Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Given Bruce situation & furthermore need 4 offense...Consider Winker as a call up?

Given Bruce situation & furthermore need 4 offense...Consider Winker as a call up?

As I understand it, Jesse Winker appears to project as our top power hitter coming up through the ranks, he's only at Single A ball, but killing it at the 3 levels he's been at. He's only 20 years old as well. But are there certain times that you should just go ahead and get a top prospect up here and learn by baptism by fire? Lutz or a guy we just DFA'd are the 2 guys they're looking at. Lutz is crushing too, but hasn't played in a while, came up for a 30 game stretch last year, but dropped back down to AA not AAA out of spring training....Bernadina, well we kept an 8th reliever over him....

This is a bit of a bigger picture against the grain scenario here of going ahead and rolling the dice on a top tier prospect, starting the clock, and obviously forced to make multiple moves right away or throughout the year to get the kid up. But if he is able to step right in there, are we able to fill 2 OF positions for the rest of the year when Bruce comes back (IMO not until after ASB).

Or do you stay away from this high risk/high reward move all together even given the lack of depth, offensive struggles, and making Walt and Scouts work during the year LOL!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Given Bruce situation & furthermore need 4 offense...Consider Winker as a call up

I really like Winker, but he got hurt running into the wall at Bakersfield. I think he has a concussion? He is definitely a hitter, from what I read on the Net is that his parents own a hitting facility and his dad works with him a lot on his hitting. I can't wait to see him up with the Reds at some point. Hopefully he is not traded, because I am sure his name comes up when the Reds are discussing trading pieces with other clubs.

Re: Given Bruce situation & furthermore need 4 offense...Consider Winker as a call up

If Lutz can get healthy he is the guy I want back and challenged. Winker would be a really risky move. I don't want him up just to languish on the bench, ala Lutz last season. Hand him the starting spot or leave him alone. Even if Lutz came up I'd want him starting most of the time. If they want a full time platoon or spot guy Bernadina/Beorgois, someone whose development is not an issue.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Turn Off Ads?