Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to "Blow it up".

Re: It's time to "Blow it up".

If they want to add Cueto to Kershaw & Greinke? Jonny Cueto and Brandon Phillips for Joc Pederson, Hyun-Jin Ryu (6yrs/$36M thru 2018) plus Corey Seager or Alexander Guerrero and a top young arm (possibly even Seager AND Guerrero). Want a lot? Pay a lot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

IMHO, if they deal a SP, a top SS prospect needs to be the target. No exceptions.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    IMHO, if they deal a SP, a top SS prospect needs to be the target. No exceptions.
    Which is a very sane idea, especially if you view Winker as eventually making it.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Absolutely, though to be fair there are probably 20 other teams that feel the same way. There simply aren't a lot of above average offensive shortstops, which is why those that have elite SS prospects are so reluctant to give them up. I'd like to see the team get better and if that means getting a top tier SS prospect, that's great but I'm not hanging up the phone if someone offers the equivalent of a James Shields for Wil Myers deal for whatever SP ends up getting shopped.

Cueto to Minnesota for Byron Buxton and Danny Santana.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Here's my take. There is one huge question right now. Should the Reds trade Johnny Cueto at the deadline for a boatload of talent. Maybe add Broxton if he's still doing so well. Maybe add another player, someone non-core.

No blow up is happening here. The Reds have three large contracts worth near $400 million which won't be seen as attractive by clubs. Reds ain't trading inexpensive kids and controllable assets. They aren't ripping the team apart, nor should they.

Latos unfortunately has lost value due to injury. Leake has value, sure, but probably fits the Reds' payroll going forward.

Cueto is the big chip. He brings a big return. it would be very, very tough to take for Reds fans. But there's a compelling case to be made that a trade of Cueto plus some other goodies at the deadline gets this team the youth it needs to reload with controllable, inexpensive talent. And saves the Reds another huge contract that Johnny would soon require.

I'm sure this won't go over well, but it's one poster's view of reality.

Another possibility is Chapman but he's now cemented as a reliever and won't bring as much, and he's in the Reds' control longer. No, the key question is whether to re-stock with a big Cueto trade. And that's the kind of trade you make at the deadline, when teams are desperate to make the playoffs or go far this year.

That's the big decision and the Reds have to consider it and maybe test the waters.
    I wonder if there's some way Walt could get Stanton for Cueto with some other players/prospects to balance out the deal. He's worked some amazing deals in the past, so I wouldn't put something like that past him.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    I wonder if there's some way Walt could get Stanton for Cueto with some other players/prospects to balance out the deal. He's worked some amazing deals in the past, so I wouldn't put something like that past him.
    Why does Miami want Cueto? He'd be a FA before they're legitimate contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Why does Miami want Cueto? He'd be a FA before they're legitimate contenders.
    Why does Miami do anything it does? Do you know what the strategy of the Miami front office is? I ask because I don't think anyone actually knows, maybe not even people in the Miami front office.

Also, Miami is looking like a contender right now.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Cueto to Minnesota for Byron Buxton and Danny Santana.
    That one ain't happening. Minnesota wouldn't even take that call.

For a guide to what the Reds could/ should demand for Cueto, the Cubs and Samardzija is a decent guide.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...amardzija.html
    Should look for more than the Garza return as he was only a rental.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    I was actually going to propose a trade of Giancarlo Stanton for Aroldis Chapman, Robert Stephenson, Yorman Rodriguez or Phil Ervin, and Jeremy Kivel. I think Miami maybe considers because a) Stanton is an OF, b) Stanton is about to get really expensive, c) Chapman is an attendance winner and great pitcher d) with Fernandez down, this year is out the door e) the prospects should fit nicely with the other kids they have coming up and when they will be ready and Chapman will still be under their control at that time. I would rather not trade Cueto if I can help it and if I do, it is for a different kind of package.

Someone also mentions that who knows what Miami's front office does.

- - - Updated - - -

Any deal opens up for Broxton, I do that in a heartbeat, at any point in time.

I'm not sure what the infatuation with dealing bullpen arms is. We saw what the pen looks like without them. I say keep them in place unless you're blown away. I'd like to think that Leake and or Simon would bring the type if iffensive upgrade the Reds need to add to their core. IMO that's wishful thinking. Not impossible if you get a desperate GM but they won't probably fetch a top prospect or established MLB star. To get the offensive upgrade the Reds need, they are going to have to more than likely let go of someone they dont want to. I think it pretty much comes down to how much faith they have in Stephenson Lorenzen et al making an impact late this year or next year. If they believe they can be viable pitchers in the rotation, I think a move could be made involving a pitcher.

14. Likes:

OGB (05-29-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

FWIW, the Reds are currently 7.5 games out of first. Exactly where they were 1 month ago today. So as bad as we've played this past month, we haven't LOST any ground.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

16. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (05-29-2014)

As far as LF goes, I really think the Reds need to see what Lutz can do everyday before trading for another teams prospect. IMO Lutz is probably a better alternative to what is being run out there everyday. If he does well, he coukd become a nice trade chip himself

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    That one ain't happening. Minnesota wouldn't even take that call.
    I could talk 'em into it.

Turn Off Ads?