offensive boost. IMO a pretty big upgrade at least one position. To acquire that it's going to take a major piece, either prospect or MLB player, to be moved and a little risk to be taken.

So if we all agree on a mock trade proposal what happens next?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    So if we all agree on a mock trade proposal what happens next?
    Benihana will personally approach Walt in the men's room at Dunken Donuts with a powerpoint presentation explaining why the trade makes sense.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-05-2014),AmarilloRed (07-04-2014),dougdirt (05-05-2014),PepperJack (05-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Benihana will personally approach Walt in the men's room at Dunken Donuts with a powerpoint presentation explaining why the trade makes sense.
    An existing retraining order prevents that.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    An existing retraining order prevents that.
    I've seen Benihana rip pieces of paper to shreds. It won't stop him.

20. Likes:

Benihana (05-05-2014),PepperJack (05-05-2014)

So the A's are looking for starting pitching...

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I agree with you on your thoughts with Cueto. It seems as if, from my experience, that anytime anyone suggests trading for real major league talent on the board, their ideas get serious backlash. This team needs an offensive boost. IMO a pretty big upgrade at least one position. To acquire that it's going to take a major piece, either prospect or MLB player, to be moved and a little risk to be taken.
    Any "Answer" "Proposal" suggested on a chat board with thousands of members is bound to create the sane result.

It is a "discussion" board, not an agreement board

Turn Off Ads?