Turn Off Ads?

Thread: No more Hoover or Parra please

No more Hoover or Parra please

What in the sam hell is Jay Bell smoking?

First, he lets Bernadina hit in that key situation in the 10th with a RHB who plays the same position available on his bench.

And then? Freaking Hoover and Parra against the top of the Braves order?

Inexcusably horrid late inning management.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No more Hoover or Parra please

Agreed on the Bernadina situation. I would've sent Marshall in. It's not like pitched the previous game, so he was available.

were in trouble if you don't wanna pitch anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    were in trouble if you don't wanna pitch anyone.
    Well you have to pitch someone obviously, but I think I'd rather go with the emergency infield pitcher rather than Hoover at this point. Who is that now? Santiago I'd assume.

Regardless, the second we see Hoover take the mound, the game is over. He stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    What in the sam hell is Jay Bell smoking?

First, he lets Bernadina hit in that key situation in the 10th with a RHB who plays the same position available on his bench.

And then? Freaking Hoover and Parra against the top of the Braves order?

Inexcusably horrid late inning management.
    Bell may have been playing the percentages on this pitcher...small sample size but lefties are batting .250 against him and righties only .200.

As for the pitchers, Hoover's a train wreck and Parra has been less than stellar of late, so no argument there.

I know Hamilton's fast and can cover a lot of ground, but if he didn't play so shallow he might have been able to get to that ball.

We have holes everywhere except for SP. But we are not hitting them we need them. Same as last year.

Well you have to pitch someone obviously, but I think I'd rather go with the emergency infield pitcher rather than Hoover at this point. Who is that now? Santiago I'd assume.

Regardless, the second we see Hoover take the mound, the game is over. He stinks.
    Appropriate user name. This is exactly the sort of hard-hitting baseball analysis Tracy Jones offers up on WLW on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Appropriate user name. This is exactly the sort of hard-hitting baseball analysis Tracy Jones offers up on WLW on a daily basis.
    I have met with Tracy Jones on a number of occasions outside of his radio schtick, and he is an incredibly knowledgeable baseball junkie, and what's more is that he is incredibly humble and modest about his own career and life. He has for me and for other people I know, gone out of his way to help others with small things, when he really does not have to.... and to my knowledge, HE NEVER expected any acknowledgment of fanfare because of it. Essentially off-air Tracy Jones is the polar OPPOSITE of what his radio persona is.

His on-air personality, stemming back from his post-game show and the characters he promoted with Richard in Indian Hill and Rod in Norwood, is just an entertainment aspect--whether or not the listener knows it is truly tongue in cheek--is one of the jokes.

The person that knows the off-air persona of Tracy Jones gets the ridiculousness of his on-air character and recognizes he is just being, well a ******, to poke fun of the elitist, the all-knowing braggart/statistician... whatever it may be

The person that does not know Tracy Jones off-air is entertained by his level of annoyance (ie. can you believe what he said--what a jerk) or... quite the opposite, they connect with a selfish, pig, know-it all (which is scary!)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Votto View Post
    I have met with Tracy Jones on a number of occasions outside of his radio schtick, and he is an incredibly knowledgeable baseball junkie, and what's more is that he is incredibly humble and modest about his own career and life. He has for me and for other people I know, gone out of his way to help others with small things, when he really does not have to.... and to my knowledge, HE NEVER expected any acknowledgment of fanfare because of it. Essentially off-air Tracy Jones is the polar OPPOSITE of what his radio persona is.

His on-air personality, stemming back from his post-game show and the characters he promoted with Richard in Indian Hill and Rod in Norwood, is just an entertainment aspect--whether or not the listener knows it is truly tongue in cheek--is one of the jokes.

The person that knows the off-air persona of Tracy Jones gets the ridiculousness of his on-air character and recognizes he is just being, well a ******, to poke fun of the elitist, the all-knowing braggart/statistician... whatever it may be

The person that does not know Tracy Jones off-air is entertained by his level of annoyance (ie. can you believe what he said--what a jerk) or... quite the opposite, they connect with a selfish, pig, know-it all (which is scary!)
    Interesting. Always figured he had to bring more to the table than the jackass simpleton schtick he loves to espouse since Marty (still) has the patience to do his show with him. I guess (?) it's good to know that it's just a disingenuous troll act that he plays.

Personally, I can't stand the guy. Not entertained by his "level of annoyance" and do whatever I can to actively avoid any of his contributions on WLW.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Thanks.

What kind of "hard hitting baseball analysis" would you like to see regarding JJ Hoover?

Should we dissect his xFip? His groundball rate? His percentage of curveballs thrown while ahead in the count?
    The latter may be more worthy of some "hard hitting analysis"
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 05-02-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Hoover has been bad but that's the nature of middle relievers - up and down. Something is not clicking for him. I believe he still has options left so if this keeps up he might see Louisville for a while. As for using an emergency pitcher like Santiago - you wonder why you got some snark?
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Votto View Post

I enjoyed his post-game show...it wasn't really his fault that every drunk idiot in WLW's listening radius called in to add their "analysis". Don Votto's personal knowledge is good enough for me. It figures TJ is a good guy off-air and a total a** on.

Hoover and Parra have been trash but they are ahead of Ondrusek, Parra should have the shorter leash but his being the lefty he will be here without a major implosion.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Hoover has been bad but that's the nature of middle relievers - up and down. Something is not clicking for him. I believe he still has options left so if this keeps up he might see Louisville for a while. As for using an emergency pitcher like Santiago - you wonder why you got some snark?
    Fair enough, but the Santiago comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I thought that was obvious.

I do think Hoover has options, but I doubt that he'll be the one shipped to Louisville. I'd bet it's Cristiani. As someone here in this thread mentioned, it won't be Parra due to he being a lefty, and because they signed him to a new deal, and I think they'd look into moving Hoover rather than sending him down again if they really didn't want him anymore. Sending him down would just eliminate any remaining value he may have now.

Bump.

JJ Hoover is freaking terrible.

Fair enough, but the Santiago comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I thought that was obvious.

I do think Hoover has options, but I doubt that he'll be the one shipped to Louisville. I'd bet it's Cristiani. As someone here in this thread mentioned, it won't be Parra due to he being a lefty, and because they signed him to a new deal, and I think they'd look into moving Hoover rather than sending him down again if they really didn't want him anymore. Sending him down would just eliminate any remaining value he may have now.
    Right now he has no value. Sending him down might help him regain some value. At the moment I don't think they'd get anything at all for him - maybe another reliever having the same difficulties (your junk for my junk)
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Turn Off Ads?