Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: About to have kids with a 5-year age gap

Re: About to have kids with a 5-year age gap

This has turned into a really interesting thread!

Just to update -- boy #2 is now 4 months old and thriving. His 5 year-old bro has been nothing but an angel so far, helping us whenever and wherever he can. I assume that once the younger guy is mobile and all up in his business he might feel a bit differently, but for the moment it is all love all the time -- really adorable.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    it seems like usually parents are more protective over the older sibling and then more lenient with the younger one.
    I think this is mostly because first-time parents are inexperienced and nervous about everything. By the time they get to kids 2+, they're more experienced and aren't afraid of their children's shadows anymore. Also, with multiple children, there's just not enough time to devote to helicoptering each of them.

4. Likes:

RedEye (03-18-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think this is mostly because first-time parents are inexperienced and nervous about everything. By the time they get to kids 2+, they're more experienced and aren't afraid of their children's shadows anymore. Also, with multiple children, there's just not enough time to devote to helicoptering each of them.
    Even only 4 months into being the parent of two, I have to agree with this. Boy #2 is simultaneously more daring than his brother at this age and less "helicoptered" by us. Hopefully that won't be too dangerous a combo...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

My oldest was almost 5 when our twins were born - the age difference isn't really that big of a deal - plus when the oldest was 13, he could babysit.
    Where we gonna go?

7. Likes:

westofyou (03-18-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by winefurry View Post
    I have 2 kids, my eldest is 19 and the youngest is 11. based on my experience, i would really advice an age gap of 5 yrs and above. having small kids all at once is just too much to handle. my kids has an 8 year gap and i'm proud to say that i did a great job taking care of them, I'm not stressed at all financially and emotionally.

the hair fall is normal during post partum, I also experienced it for about a month.
    Isn't crazy? All the sleepless nights, the stress and all then the hair fall? I was too shocked to see my hair thinning and I even started looking at Bosley! Crazy.

But going back to the topic, I am glad about my kids' age gap. I get to have a free little baby sitter if I am busy with the chores.

My kids are now 27, 24, and 21 (yes we planned it out and yes, my wife would get pregnant if I so much as looked at her).

But when you get to 3 kids, you can no longer pair up with ome child each, you have to learn to juggle and manage the herd. One funny thing is that we were the most lenient with our youngest and she was the best behaved and the least trouble. I think there is a lesson there.

We're empty nesters now. Lizzy (the youngest) is graduating from OSU this spring and she's our last to get out of college. I will say, I miss having my kids around. So you young folk, enjoy these childhood days. They go by fast and once they're over, they're over.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

RedEye (03-20-2015),Sea Ray (03-21-2015)

Congrats Red Eye. 5 years doesn't seem large to me at all, it actually seems perfect.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

12. Likes:

RedEye (03-22-2015)

Turn Off Ads?