Mesoraco 2,
    Ludwick 7,
    Pena 3,
    Cozart 6,
    Cingrani LHP

v
    Josh Collmenter, RHP
    3-2, 3.91 ERA
    Collmenter had one of his best outings of the season his last time out. Against the Mets, he went six innings and surrendered only two runs. Collmenter has given up three or fewer earned runs in four of his last six starts.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...mode=probables

AZ Larussas Lineup
    A.J. Pollock CF
    Chris Owings SS
    Paul Goldschmidt 1B
    Martin Prado 3B
    Aaron Hill 2B
    Cody Ross LF
    Gerardo Parra RF
    Tuffy Gosewisch C
    Josh Collmenter P

Is Tuffy Gosewisch really the name of a MLB player? Sounds like a guy on the Yale Squash team.

Reds: Lutz may see time vs. D-backs
    In his first start in the big leagues this season, Donald Lutz played first base Tuesday and went 2-for-4 vs. the Dodgers' Zack Greinke with a double and run scored.

Although Arizona will feature three straight right-handed pitchers in the first three games of the series, Price did not commit to starting the lefty-hitting Lutz. The Reds have had a void at first base, with Joey Votto on the disabled list with a left quad strain.

"I think he'll play, how much he'll play, I don't know exactly," Price said of Lutz. "With Joey out, it does free up some opportunities and playing time at first base. I love what Brayan Pena brings to the club every day he's in the lineup. It's not like there is a glaring hole in our lineup where it's easy to stick Donald into that."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...1&mode=preview
    Last edited by klw; 05-29-2014 at 05:28 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 5/29/14 Reds @ Arizona Larussas @ 9:40pm

I find it very concerning that Bryan Price doesn't view LF as a glaring hole.

4. Likes:

malcontent (05-29-2014), powersackers (05-29-2014), Red Raindog (05-29-2014), SirFelixCat (05-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Collmenter has given up three or fewer earned runs in four of his last six starts.
    Having only eight starts all season, Collmenter has given up at least three runs in six of them. He's pitched more than 6.0 Innings in only one of them. He's given up an average of 5.00 runs per nine innings in those eight starts.

And, he has the lowest ERA of any Arizona starter.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

We scored three runs against Greinke and three runs against Kershaw.

That should translate to at least five tonight, right?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Cmon, you know he couldn't say anything else there.

I do think it just speaks that organizationally the Reds aren't sold on Lutz. They like him enough to keep on the 40 man, and they likely think very well of his LH pop, but they don't seem to coddle him, or make him much of a priority.

from klw: Is Tuffy Gosewisch really the name of a MLB player? Sounds like a guy on the Yale Squash team.

Name:  FAMILY_GUY_BOTTOMTOOTH.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  90.1 KB

9. Likes:

Crumbley (05-29-2014)

My view. Before last night's game Price decided (or was told) to stop messing around with fancy lineups and play his best players. He did. He won.

So we will now get a long string of games with basically this lineup. Tonight it's yesterday's lineup except Bruce hitting cleanup against the righty.

One problem with this is that yesterday's lineup was against a great lefty. Mostly they face righties. So their "best" lineup against righties might include, for example, Schumaker or Lutz.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Can't possibly agree more.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Cmon, you know he couldn't say anything else there.

I do think it just speaks that organizationally the Reds aren't sold on Lutz. They like him enough to keep on the 40 man, and they likely think very well of his LH pop, but they don't seem to coddle him, or make him much of a priority.
    I don't expect him to bury Ludwick and frankly there is no reason to, but I do expect the manager to try and give the team the best chance to win and considering Ludwick is currently sitting at .246/.316/.348 I think Price could give Lutz a run in LF and never really comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    One problem with this is that yesterday's lineup was against a great lefty. Mostly they face righties. So their "best" lineup against righties might include, for example, Schumaker or Lutz.
    I was all for Schumaker over Heisey against RHP in RF when Bruce was down.

But then the Dodgers' announcers noticed on his first swing that his shoulder was still bothering him.

But he's the veteran and when we needed a 3-run HR the other night, Price goes with him over Lutz. Go figure.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

nm

I don't expect him to bury Ludwick...
    Not Donald's job to bury him, that should be Price's.

Just step over the corpse when approaching the plate.

16. Likes:

powersackers (05-29-2014)

I don't expect him to bury Ludwick and frankly there is no reason to, but I do expect the manager to try and give the team the best chance to win and considering Ludwick is currently sitting at .246/.316/.348 I think Price could give Lutz a run in LF and never really comment on it.
    I agree that Ludwick is a problem, and that Lutz should likely get a longer look.

I was just meaning that Price can't be quoted saying that, even if he believes otherwise.

There could just be an organizational push to see if Ludwick can have a 2012 bounce, so that the Reds can feel like they are getting their monies worth. I don't know that's the case, but it wouldn't be unheard of in baseball, where the established veteran got the bulk of playing time, earned or not.

If Votto is out long enough, Lutz may be able to force the issue either way.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Not Donald's job to bury him, that should be Price's.

Just step over the corpse when approaching the plate.
    I meant I don't expect Price to bury Ludwick to the media. I think this team wants to win so I don't really buy that it front office pressure either. I just don't get the line of thinking from Price.

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

We could really close the ground between where we are now and the .500 mark with this Diamondbacks series.

Sure would be nice to get a win streak going again.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

20. Likes:

powersackers (05-29-2014)

Turn Off Ads?