Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overall to this point of the season, are the REDS on the path you hoped for/expected?

Overall to this point of the season, are the REDS on the path you hoped for/expected?

A lot of threads about particulars, but I'd just like to post a thought on the overall state of the REDS.

Overall record aside, I'm very happy with the current state of the REDS.

Seasons are truly 162 games with ebbs and flows throughout, injuries to overcome at various points, and differences in hitting and pitching based on weather, maturity and home/road/opponent schedules.

Going into the beginning of the season, the team came out of Spring Training with more injuries than any team in the National League.

I feel that they've shown that they will be solid Offensively throughout the season, while their Starting pitching should be dominant throughout the season.

They've been winning series (always the goal for me any season) on a consistent basis with hiccups versus Atlanta (nothing to be ashamed of) and a short, two-game series vs the Red Sox.

Time is on the REDS' side, the Cardinals have not run away from them, and if they continue to play the way they have the last three-four weeks, they should be in position to reach the playoffs come September 1st.

I just wanted to post this because I think too many people will focus on the 17-19 record and not see the big picture accurately.

There's really little to no concern for me about this club right now, while I don't feel that any trades need to be made in the future to "fix" anything. I think this club is set to reach the playoffs and go far in them once they get there.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

REDREAD (05-12-2014),SirFelixCat (05-12-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Overall to this point of the season, are the REDS on the path you hoped for/expec

I would say yes. Record not where I wanted. But I saw Frazier, Mes, and BHam as being the key players required to take a step forward for the Reds to succeed.

Other guys oike Ludwick, Cozart, Phillips, etc. dont have the upside to take the team to another level at this point. I expec them to contribute in some fashion but not to the degree to sink or advance us.

The fact that the progress of those 3 guys is showing suggests to me the Reds have a hot streak somewhere along the way that is going to put us in the thick of contention.

5. Likes:

M2 (05-12-2014),Old school 1983 (05-12-2014)

Re: Overall to this point of the season, are the REDS on the path you hoped for/expec

I think this may be the year where the Reds have a chance to make the playoffs, but they're gonna need a midseason acquisition to do so.

And I don't think they have the ammo to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think this may be the year where the Reds have a chance to make the playoffs, but they're gonna need a midseason acquisition to do so.

And I don't think they have the ammo to do so.
    If they were to make a mid-season acquisition what position(s) would you want the Reds to focus on?

Ammo as in minor league talent? I think they have some ammo, but I don't know if Walt will be willing to deal it. We can assume Stephenson is off the board.

I think Winker, YRod, Waldrop, SMB, Contreras, Lutz, and some others are decent ammo.

To answer the OP: This about where I expected the Reds to be. Hovering around .500.

Overall to this point of the season, are the REDS on the path you feared. Yes.

I expected them to be a little better than .500 this year-so yes.

IMO this teams record is more of a by product of injury putting players in positions/situations where they would not normally be rather than underperformance. If they can get everyone healthy and firing on all cylinders, I see no reason why this team couldn't win the division. A trade could aid into that or to get them deep in the playoffs as well.

To hit the 90 wins I originally predicted they need to go 73-53 the rest of the way. (.579%)

There's only 5 teams in baseball that have managed a .579% to this point in the season.

So I'd guess the path isn't going to lead where I thought it would.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

They are about where I would have expected them to be given the number of injuries they've had.

I'm happy with the development of Frazier, Mesoraco, and Hamilton, and I give the FO credit for the decisions made regarding C and CF.

I'm hoping for change from the FO regarding the last six or seven roster spots on the 25: Heisey, Bernadina, Santiago, Cozart, Soto, the backend of the bullpen.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (05-12-2014)

I said at the end of ST that I wanted the boys to be @ .500 at the end of April. Then more injuries happened. But yeah, actually, I'm really, really excited and pleased w/ the shape of the team. Yes, I'd prefer Hoover not be working out his struggles with the big club, but outside of that, I am thrilled.

Once healthy, this team is going to punish the rest of the league.

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-12-2014),REDREAD (05-12-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (05-12-2014)

Very few overachievers....mostly underachievers to this point. And yet, they have hoverered around .500. Thank you, starting pitching.

Need a little health, and a wake up call for Hoover and Cozart. If Bruce, Latos, Mesoraco and Chapman come back healthy.....they will indeed be on that path, if not better.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

If they can keep on the edge of contention and get Latos and Bruce back by mid-season they can take a shot at it.

They are currently two games behind the pace of the 2012 club that won 97 games.

Well, I said 78-84, so technically I'm close to being right on point.

If Meso comes back hitting like he was, Frazier keeps this up with just a slight downturn, and Bruce comes back from the DL and gets to 25/90, I think they'll actually have enough offense to get to the Playoffs.

While the injury bug is a foremost reason for their below .500 record, simply getting players back will not necessarily lead to the playoffs. The problem with the rough start is that it could have been better... but will not be, so that leaves more work to do then normal to catch up in the race. It's just the way I see the injury situation, lost opportunity. They will have to charge hard at some point with or without their injured players. Preferably without in my eyes. That said, I expected .500 this year and actually want to revise that upwards to around 84-85 wins.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Not as good as I hoped coming into the year. But I also didn't expect half of the team to hit the DL in the first month of the season either.

Turn Off Ads?