Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to "Blow it up".

Re: It's time to "Blow it up".

The only way I don't lock up a Cueto is if a Godfather "lets make them an offer they can't refuse" kinda deal comes their way. There are other players I'd jettison - whether in a trade scenario or simply letting them walk - long before Cueto. He's a bona fide ace in any rotation. Names? Latos, Broxton, Leake, Bailey, Phillips, and yes, even a Jay Bruce. We've got some pretty strong pitching developing in the minors. As for the OF... Lutz, Winker, Rodriguez, and Ervin.

Again - it depends on the deal.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-30-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

There will be no "blowing it up" as long as Bob is the owner. It makes sense to shop Cueto or Latos, at least to see what the market is, but I think Bob is too much of a fan to ever do that.

He's a passionate owner that wants to win more than most in his position, but sometimes I think he lets his heart and emotions get in the way of wise business decisions when it comes to the game of baseball. And I don't think that's a good thing most of the time.

5. Likes:

westofyou (05-30-2014)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    The argument isn't just Choo v Hamilton and any truely objective analysis of the 2014 Reds thus far would acknowledge that.
    I checked three different stat sites, and the difference between Choo and Hamilton, counting defense, amounts to somewhere between half a win and 1.25 wins. That's not insignificant considering it's just a third of a season, but it also isn't anywhere close to explaining the difference between where we are and what we thought we would be.

No, we'll get back to that after going over things like, our corner OFs have hit like mediocre shortstops, our shortstop has hit like a guy who was just promoted from Dayton, and the bullpen has been among baseball's worst.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

7. Likes:

OGB (05-31-2014),Screwball (06-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    There will be no "blowing it up" as long as Bob is the owner. It makes sense to shop Cueto or Latos, at least to see what the market is, but I think Bob is too much of a fan to ever do that.

He's a passionate owner that wants to win more than most in his position, but sometimes I think he lets his heart and emotions get in the way of wise business decisions when it comes to the game of baseball. And I don't think that's a good thing most of the time.
    This is kind of my thought as well.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2135 View Post
    I really think we need to lock down Cueto. Billy will be fine in Center for years to come, and I think we should try Lutz in LF this year
    My only problem with signing Cueto to a long term deal is his next deal would begin in his age 30 season. I am very scared of a team signing any pitcher on the wrong side of 30 to a long term deal. I don't think it's good strategy, especially with someone like Stephenson on the way. Plus, who know if Cueto is thinking a long term deal with the Reds. He may be wanting to try the free agent market and see what's there.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

10. Likes:

Always Red (06-02-2014),cincrazy (05-30-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    When is the last time the Reds win six in a row? I really can't remember. Early last season?

It's relatively depressing to think about.
    So you're saying they're due. :o)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I checked three different stat sites, and the difference between Choo and Hamilton, counting defense, amounts to somewhere between half a win and 1.25 wins. That's not insignificant considering it's just a third of a season, but it also isn't anywhere close to explaining the difference between where we are and what we thought we would be.

No, we'll get back to that after going over things like, our corner OFs have hit like mediocre shortstops, our shortstop has hit like a guy who was just promoted from Dayton, and the bullpen has been among baseball's worst.
    I think that's a very fair analysis. It seems the Reds have much larger fish to fry than a developing CF who is yet to play a half season.

It's my opinion that an entire blow up is not needed but several areas need to be addressed. The first step should be to better manage the things you can immediately control. The pen has been horrid. Find a way to get Diaz to the majors. Does anyone really care if you lose Bell if he's removed from the 40 man? Secondly, Donald Lutz has been one of our best minor league offensive performers this year. It needs to be seen if he is actually a real answer to any of the Reds concerns. I'd be playing him everyday at either first or left until he proves he doesn't belong. Guys like bernadina have no bearing on the teams future and are doing little to help them win now. Lutz needs to always get the nod over him. Same with Ludwick. He has given the team great pre injury past performance, but looking at the reality of the situation he is a solid veteran bench bat/spot starter with little chance of future contributions.

As far as future plans, the Reds need some serious offensive upgrades as well as upgrades to the pen while freeing up some money. In order to get the needed upgrade IMO they are going to have to part ways with either Cueto or Latos. Lesser packages will probably not get you the caliber of player/prospect the Reds will need. I think the minor league contracts of Jurrjens and Marmol could actually provide good roster holders for traded players this season while some of the propects ready theirselves for 2015 or late 2014.

There are no quick fixes and they've not been unlucky. Buckle up. The road only gets rougher from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    There are no quick fixes and they've not been unlucky. Buckle up. The road only gets rougher from here.
    I disagree, they have problems (even with everyone healthy) and the season won´t get easier but they did have some bad luck (injuries..)
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Let's see Votto injured, Chapman, Broxton, Latos, Bruce... over 20 1 run games.

Hmmmm seems like it's either bad luck or voodoo

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-30-2014)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    *Each team's total for games missed by regular starters due to injuries:

Reds
    Mesoraco(27)+Votto(13)+Bruce(16)= 56 games

Nationals

Ramos(36)+LaRoche(17)+Zimmerman(42)+Harper(30)+Spa n(7)= 132 games

Rangers

Soto(54)+Fielder(12)+Profar(54)+Beltre(14)+Choo(6) = 140 games

"But neither measure all of the extra runs he's created by striking fear in the hearts of pitchers"
    hegetsonbase.gif

ESPN playoff odds have us at 10.7%....I tend to think that is too high.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Jay currently is sporting a career high 14.9 walk rate.
    Jay has been sporting basically 0 walks since he came back from the DL. When I said his patience was gone I meant since he came back from the DL...... sorry I was not more clear.

I don't think our window is closed by any stretch of the imagination. It was fashionable after last season to say the Brewers window had closed and they had lost their shot at achieving anything of significance, but here they are this year (with better health and some better luck) sitting at the top of the division past Memorial Day. That could be us next year. But to get there, Walt needs to be active.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Are you totally cereal about this?

Batting #1

-2013-

(#5 in AVG, #1 in OBP, #1 in SLG, #1 in OPS)

-2014-

(#30 in AVG, #30 in OBP, #30 in SLG, #30 in OPS)

Where is the magic of Billy Hamilton?
    Where is the ManBearPig?

Just admit that you were wrong.

Excelsior!

We've only hit 2 HR so far?

Turn Off Ads?