Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No. 2, Derek Jeter. No. 2

No. 2, Derek Jeter. No. 2

Great article by Joel Sherman.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/02/if-yank...e-jeters-role/

"In mid-April, the Yankees manager played the tough guy by saying he was not putting on a farewell tour with Jeter in explaining why Jeter was not playing one day. But, as it turns out, of course, this is exactly what Girardi is doing.

His .261 average is devoid of much impact. He has 18 extra-base hits. That is tied with Stephen Drew, among others, for 253rd in the majors. But Jeter has come to the plate 539 times and Drew 225. So while Drew is hitting just .167, I am not sure he is a worse option than Jeter — at least the potential to hit for impact is greater."

I am just stunned at Jeter still hitting 2nd in the Yankees lineup. I think Jeter will eventually cost the Yankees a playoff spot with his .621 OPS and terrible defense.

Bob Sheppard: "Now batting for the Yankees, No. 2, Derek Jeter. No. 2."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No. 2, Derek Jeter. No. 2

Girardi is a coward.

Well, far be it from me to defend Joe Girardi, but this isn't a situation like when he dropped Arod in the lineup (who nobody likes), and there would be some push back from above. Hey, they were the ones who created this monster with the whole farewell tour, and now they have to feed it.

And although there are a couple of guys who would be more suitable (Suzuki, maybe Headley), the whole team is underperforming. And, as bad as Jeter is this year, he's still better than most of the guys the Reds trotted out there for years in the two spot.

5. Likes:

Joseph (09-06-2014)

I don't think the push back from the players themselves would be worth dropping Jeter back to the end of the lineup. As Carbo said this isn't ARod, who nobody really liked that much. Sometimes we fall into the trap of looking at numbers and not the human side of things. In this case, Jeter himself needs to tell Girardi, "Hey skip, maybe you should bat me 8th." Even then the brass might consider that too much of a PR problem. Not like the Yanks are going anywhere - they have three teams far ahead in the WC race and another one tied with them.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

7. Likes:

Joseph (09-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
    Girardi is a coward.
    He'd be fired if he did anything to upset Jeter, Jeter is the one who needs to say "move me down", he won't.
    Go Gators!

Girardi is a coward.
    Having watched Girardi for many years, as a player and as a manager, one thing in life I am certain of- Girardi is no coward. Can't say I feel the same about somebody who would anonymously make such a statement about someone else.

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (09-08-2014),dubc47834 (09-07-2014),Number_Fourteen (09-07-2014),RedlegJake (09-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Having watched Girardi for many years, as a player and as a manager, one thing in life I am certain of- Girardi is no coward. Can't say I feel the same about somebody who would anonymously make such a statement about someone else.
    Nice attack, man.

Nice attack, man.
    No attack. Just an honest response to your post. Man.

13. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-08-2014)

In hindsight, the biggest mistake the Yankees ever made was not switching Jeter to another position after signing A-Rod in '04 (who was far and away a superior defensive player [granted, horrific person, but hey, it's the Yankees]). Even Cal Ripken had to be switched to third in the last years of his career, but for some reason the Yankees enjoy having a player with a 76 OPS+ and -25 total Zone Runs at the second most important defensive position on the field. Personally, if the Yankees are fine with that, I don't care (who likes the Yankees except Yankees fans?). What upsets me more is the fact MLB slobbered over Jeter at the ASG, while ignoring Tony Gwynn, who passed away just a month before the ASG. The best hitter of our generation and a man who was never out of position and was never a dead weight offensively or defensively throughout his career, from beginning to end. No mentions, tributes, or even a basic video honor during the game.
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and [the St. Louis Cardinals]."--Benjamin Disraeli

Yeah, it always cracked me up when Jeter won those gold gloves at short, when not only wasn't he a good shortstop, he wasn't even the best shortstop on the team. It's hard to take an award like that seriously.

As mentioned above, all this comes down on Jeter rather than Girardi. But, he was closing in on 3500 hits, and probably figured he had a better chance in the two spot. At a minimum, he could have at least told all the teams to hold off on the trophies and plaques and other charades as he passed through each town with his .300 OBP.

I tried to think of another star who could have possibly been that selfish as he prolonged his career to rack up numbers, and Pete Rose came to mind. But I looked at his stats, and in his last full season at age 44 for the Reds, he actually put up an OBP close to .400 while batting 2nd and 3rd. Not too shabby at all.

If I were Girardi, I'll take Brendan Ryan anyday over Jeter.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

If I were Girardi, I'll take Brendan Ryan anyday over Jeter.
    Good thing you're not Girardi then!

Ryan has a lifetime OBP of .298 on a team that desperately needs to score runs. They might as well trade for Cozart.

Guys, this is a no brainer.

Offense
    Jeter ('14) : .618 ops
    Ryan (Career) : .615 ops

Defense
    Ryan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jeter

Ryan's OPS has been in the mid .500's or worse for the last three years, and is at .488 this year. Even Jeter hits better than that, and replacing him with Ryan wouldn't be worth the defensive upgrade on a team that has scored 0 or 1 runs in a bunch of games, not to mention dealing with the media circus.

Turn Off Ads?