Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Commonly Spoken Language Other Than English or Spanish By State

Re: Most Commonly Spoken Language Other Than English or Spanish By State

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The ATM closest to my house has three language options: English, Spanish, and Somali.
    time to move

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I don't know much about Chinese though, so this is assuming that there's some overlap. If they're totally different languages, it doesn't make sense to lump them together.

my understanding is that it's akin to putting an Italian speaker, a Catalonian Spanish speaker, and a Portuguese speaker in a room together and expect them to be able to converse. or putting a Scots speaker in a room with a Scotch Gaelic or Irish speaker and expect coherent communication. many of the words will be the same and the alphabet is the same, but pronunciation, emphasis, and grammar are different.

oooo...another comparison that occurs to me is if you've seen Vikings when the Norse first arrive in England...it's kinda like the difference between those Anglicans speaking Middle English and our American English.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I'm not surprised that it's French Creole in Florida, just find it funny that the "Creole" part didn't make the cut in Louisiana.

My guess is that's intentional -- that in New York, all forms of Chinese together make up the third-biggest group of speakers. Whereas in, e.g., Minnesota and Florida, the more specific dialects alone outnumber everybody else. I actually appreciate that they did that -- if all the dialects of Chinese individually aren't enough to be the third-biggest, I think it's more reflective of the population at large to group them together. Actually, that may be what happened in Louisiana too -- Florida's French speakers are mostly Haitian, but all kinds of French are spoken in Louisiana.

I don't know much about Chinese though, so this is assuming that there's some overlap. If they're totally different languages, it doesn't make sense to lump them together.
    I think you're right. The folks from Louisiana will tell you there's a difference between Cajun French and Creole French. And both are spoken there.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    I believe that Chicago is only second to Warsaw in the number of Polish speaking people. I know there are millions of Germans in this country, but I've rarely encountered any that actually speak the language. I'm jealous of my fellow Italians in NJ and PA. I wish the elders in the family would have made more of an effort to pass along their native tongue, rather than stressing integration so much.
    You probably don't travel out to the farmland much. The most reasonable explanation for all those Midwestern states still having German as a prominent third language is due to the presence of Amish, Mennonites, German Baptists, Hutterites, and the like. They will and do speak German amongst themselves. In the cities, you still get some of the elderly German speakers (spend time in Lincoln Square and you'll hear it). German heritage festivals and Oktoberfests are also times when German speakers will bust out the Deutsche Sprache.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

All of these Russians in Oregon and they don't have an NHL team?!
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Germans in Idaho...who'da thunk it?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

- This might be pure ignorance on my part, but I am not sure where there is a large Brazilian or Portuguese population in Massachusetts.
    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Boston has a fairly large Brazilian population. When my sister lived in Somerville her neighborhood was nothing but Brazilians.
    A large portion of the Portuguese speakers in Massachusetts and Rhode Island is due to a huge influx of immigrants from the Cape Verde islands.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Verdean_American
    Last edited by klw; 05-19-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Turn Off Ads?