Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton Factor

Re: Billy Hamilton Factor

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, he would have. It was the first inning. It wasn't the 8th and he had thrown 100 pitches and made 35 throws to first. He had about 20 pitches and made a few throws to first base. Why didn't he make some mistake to Frazier in the same situation.
    Don't know how to argue that. He was making twice as many throws to 1st and 1 to second as he did to the plate. Did you watch the game? To me it was obvious that Kendrick was rattled when Billy was on base. Yes after throwing about 35 pitches in an inning your arm is tired. Are you here to debate or do you just like to argue? To say that Billy wasn't distracting Kendrick is just foolish. To think that it doesn't carry over with runners on 1st and 3rd is not understanding sports psychology.

2. Likes:

Chuckie (05-17-2014),Drugs Delaney (05-17-2014),REDREAD (05-21-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    Don't know how to argue that. He was making twice as many throws to 1st and 1 to second as he did to the plate. Did you watch the game? To me it was obvious that Kendrick was rattled when Billy was on base. Yes after throwing about 35 pitches in an inning your arm is tired. Are you here to debate or do you just like to argue? To say that Billy wasn't distracting Kendrick is just foolish. To think that it doesn't carry over with runners on 1st and 3rd is not understanding sports psychology.
    I am here to talk baseball.

I am so tired of trying to give credit to someone else for something that another person did. Devin Mesoraco hit a baseball 375 feet and people are trying to give Billy Hamilton credit for it. No. Just no.

5. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (05-20-2014)

Can someone please make junkhead go to the chalkboard and write, "Choo is gone, I need to get over it" at least 500 times and not allow him to come back until he stops harping on it?

The subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) references to Choo are getting really old. He's hijacked at least half a dozen threads so far this season by bringing up Choo in conversations where he doesn't need to be brought up. Choo is gone. Get over it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

7. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-20-2014),Drugs Delaney (05-17-2014),Larkin Fan (05-17-2014),Old school 1983 (05-17-2014),paintmered (05-17-2014),REDREAD (05-21-2014),Tom Servo (05-17-2014),westofyou (05-17-2014)

I am so tired of trying to give credit to someone else for something that another person did. Devin Mesoraco hit a baseball 375 feet and people are trying to give Billy Hamilton credit for it. No. Just no.
    I agree. Itīs nice to watch Billy and I can understand all the hype around him. His first week was not good but since than he is playing great, but some people try to credit him for everything while others should get the most credit..

perhaps billy got into the pitchers head (I canīt know that) but I doubt that billy on third made an impact on how the pitcher throws to rocco. Great hitting from Rocco and thanks to billy and skip to make it a 3run hr and not a single ....
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Giving Hamilton credit for rattling the pitcher doesn't take anything away from what Mesoraco did.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

10. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (05-17-2014),Gapper (05-20-2014),mu4103 (05-17-2014),Norm Chortleton (05-20-2014),REDREAD (05-21-2014),TRF (05-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Giving Hamilton credit for rattling the pitcher doesn't take anything away from what Mesoraco did.
    I'm constantly curious as to how people think that pitchers are such mental midgets that they can't handle the pressure of Billy Hamilton being on base. It's not like they pitch to the best athletes on the planet in front of tens of thousands of people every few days or anything.

I'm constantly curious as to how people think that pitchers are such mental midgets that they can't handle the pressure of Billy Hamilton being on base. It's not like they pitch to the best athletes on the planet in front of tens of thousands of people every few days or anything.
    Pitchers get rattled every time they pitch. All of them, even the best of them, every time. Some more than others, but all of them get rattled.

The only question is if Hamilton rattles them more than any other player.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

kheidg- (07-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Can someone please make junkhead go to the chalkboard and write, "Choo is gone, I need to get over it" at least 500 times and not allow him to come back until he stops harping on it?

The subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) references to Choo are getting really old. He's hijacked at least half a dozen threads so far this season by bringing up Choo in conversations where he doesn't need to be brought up. Choo is gone. Get over it.
    Even funnier, not signing Choo was almost definitely the correct response by the Reds.

We know Choo is kind of a 5 WAR guy in most realistic scenarios.
    Billy is already appearing to be 2.5-3 WAR kind of thing.

That means at $5M a win, for the Reds to benefit out a Choo signing, they almost have to get him for $10M a year, otherwise, there are opportunity costs on other ends of the roster. We know they could't dump Ludwick's contract to fit Choo in LF.

That doesn't even consider the effect of a 10 year contract and Choo closing in on the wrong side of the aging curve.

Not only is Junk's passive aggressive thread derailments annoying, they also offer a very incomplete, superficial analysis, that not only is unrealistic from the Reds financial standpoint, but also, quite possibly would decrease the Reds future outlook.

15. Likes:

Brutus (05-17-2014),Drugs Delaney (05-17-2014),joshua (05-18-2014),OGB (05-17-2014),Old school 1983 (05-17-2014),paintmered (05-17-2014),Redeyecat (05-17-2014)

No one is giving Hamilton the credit for Mesoraco's home run. This is a team sport and people are suggesting that Hamilton being on the bases helped contribute to the pitcher getting rattled. But it wouldn't have mattered if Mesoraco missed the pitch and popped out. Credit goes to him for slugging it out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Even funnier, not signing Choo was almost definitely the correct response by the Reds.

We know Choo is kind of a 5 WAR guy in most realistic scenarios.
    Billy is already appearing to be 2.5-3 WAR kind of thing.

That means at $5M a win, for the Reds to benefit out a Choo signing, they almost have to get him for $10M a year, otherwise, there are opportunity costs on other ends of the roster. We know they could't dump Ludwick's contract to fit Choo in LF.

That doesn't even consider the effect of a 10 year contract and Choo closing in on the wrong side of the aging curve.

Not only is Junk's passive aggressive thread derailments annoying, they also offer a very incomplete, superficial analysis, that not only is unrealistic from the Reds financial standpoint, but also, quite possibly would decrease the Reds future outlook.
    I don't know how any Reds fan could honestly think the Reds should have signed Choo for $130 million. What a boneheaded move that would have been, especially with Billy waiting in the wings. In a perfect world, the Reds could have moved Choo to LF, but even then, $130 million would have been way too much for him, IMO. He's on the wrong side of 30 and just like last year he started this season like gangbusters and is already slowing down big time. The guy can't hit lefties and is a terrible baserunner. I don't think he'll age well. He won't suck, but he'll be vastly overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Pitchers get rattled every time they pitch. All of them, even the best of them, every time. Some more than others, but all of them get rattled.
    Yep. These guys may be the best at what they do, but many of them are also just 20-somethings. They're always getting worked up...often visibly so.

19. Likes:

mu4103 (05-17-2014)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Talk baseball?
    You mean this isn't a forum to discuss medical doctors in relation to sports? When did this heappen?

21. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    No one is giving Hamilton the credit for Mesoraco's home run. This is a team sport and people are suggesting that Hamilton being on the bases helped contribute to the pitcher getting rattled. But it wouldn't have mattered if Mesoraco missed the pitch and popped out. Credit goes to him for slugging it out of the park.
    Maybe the pitcher got rattled because he thought the grizzled veteran Skip Schumaker was passing signs along to Mesoraco from second base? Why didn't anyone talk about that?

It's just incredibly frustrating to hear people consistently harp over and over about how much Billy Hamilton makes pitchers wet the bed and do things things that now he should be given some credit for because someone else hit a baseball 375 feet. Is Billy Hamilton distracting? Sure he is. So are another 100 guys in baseball when they are standing on first or second base. Does Dee Gordon get talked about for how much value he brings Yasiel Puig? I doubt it.

Maybe the pitcher got rattled because he thought the grizzled veteran Skip Schumaker was passing signs along to Mesoraco from second base? Why didn't anyone talk about that?

It's just incredibly frustrating to hear people consistently harp over and over about how much Billy Hamilton makes pitchers wet the bed and do things things that now he should be given some credit for because someone else hit a baseball 375 feet. Is Billy Hamilton distracting? Sure he is. So are another 100 guys in baseball when they are standing on first or second base. Does Dee Gordon get talked about for how much value he brings Yasiel Puig? I doubt it.
    As you like to be precise, probably because Skip Schumaker was on 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    As you like to be precise, probably because Skip Schumaker was on 1st.
    Touche.

25. Likes:

mu4103 (05-17-2014)

Turn Off Ads?