Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/6/14 - Reds vs. Red Sox

5/6/14 - Reds vs. Red Sox

The Reds try to get their interleague record to .500 tonight against the Red Sox at Fenway. Time for the DH!

Reds lineup:

Heisey, RF
    Votto, 1B
    Phillips, 2B
    Frazier, 3B
    Ludwick, LF
    Schumaker, CF
    Cozart, SS
    Soto, DH
    Barnhart, C

Pitching Matchup: Homer Bailey (2-2, 5.50) vs. Felix Doubront (1-3, 5.70)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 5/6/14 - Reds vs. Red Sox

Soto goes deep over the green monster tonight. Book it.

Not sure why you would place Heisey in the leadoff and Schumaker in the 6 spot. Heisey is more of a power hitter and not an OBP guy at this point.

Doubrant is a LHP, isn't he? that may be why

No offense to Soto, but I never thought he would be DHing.

7. Likes:

KYExtemper (05-06-2014)

I like it, he has the power to knock some balls either into or over the monster.

This tells me that my guess was right: Billy will not play until the weekend. Give him more time to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    No offense to Soto, but I never thought he would be DHing.
    I'm pretty sure Mike Costanzo started a game or two at DH in 2012, so the bar isn't set incredibly high.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (05-06-2014),Red Raindog (05-06-2014)

I think Soto is definitely the correct DH choice. Doesn't have to play the field, his forte is hitting LHP.

Schumaker and Barnhart playing = continued injury woes for Hamilton and Pena. Unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think Soto is definitely the correct DH choice. Doesn't have to play the field, his forte is hitting LHP.

Schumaker and Barnhart playing = continued injury woes for Hamilton and Pena. Unfortunate.
    I think Barnhart might be playing because how well Bailey performed last time out, I could be wrong though.

I know the Reds have played in Fenway since the 1975 World series but that is really the last time I remember them playing there. That was a pretty good time!

Someone on another board I frequent said the last time the Reds played at Fenway Arroyo was the winning pitcher;for the Red Sox. That may not be true, but if it is then it's good trivia.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    Not sure why you would place Heisey in the leadoff and Schumaker in the 6 spot. Heisey is more of a power hitter and not an OBP guy at this point.
    Schumaker's lifetime stats vs LHP are beyond terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I know the Reds have played in Fenway since the 1975 World series but that is really the last time I remember them playing there. That was a pretty good time!

Someone on another board I frequent said the last time the Reds played at Fenway Arroyo was the winning pitcher;for the Red Sox. That may not be true, but if it is then it's good trivia.
    I just read that, also that Wily Mo Pena struck out 7 times in that 2005 series.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Here is a Gordon Edes piece on the series:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...now-about-reds

The Sox have played their National League “natural rivals,” the Braves and Phillies, 54 and 53 times respectively, since interleague play began in 1997. Yet the Reds, the famed “Big Red Machine” of yesteryear that beat the Sox in seven games in a 1975 World Series still regarded by many as the greatest ever, have faced the Sox only twice, the last time a three-game set in Cincinnati in 2008.

The Red Sox swept three from the Reds on their last visit here, outscoring them, 23-4, and outhitting them, 36-15. The Reds never led in the three games. David Ortiz is the only player left from either team who played in that series. Young Reds slugger Wily Mo Pena struck out seven times in 10 at-bats, while Sox pitcher and crooner Bronson Arroyo won the series finale, which did not keep GM Theo Epstein from swapping Arroyo for Pena after the season.

(Where are they now: Pena, incredibly still just 32 years old, has 10 home runs in 128 plate appearances for the Orix Buffaloes, only one home run behind former Brave and Yankee Andruw Jones for the Japan Pacific League lead. It’s still all or nothing for Pena; he has 31 strikeouts. Arroyo, meanwhile, signed a two-year, $23.5 million deal with Arizona that at the moment ranks as one of the worst signings of the offseason: Arroyo, 37, has a 6.03 ERA in six starts for the last-place Diamondbacks.)
    He does, however, fail to mention that Pena is now walking in Japan. He has 15 walks in his 130 PA.

Also from the article:
    * Joey Votto. The Reds’ best hitter and a former NL MVP (2010) is the kind of player the Red Sox baseball ops people draw up in their dreams: He has led the league in walks and on-base percentage in each of the last three seasons. So far this season, the first baseman has drawn a league-leading 27 walks, and his on-base percentage is .429.

My memory of the Reds getting blown out in Fenway includes Pena in RF with a ball bouncing off of him for a homerun.
    Edit: Here is that game recap:
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?id=250613102
    The Red Sox led 7-2 when Ramirez capped a five-run, sixth inning with a high fly near the low right-field wall. Wily Mo Pena ran over but the ball appeared to hit his glove as he neared the fence and it bounced into the stands. Ramirez raised both arms in a touchdown gesture when first-base umpire Terry Craft gave the home-run signal.
    Last edited by klw; 05-06-2014 at 03:22 PM.

18. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-06-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (05-06-2014)

Red Sox lineup

Pedroia 2B,
    Victorino RF,
    Ortiz DH,
    Napoli 1B,
    Sizemore LF,
    Bogaerts SS,
    Pierzynski C,
    Middlebrooks 3B,
    Bradley CF,
    Doubront LHP

Re Doubront
    Felix Doubront, LHP
    1-3, 5.70 ERA
    The left-hander has struggled to find consistency this season. He took the loss in the second game of the doubleheader on Thursday against the Rays, going six innings, giving up four runs (three earned) on five hits, a walk and five strikeouts.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...mode=probables

Boston counters with Felix Doubront (1-3, 5.70), who is winless over a five-start stretch since beating Baltimore 4-3 in his season debut April 3. He yielded four runs over six innings in the second game of a doubleheader against Tampa Bay on Thursday but didn't factor in the decision of a 6-5 loss.

Unlike Bailey, Doubront has thrived in interleague play. The left-hander has compiled a 2.25 ERA while receiving an average of 12.54 runs of support during a four-start winning streak against the NL.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/...-series-050614
    Last edited by klw; 05-06-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Turn Off Ads?