Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading either Cueto, Chapman, Leake, Latos or Bruce and when?

Re: Trading either Cueto, Chapman, Leake, Latos or Bruce and when?

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    how about trading Joey Votto? he hasnt near lived up to his contract and the Reds could still get a couple good hitters for him. I'd trade him before any of the ones above besides Bruce
    Even if the Reds wanted to trade Votto, nobody is taking on that contract.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Even if the Reds wanted to trade Votto, nobody is taking on that contract.
    ehh, very true. Maybe we can get lucky and a title contender will want him to solidify their lineup

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    ehh, very true. Maybe we can get lucky and a title contender will want him to solidify their lineup
    I don't want Votto gone, but I do want him to be the player the Reds need him to be. This current incarnation isn't it.

I don't want Votto gone, but I do want him to be the player the Reds need him to be. This current incarnation isn't it.
    The current incarnation has been hurt. Even prior to that his greatest asset is his on base ability. The Reds need to find another powerful bat to put behind him in order to exploit his greatest asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    The current incarnation has been hurt. Even prior to that his greatest asset is his on base ability. The Reds need to find another powerful bat to put behind him in order to exploit his greatest asset.
    No argument there.

Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but the Reds really should have brought Nelson Cruz in when it appeared nobody wanted him.

He's making what? 8 mil? Steal of the offseason.

No argument there.

Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but the Reds really should have brought Nelson Cruz in when it appeared nobody wanted him.

He's making what? 8 mil? Steal of the offseason.
    True. I really can't blame the Reds staying away considering the PED history and the loss if a draft pick that would accompany him. Hopefully the team can be at full health in the next two weeks or so and a real accounting of talent can occur and the Reds can make a move for a bat at a necessary position.

True. I really can't blame the Reds staying away considering the PED history and the loss if a draft pick that would accompany him. Hopefully the team can be at full health in the next two weeks or so and a real accounting of talent can occur and the Reds can make a move for a bat at a necessary position.
    No I can't either. Add in the fact that he's not very good defensively as well and I wouldn't have been gung-ho about the signing had they made it.

But man...that bat right now in this lineup? And for $8 mil? Would solve an awful lot of problems this team has with scoring runs.

And as far as getting a bat later in the season, not sure who that could be. The 2nd wildcard has made a team dumping salary and having a fire sale at the deadline a thing of the past IMO. Most teams are going to be within striking distance in July and August now, and it's going to make them hesitant in parting with any proven commodity. The best hope I think would be to get an under the radar guy and hope to catch quick lightning in a bottle, like the Pirates did with Marlon Byrd last year.

No I can't either. Add in the fact that he's not very good defensively as well and I wouldn't have been gung-ho about the signing had they made it.

But man...that bat right now in this lineup? And for $8 mil? Would solve an awful lot of problems this team has with scoring runs.

And as far as getting a bat later in the season, not sure who that could be. The 2nd wildcard has made a team dumping salary and having a fire sale at the deadline a thing of the past IMO. Most teams are going to be within striking distance in July and August now, and it's going to make them hesitant in parting with any proven commodity. The best hope I think would be to get an under the radar guy and hope to catch quick lightning in a bottle, like the Pirates did with Marlon Byrd last year.

That second wild card really does throw a monkey wrench in acquiring a big player at the deadline. The type of player the Reds IMO need is probably better acquired in the offseason. To me they really need a power bat preferably right handed. I know it's far fetched, but I'd love to see them go after Stanton. I'd imagine the Marlins may be looking fjr pitching with Fernandez out for at least a year. I think you'd have to over pay for him but maybe offer the following:

Cingrani: ride Simon while he's hot and hope that Stephenson can step in by seasons end
    Frazier: cheap controlable and an upgrade for Miami at a couple positions. Suck it up with Soto at third or acquire a lesser glove first type of guy
    Choose one of Lutz/Winker
    Choose one of Yorman/Ervin
    Choose one of any pitching prospect not named Stephenson

I'd be giving up a lot, but really it adds a huge bat for the Reds at the cost of a guy that could soon be replaced in the rotation, a guy at a position that could be covered and not sorely missed with the addition of Stanton and finally a bunch if pieces that would be blocked or not ready while the current group is ae to be together and compete.

It'd be risky, and may hurt in the short run but would make the Reds serious contenders the next two seasons while the current staff is intact, Votto isnt in a huge decline and the farm replenishes.

That second wild card really does throw a monkey wrench in acquiring a big player at the deadline. The type of player the Reds IMO need is probably better acquired in the offseason. To me they really need a power bat preferably right handed. I know it's far fetched, but I'd love to see them go after Stanton. I'd imagine the Marlins may be looking fjr pitching with Fernandez out for at least a year. I think you'd have to over pay for him but maybe offer the following:

Cingrani: ride Simon while he's hot and hope that Stephenson can step in by seasons end
    Frazier: cheap controlable and an upgrade for Miami at a couple positions. Suck it up with Soto at third or acquire a lesser glove first type of guy
    Choose one of Lutz/Winker
    Choose one of Yorman/Ervin
    Choose one of any pitching prospect not named Stephenson

I'd be giving up a lot, but really it adds a huge bat for the Reds at the cost of a guy that could soon be replaced in the rotation, a guy at a position that could be covered and not sorely missed with the addition of Stanton and finally a bunch if pieces that would be blocked or not ready while the current group is ae to be together and compete.

It'd be risky, and may hurt in the short run but would make the Reds serious contenders the next two seasons while the current staff is intact, Votto isnt in a huge decline and the farm replenishes.
    Yeah I would love love LOVE to acquire Stanton's bat and slot him in between Votto and Bruce for the next couple of seasons, and I would trade anybody on the farm, including Stephenson, to do it.

I really don't think the Marlins are going to let him go though. He's still very young, very cheap, and the one guy in their lineup people want to see.

I doubt they'd part with Christian Yelich either, another guy I really like, but not the power bat you and I both agree the Reds need.

Yeah I would love love LOVE to acquire Stanton's bat and slot him in between Votto and Bruce for the next couple of seasons, and I would trade anybody on the farm, including Stephenson, to do it.

I really don't think the Marlins are going to let him go though. He's still very young, very cheap, and the one guy in their lineup people want to see.

I doubt they'd part with Christian Yelich either, another guy I really like, but not the power bat you and I both agree the Reds need.
    It's more of a pipe dream than anything really. It may be more realistic to try to pry Bsutista away from the Jays. But yeah. They need a power piece like that behind Votto to cash in on his ability.

It's more of a pipe dream than anything really. It may be more realistic to try to pry Bsutista away from the Jays. But yeah. They need a power piece like that behind Votto to cash in on his ability.
    Yeah my friend, it's all probably a pipe dream at this point.

Even if someone like that became available, do the Reds have the ammunition in the farm as well as the ready payroll cash to pull it off?

This team really needs its current crop to simply play better, particularly the guys who are supposed to be the hammers in the line up, Votto and Bruce.

Yeah my friend, it's all probably a pipe dream at this point.

Even if someone like that became available, do the Reds have the ammunition in the farm as well as the ready payroll cash to pull it off?

This team really needs its current crop to simply play better, particularly the guys who are supposed to be the hammers in the line up, Votto and Bruce.
    That is probably true but at a point we are asking these players to be more than they actually are along with the lesser hitters on the team. Hopefully Mesoracos current hot streak is a sign of things to come and we can add him to the list of Reds All Star to Elite hitters with Bruce and Votto.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-18-2014 at 07:12 PM.

That is probably true but at a point we are asking these players to be more than they actually are along with the lesser hitters on the team. Hopefully Mesoracos current hot streak is a sign of things to come and we can add him to the list of Reds All Star to Elite hitters with Bruce and Votto.
    I'm afraid that may be the case. Maybe a good portion of this team just simply isn't good enough.

A large chunk of this squad has won 90+ games 3 of the 4 years though. That's why I have a difficult time believing it. I've seen better from them.

I'm afraid that may be the case. Maybe a good portion of this team just simply isn't good enough.

A large chunk of this squad has won 90+ games 3 of the 4 years though. That's why I have a difficult time believing it. I've seen better from them.
    That is true. Ludwick is coming off an injury and isn't getting younger. Frazier to me could crash and burn at anytime with his plate approach. Phillips is still tough but is definitely aging. I think the current group is capable of more as well though. The problem is as an entire group they haven't been on the field together this year. If the rumors are to be believed the team may all be back by the end of this month or early June. I'll cast judgement after I see them as a group for a month or so. The record is concerning but I don't think it's time to panic quite yet.

That is true. Ludwick is coming off an injury and isn't getting younger. Frazier to me could crash and burn at anytime with his plate approach. Phillips is still tough but is definitely aging. I think the current group is capable of more as well though. The problem is as an entire group they haven't been on the field together this year. If the rumors are to be believed the team may all be back by the end of this month or early June. I'll cast judgement after I see them as a group for a month or so. The record is concerning but I don't think it's time to panic quite yet.
    No, definitely not time to panic or throw in the towel. I think this team can turn things around. Look at what the Dodgers did last year.

We're fans though. We get frustrated. That's part of the fun.

Turn Off Ads?