Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 318

Thread: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

  1. #1
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,937

    A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    http://deadspin.com/a-major-league-p...98cf543d3af20e

    It would be one thing if there were consistency across baseball—if everybody followed the same rules, then there'd be some de facto weight behind them. Instead it's 30 different teams with 30 different unwritten rulebooks. I was once told that when you get to the big leagues, a veteran player will take you out and buy you your first suit. That never happened to me or any player I knew in the Padres organization. Instead, Heath Bell bought me a hash brown and a large orange juice at McDonald's once. I was told, "That suit stuff is the kind of thing the Yankees do, not the Padres."

  2. Likes:

    Razor Shines (06-07-2014), reds44 (06-04-2014)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Member Norm Chortleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,333

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    #MillionairePeopleProblems

  5. #3
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,937

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    We discuss here, often, how stupid baseball's "unwritten rules" are, and Hayhurst goes into this in some detail in this article.

    It's written in response to Tim Kurkjian's piece over at ESPN "The Unwritten Canon, Revealed," which Hayhurst thought was a load of manure.

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...nwritten-rules
    Last edited by Always Red; 06-03-2014 at 05:38 PM.

  6. #4
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    Baseball players are idiots. Jonny Gomes in particular seems to be a big scumbag.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  7. Likes:

    DocRed (06-04-2014), reds44 (06-04-2014), wolfboy (06-03-2014)

  8. #5
    The rest is drama. marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the woods, with a shovel
    Posts
    5,119

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Baseball players are idiots. Jonny Gomes in particular seems to be a big scumbag.
    "So many rules and regulations have prevented the players from policing our game. Now, a young guy hits a home run, he cruises around the bases, and then you hit him. . . to teach him a lesson and you get suspended six games.
    What Gomes doesn't tell you is that he was the DH when he hit the guy. And he used his bat.


  9. Likes:

    JayBruceFan (06-20-2014)

  10. #6
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,887

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    Easy solution is don't showboat. Makes you look like trash anyway.

  11. #7
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Easy solution is don't showboat. Makes you look like trash anyway.
    This is stupid.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  12. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (06-04-2014), Cursh14 (06-04-2014), dougdirt (06-04-2014), nmculbreth (07-20-2014), OGB (06-05-2014)

  13. #8
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,664

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    This is stupid.
    Not really. It's what you grow up with - I am older and all the showboating would have gotten a Drysdale or Gibson fastball stuck in your ear. Plus, you'd have lost respect of fans and players like. I realize it's a different generation, and I don't mind it too much but it does grate. To me, it just seems so much classier not to showboat. The world does change, though, and I recognize it is mainly me not keeping up rather than anything bad about young players today. What I'll never get used to is calling other people's opinions stupid because they don't jive with your own.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

  14. Likes:

    Always Red (06-04-2014), Bob Sheed (Yesterday), bucksfan2 (06-05-2014), Hubba (06-05-2014), jimbo (06-04-2014), RedFanAlways1966 (06-04-2014), redsfanmia (06-04-2014), TSJ55 (06-04-2014)

  15. #9
    Member Nasty_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    1st Place... Finally
    Posts
    1,190

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Not really. It's what you grow up with - I am older and all the showboating would have gotten a Drysdale or Gibson fastball stuck in your ear. Plus, you'd have lost respect of fans and players like. I realize it's a different generation, and I don't mind it too much but it does grate. To me, it just seems so much classier not to showboat. The world does change, though, and I recognize it is mainly me not keeping up rather than anything bad about young players today. What I'll never get used to is calling other people's opinions stupid because they don't jive with your own.
    Just because Drysdale and Gibson did it, doesn't make it right. I agree with what you say as far as classiness, and I'm not one that cares for people pulling "look at me" antics. The best way to keep a guy from "pimping" a HR is to get him out. If you don't like guys celebrating a certain way after they get a big hit/strikeout, then do something about it within the context of the game. Trying to physically hurt someone for hurting your feelings is ridiculous. Hayhurst is dead on in this article, IMO. Different teams play by different sets of unwritten rules, so who knows if you are upsetting someone. For the record, I like the Rocco way of watching it fly and putting your head down and running over that of the Ortiz/Puig/Gomez style. I think there is more than enough room in the game for both, but throwing fastballs at someone and possibly affecting their ability to make a living is ridiculous.

    Also, what in the heck is Gomes talking about? I've seen that guy stare down as many HRs as anyone in the game.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

  16. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (06-04-2014), BoxingRed (06-05-2014), dougdirt (06-04-2014), OGB (06-05-2014)

  17. #10
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,042

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Not really. It's what you grow up with - I am older and all the showboating would have gotten a Drysdale or Gibson fastball stuck in your ear. Plus, you'd have lost respect of fans and players like. I realize it's a different generation, and I don't mind it too much but it does grate. To me, it just seems so much classier not to showboat. The world does change, though, and I recognize it is mainly me not keeping up rather than anything bad about young players today. What I'll never get used to is calling other people's opinions stupid because they don't jive with your own.
    It's also much classier to not throw a hissy fit because someone stared at a baseball two seconds longer than you would like and then purposefully throw a baseball 90+ MPH at them in anger like a child throwing a tantrum.

  18. Likes:

    BoxingRed (06-05-2014), M2 (06-04-2014), nmculbreth (07-20-2014), OGB (06-05-2014), Raisor (06-05-2014)

  19. #11
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,664

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    Maybe we can just make bubblewrap suits a batter's standard and let them stand at the edge of the strikezone with impunity (wait they already do that). Make anything closer than the inner middle of the plate a ball so pitchers can't throw inside for any reason. And require all three batters to bunt in the 9th of a no hitter. Who needs the unwritten rules? No one is saying throw at a guy who stares a couple seconds too long. In fact, this is about a lot more than throwing at guys. It is about the whole "code" thing. Players enforce or ignore the "unwritten codes" and nothing fans think about it will change that. Only baseball can change it and they are trying to. It is part of the game that fans and media love to chat up but players simply don't give a fig what anyone else thinks - that's intruding on their world in their minds.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

  20. Likes:

    RANDY IN INDY (06-04-2014)

  21. #12
    Member tomnuetten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Freiburg (Germany)
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    the red sox got angry because someone stole 3rd base already up 5 runs... the benches cleared, the next game the red sox came were down 5 runs and came back to win

    => it is stupid to get angry because someone tries to score runs (and it doesnīt matter how big the lead is) in little league I can understand it but there are certain rules that it doesnīt happen...

    Hitting someone intentionaly because he did something wrong (didnīt run fast enough on a hr or did run while he shouldnīt etc.) is stupid and a cowardly act.. especially in AL where a pitcher can hit someone without the possibility of revenge... you donīt help your teammates, in fact you increase the risk of an injury because most teams have someone on the pitching staff who will remember the incident and return the favour on one of your star teammates...

    If the rules are important, write them down and make them official. I donīt give much on unwritten rules
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

  22. Likes:

    M2 (06-04-2014), OGB (06-05-2014), Wonderful Monds (06-04-2014)

  23. #13
    Haunted by walks
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    6,579

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    I'm old enough to remember when "Charlie Hustle" was not a compliment.

  24. Likes:

    Always Red (06-04-2014), Hoosier Red (06-04-2014)

  25. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,417

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    I'm never going to lose any sleep over an obnoxious show-off getting drilled by a pitcher. I guess if you have never hit a baseball over a fence before, maybe it makes some sense that you pause in astonishment, but if you are just being being an arse, you get what you deserve. I'm just surprised that these players are surprised...

    Bum

  26. #15
    Member Norm Chortleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,333

    Re: A Major League Pitcher's Guide To Baseball's BS Unwritten Rules~ Dirk Hayhurst

    I love the unwritten rules and self-policing of the game. It's only a matter of time before MLB players will be doing the equivalent of sack dances and flexing every time you score a basket.

  27. Likes:

    kpresidente (06-04-2014), TSJ55 (06-04-2014)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25