Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will be the most successful pitcher in the major leagues?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben Lively

13 20.31%
  • Michael Lorenzen

31 48.44%
  • Nick Travieso

18 28.13%
  • Other (please list below)

2 3.13%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: After Stephenson...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

After Stephenson...

Who is your pick for the BEST Reds pitching prospect? Not necessarily performance to date, but given the combination of stuff, results, and projectability, who is your pick to have the best major league career?
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: After Stephenson...

I will take Travieso, though I thought long and hard about Lorenzen, who has better stuff, but is a guy I think is going to wind up in the bullpen more so out of circumstance because of how quickly his arm will be ready.

This is a tough one. What swings it for me, though, is the comment by Lorenzen that he threw a curveball for the first time in his last start--and hadn't even toyed with the pitch until a few days before. I mean, if the guy can pick up something that quickly, and actually make it work, it really says something about his talent. Meanwhile, his first tour as a starter has gone extremely well. And of course, there's that fastball . . .

Travesio. I'm a sucker for 1st round talent.

I can't argue about the other 2 choices though, tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Travesio. I'm a sucker for 1st round talent.

I can't argue about the other 2 choices though, tough call.
    I agree. The 1st round choice always intrigues me - usually to a fault.

I am a little higher on Lorenzen than Lively, although I really was mixed over whether or not Lorenzen should have focused on pitching or playing a position. As long as he remains a starter, I can live with it. But if he eventually winds up in the bullpen, I will consider it a mistake.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I agree. The 1st round choice always intrigues me - usually to a fault.

I am a little higher on Lorenzen than Lively, although I really was mixed over whether or not Lorenzen should have focused on pitching or playing a position. As long as he remains a starter, I can live with it. But if he eventually winds up in the bullpen, I will consider it a mistake.
    You think he could have been that good as a hitter? At the very least, he's a top-shelf bullpen prospect. At the best, he's a No. 2 or No. 3 starter. What a great pick and making him a pitcher was a no-brainer IMO for the organization.

I'm going Lorenzen. The guy has a killer fastball and is working on secondary stuff while putting up great numbers at AA. IMO Travieso isn't far behind.

I go Lorenzen because of his fastball and the fact he seemingly picked up a curveball after watching Wainwright on TV. That's ridiculous. If he can make that curve work he is going to be filthy.

The fact there are 2 (maybe 3) excellent arms behind Stephenson is such a great problem to have.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-20-2014)

Lively. And I base that in part on what we saw with Cingrani, who was doubted at each step, but whose numbers continued to be ridiculous as he moved up. I subscribe to the view that the occasional prospect defies conventional scouting observations, and that Lively may be one of those.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I like Travieso's pedigree, potential and 2014 results. I really am excited about the other two, as well.

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-20-2014)

Pretty nice problem to have...

(even though there is no such thing as a pitching prospect)
    Go BLUE!!!

14. Likes:

klw (05-21-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

(even though there is no such thing as a pitching prospect)
    I will argue against this until the day that I die.

16. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-21-2014),Superdude (05-21-2014)

I'll take Lorenzen. What he's doing in AA in his first full year as a pitcher -- and as a starter -- tells me he's got special talent and aptitude.

18. Likes:

mth123 (05-21-2014),Old school 1983 (05-20-2014)

Travieso by the narrowest of margins over Lorenzen.

I voted Travieso. If he were doing this, in college right now, he would be near the very top of all the mock drafts.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?