Thread: WWE problems

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-28-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: WWE problems

WWE isn't really saying much here...

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2014/11...m-punk-medical

3 sides to every story... Their side, Punk's side, and the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    3 sides to every story... Their side, Punk's side, and the truth.
    Pretty much.

I don't necessarily disagree with a number of things he said, but I think the burying of Ryback was pretty petty. I also think Punk is a huge hypocrite in several regards, but I've felt that for a while.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

So Punk is going to UFC. Unless he gets some tomato cans that leads to maybe one high profile fight, I think this ends badly for him.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

9. Likes:

Joseph (12-07-2014)

Here's a question -

Is 2014 the worst year ever for the WWE? The company has lost tens of millions, its PPVs generally have been terrible, the weekly product is difficult to watch, Vince McMahon essentially buried his roster in a podcast with Steve Austin, its feeder organization (NXT) is putting on better shows, live audiences consistently rebel against WWE storylines. I keep thinking the WWE has hit bottom and it keeps going lower.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Here's a question -

Is 2014 the worst year ever for the WWE? The company has lost tens of millions, its PPVs generally have been terrible, the weekly product is difficult to watch, Vince McMahon essentially buried his roster in a podcast with Steve Austin, its feeder organization (NXT) is putting on better shows, live audiences consistently rebel against WWE storylines. I keep thinking the WWE has hit bottom and it keeps going lower.
    Yeah this year has pretty much been an unmitigated disaster, which is a huge turn considering how bright everything looked coming out of WrestleMania.

I would actually love to see the fans rebel en mass one more time at the Royal Rumble where we get absentee champion Lesnar vs. Cena for the 50th time now. Vince is just set in his damn ways. Cena vs. Rock. Cena vs. Orton. Cena vs. Lesnar.

I couldn't help but laugh as Cena said men dont make excuses for losses. Should we review how Cena's lost matches (besides Summer Slam)?
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Here's a question -

They picked a terrible time to launch their "Network" -- the product is beyond stale, and nothing they're doing constitutes "appointment" television these days.

They're in desperate need of a major shake up in the writing / creative department.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    They picked a terrible time to launch their "Network" -- the product is beyond stale, and nothing they're doing constitutes "appointment" television these days.

They're in desperate need of a major shake up in the writing / creative department.
    Not that I have watched wrestling in 15 years, but would better writing/creative development really matter? If you don't fit the type to be champion to Vince, you aren't getting any play. That's why the same guys, over and over and over, even though they are well past their primes, keep getting the stories, the shots, the spotlight. It's been that way since 1990 (that's really about as far back as I have a good memory of). There's been one constant in that time. Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not that I have watched wrestling in 15 years, but would better writing/creative development really matter? If you don't fit the type to be champion to Vince, you aren't getting any play. That's why the same guys, over and over and over, even though they are well past their primes, keep getting the stories, the shots, the spotlight. It's been that way since 1990 (that's really about as far back as I have a good memory of). There's been one constant in that time. Vince.
    Vince has always been attracted to the tall, statuesque body-builder types when it comes to his champions, but it's not like that has prevented guys like Foley, Jericho, Benoit or others from receiving major pushes up the card. There's definitely a bias to overcome, but part of what helps guys overcome that bias is good writing and being put it into good situations where they can talk up a feud or tell a great story in the ring with a well-worked match.

There is definitely a staleness at the top right now. It's not unlike the situation the then-WWF found itself in back in the mid-90s before WCW solved their problem by raiding the major stars and clearing out room for the next-generation to come in and establish themselves. But the staleness is exacerbated by the repetitive storylines and feuds and a general lack of any understanding of how to build compelling characters.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (12-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There is definitely a staleness at the top right now. It's not unlike the situation the then-WWF found itself in back in the mid-90s before WCW solved their problem by raiding the major stars and clearing out room for the next-generation to come in and establish themselves. But the staleness is exacerbated by the repetitive storylines and feuds and a general lack of any understanding of how to build compelling characters.
    It really begins and ends with Cena. Vince always used to have an A1 plan. It was Warrior with Hogan, it was Rock with Austin. Their have been plenty of guys who COULD potentially usurp Cena, but WWE chooses to sabotage them instead andor turn them heel (CM Punk, Ryback come to mind in recent years).

From 05-10 WWE was blessed with an embarrassment of riches in terms of main eventers (Cena, Batista, Triple H, Michaels, Undertaker, Orton, Edge, Jeff Hardy, etc) and managed to build almost 0 new stars during that time. Now all of them are gone besides Cena and Orton. Guys like The Miz, Kofi Kingston, Jack Swagger, Drew McInyre, Alberto Del Rio, etc, should currently be where those guys were given their years on the roster, instead they're in the same spot or not with the company anymore.

The WWE's basic problem is this -- if you want to watch quasi-professionals acting like there isn't a script to something that's clearly scripted, you can go watch any number of "reality" television shows where the writing is flat-out better.

I said it earlier in this thread, and it's still true: the WWE is at it's best when it's a fun-house mirror style reflection of modern society. It was wholesome and American "eat your vitamins, say your prayers, respect your elders" back in the cold-war era 80s, when we all hated the commies and watched shows like G.I. Joe in the morning. It was kinda-trashy and really funny "Godfather's Ho Train, Bra & Panties Fights, and Steve Austin chugging beer" during the Jerry Springer / Beavis & Butt-Head / early-South Park era 90s. Now? Can you really say that the WWE, in any way, reflects any aspect of current society in a unique or interesting way?

No one involved in WWE creative right now has any idea where it's current niche is, and the product on TV reflects that. It's bland and uninteresting characters doing bland and uninteresting things on a bland and uninteresting television show. They might have gotten away with that 20 years ago, but now there is simply too much competition in their general field.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

19. Likes:

Chip R (12-16-2014), Slyder (12-16-2014)

The funny thing is that it seems to me that WWE realizes that elaborate, plot-heavy, and character driven series like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy (ugh), etc, are what our culture eats up currently so they'll start planting seeds for a big story...and then the next week it's forgotten about and we get Hornswoggle dancing around in a cow outfit instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The funny thing is that it seems to me that WWE realizes that elaborate, plot-heavy, and character driven series like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy (ugh), etc, are what our culture eats up currently so they'll start planting seeds for a big story...and then the next week it's forgotten about and we get Hornswoggle dancing around in a cow outfit instead.
    Bottom line: the company is too risk-averse when it comes to the on-camera product.

Behind the scenes and on the business side of things? Completely different story.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?