Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: LF targets.

LF targets.

Ludwick's deal expires at the end of this season and is seen as a need and possibility for upgrade. This is assuming the mutual option is not exercised by the Reds. The issue become who is a possible replacement. In house options are Lutz and Y Rod but can not necessarily be counted on at this point in their development. Who then are options from outside the Reds' system?

Here are the current lists for guys who are going to be free agents after 2014 :

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...ee-agents.html
    Updated 05-22-14

Current FA's
    Left Fielders
    Laynce Nix (33)
    Juan Pierre (36)
    Derrick Robinson (26)

Center Fielders
    Rick Ankiel (34)
    Andres Torres (36)
    Dewayne Wise (36)

Right Fielders
    Vernon Wells (35)

Designated Hitters
    Kendrys Morales (30)
    Vernon Wells (35)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ee-agents.html
    Updated 5-22-14

After 2014
    Left Fielders

Melky Cabrera (30)
    Chris Denorfia (34)
    Jonny Gomes (34)
    Tony Gwynn Jr. (32)
    Scott Hairston (35)
    Reed Johnson (38)
    Ryan Ludwick (36) – $9MM mutual option with a $4.5MM buyout
    Darnell McDonald (35)
    Mike Morse (33)
    Seth Smith (32)
    Alfonso Soriano (39)
    Vernon Wells (36)
    Josh Willingham (36)
    Delmon Young (29)

Center Fielders

Emilio Bonifacio (30)
    Franklin Gutierrez (32)
    Colby Rasmus (28)
    Grady Sizemore (32)
    Denard Span (31) – $9MM club option with a $500K buyout
    Chris Young (31)

Right Fielders

Norichika Aoki (33)
    Tyler Colvin (29)
    Nelson Cruz (34)
    Michael Cuddyer (36)
    Chris Denorfia (34)
    Jeff Francoeur (31)
    Scott Hairston (35)
    Torii Hunter (39)
    Nick Markakis (31) – $17.5MM mutual option with a $2MM buyout
    Alex Rios (34) – $13.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Nate Schierholtz (31)
    Ichiro Suzuki (41)

Designated Hitters

Billy Butler (29) – $12.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Ryan Doumit (34)
    Adam Dunn (35)
    Jonny Gomes (34)
    Raul Ibanez (42)
    Adam Lind (31) – $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Victor Martinez (35)
    Delmon Young (29)

Issue becomes who to target. The list of 2014 FA options hardly screams of lots of potential upgrades. To get someone to move a player who may be worth getting the Reds would need to give someone up- obviously looks like pitching would be the strength to draw from. So who to target? Other than the players listed, it would sees that LA will need to address its glut at some point. I just thought I would start the conversation.
    Last edited by klw; 05-29-2014 at 02:52 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Re: LF targets.

Out of the ones you've listed, Denorfia and Aoki are the only two I like and find reasonable. Gerardo Parra is a guy I wanted over the offseason and should be added to the list...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I think the Rangers pick up the option on Rios especially if he finishes the year anywhere close to his current stats: .329 .359 .493 .852

past him.. I want no part of this list. Not one single player on it interests me in the slightest. I'd rather get Balentein or even WMP back in the fold from Japan.
    Suck it up cupcake.

5. Likes:

Big Klu (05-30-2014), RedlegJake (05-29-2014), SirFelixCat (05-29-2014)

If that's the list I am praying for a solid showing from Lutz...
    No - I am not from State Farm!

7. Likes:

HokieRed (05-29-2014), Old school 1983 (05-29-2014), SirFelixCat (05-29-2014)

Just a guess, but the Rays strike me as an organization that could throw in the towel early. If so, I've got to believe Matt Joyce could be had.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-29-2014), Larkin Fan (05-29-2014)

I don't see any player on that list that would be any bit of an improvement over the options that the Reds have now, let alone the significant improvement that this team desperately needs. If the Reds are going to improve LF, free agency isn't going to be the method by which they do so.

11. Likes:

'69 & Vine (05-29-2014), Old school 1983 (05-29-2014)

I take another tack, I like that list in general. I just don't know what the costs would be. I think paying 4.5 mil to Ludwick to walk will in effect force Lutz into the role. I am hoping Lutz really does earn playing time. I'm ready to walk from Heisey at this point as well, so maybe you can pick up a decent replacement there.
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    AUGUST 20, 7:15 PM ET @ Busch Stadium
    MORTAL COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Denorfia's career neutralized OBP is .355 and he's been over .330 every year in San Diego. Nori Aoki is a similar story. Both are better defenders than Ludwick too. Would you trade a Carlos Contreras for one of them?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

I'll take a flyer that Nick Markakis will be a Red next season. I'd prefer a bigger hitter, and maybe a RHH, but the Reds have had interest in him before. I think the Reds drafted him once, no?

In any event, Markakis will be a free agent next year since the O's will undoubtedly take the buyout and not the expensive option.

His power is diminished, so he probably won't command a huge contract. Something along the lines of the Ludwick deal with the Reds.

He is a solid get on base, limited power, type hitter who generally puts up a decent BA. That's one kind of hitter that could help Cincy. (Miguel Cabrera would be another type, LOL.)

He seems to fit the mold. I know he'll be 31, but it's not very old. Sign him for a couple of years and then let Winker replace him when the contract is over.

15. Likes:

maniem (05-29-2014), nmculbreth (06-06-2014), REDREAD (05-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I take another tack, I like that list in general. I just don't know what the costs would be. I think paying 4.5 mil to Ludwick to walk will in effect force Lutz into the role. I am hoping Lutz really does earn playing time. I'm ready to walk from Heisey at this point as well, so maybe you can pick up a decent replacement there.
    Lutz is just not considered a significant, major prospect. He still could pan out, and I'd give him a shot. He has power and could be good. But I think he's a long shot. And at best a platooner.

Not against him, willing to try him, he's shown some hitting ability in the minors. But I don't think he's the kind of prospect you count on for a starting role.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    I don't see any player on that list that would be any bit of an improvement over the options that the Reds have now, let alone the significant improvement that this team desperately needs. If the Reds are going to improve LF, free agency isn't going to be the method by which they do so.
    Rios is an improvement, but he's not going anywhere.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Ludwick is sporting a mid .600's OPS as the everyday LFer. To be quite honest, it'd be hard to find somebody who isn't an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-29-2014), Crumbley (05-29-2014), CySeymour (05-29-2014), joshua (09-12-2014), Red Raindog (05-29-2014)

As much as I would love some guaranteed .800+ OPS superstar manning left, I think the most logical route to go is to look for a new Ludwick. I was a proponent of Mike Morse over the last two seasons, but sadly the Giants appear to have beaten us to the punch in terms of buying low and getting top production as he plays towards getting a bigger/better contract.

Maybe a guy like Josh Willingham could fit the bill.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

No draft pick assigned to Nelson Cruz next offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    No draft pick assigned to Nelson Cruz next offseason.
    But it will still cost the Reds their dignity and integrity.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Turn Off Ads?