Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

Re: Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

Cross posting...

Keith Law's latest mock...

19 Touki Toussaint
    SCHOOL: Coral Springs (Fla.) Christian Acad.
    HT: 6-2WT: 195
    POS: RHP

Analysis: I think Toussaint stops here, although I also don't think it's that likely he gets that far -- it largely depends on what the Brewers do. I've also heard Cincinnati connected to Sean Reid-Foley and Spencer Adams.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/...rning-thoughts

***Some personal guesses on players who might go surprisingly high: Forrest Wall, Foster Griffin, and T'Quan Forbes from the high school ranks, Jake Stinnett, Aramis Garcia, and Eric Skogland from the college ranks.

Quotes from CTrent's draft story in the Enquirer.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...draft/9978665/

"Chris works so hard all year long and knows these guys so well, you just rely a lot on your judgement and his faith in his scouts," Jocketty said on Wednesday. "I basically set the tone and set the philosophy of what we're trying to achieve in a particular draft. The main thing the last few days is getting that board arranged in a way we feel that strategically we get the guys we want to get."

With two picks in the first 29 this year, the Reds have more options than in the past.

"We always look for pitching first if we can, but we also now feel that we need to focus on some hitters and having two picks in the first round, we'll see how that works out," Jocketty said. "This is a draft that's deep with pitching, so we'll try to do that, look at pitching first again and see what develops.

"When you're looking at a position, where you may need help sooner, which offensively, we may be looking more for college-type hitters than high school hitters. Last year we drafted a lot of high school guys, it depends on each year and what's available in the draft."

Any relation to Kelly Stinnett?

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    "We always look for pitching first if we can, but we also now feel that we need to focus on some hitters and having two picks in the first round, we'll see how that works out," Jocketty said. "This is a draft that's deep with pitching, so we'll try to do that, look at pitching first again and see what develops.

"When you're looking at a position, where you may need help sooner, which offensively, we may be looking more for college-type hitters than high school hitters. Last year we drafted a lot of high school guys, it depends on each year and what's available in the draft."
    This screams "We really, really, really want Trea Turner" to me.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Cross posting...

19 Touki Toussaint

Analysis: I think Toussaint stops here, although I also don't think it's that likely he gets that far -- it largely depends on what the Brewers do. I've also heard Cincinnati connected to Sean Reid-Foley and Spencer Adams.
    Toussaint would be an A pick, Adams a B pick, and Reid-Foley a D pick. Landing Toussaint would be awesome.

Yeah reading up on Toussaint, I'm really liking the prospect of landing him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Cross posting...

19 Touki Toussaint

I really can't see TT falling all the way to #19. But man, I would love it if he did as he has a very high ceiling.

I don't follow pre-draft much, but I do know this. Buckley has earned our trust.

11. Likes:

dougdirt (06-05-2014),Edd Roush (06-05-2014),HeatherC1212 (06-06-2014),HokieRed (06-05-2014),lollipopcurve (06-05-2014),Tom Servo (06-05-2014)

Both Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo have the Reds taking TCU lefty Brandon Finnegan at 19 and prep lefty Foster Griffin at 29.

(From Mayo's mock)
    19. Cincinnati Reds: Brandon Finnegan, LHP, TCU
    Finnegan very well could be taken anywhere ahead of the Reds' pick. If that happens, Cincy could have interest in a high school pitcher like Reid-Foley or an athletic high school hitter like Hill.

29. Cincinnati Reds: Foster Griffin, LHP, The First Academy (Fla.)
    Griffin has helium as the Draft approaches, and there are teams above this pick who might have interest. If he's gone, the Reds could look at a prep pitcher like Adams.

I asked Keith Law, in his chat, about Finnegan. Law said there's a 75 percent chance he becomes a reliever.

If they draft a reliever in the first round I am going to be...upset.

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-05-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If they draft a reliever in the first round I am going to be...upset.
    The highest the Reds have taken a for sure reliever under Buckley was the 3rd round. They took Sean Watson, who was a reliever at Tennessee in the 2nd and tried making him a starter. They took Lorenzen in the supplemental 1st, and have tried making him a starter. I don't think the Reds will be taking a guy they see as a for sure reliever in the first. They haven't done it under Buckley, or even come close.

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The highest the Reds have taken a for sure reliever under Buckley was the 3rd round. They took Sean Watson, who was a reliever at Tennessee in the 2nd and tried making him a starter. They took Lorenzen in the supplemental 1st, and have tried making him a starter. I don't think the Reds will be taking a guy they see as a for sure reliever in the first. They haven't done it under Buckley, or even come close.
    It's a good point. I am just questioning some of these mocks, which I know are just mocks. Weren't the Reds connected to that lefty from Gonzaga a lot last year?

What are your thoughts on this draft? Would you be happy if they go pitching again early, or do you think they should try to get the best position player available?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It's a good point. I am just questioning some of these mocks, which I know are just mocks. Weren't the Reds connected to that lefty from Gonzaga a lot last year?

What are your thoughts on this draft? Would you be happy if they go pitching again early, or do you think they should try to get the best position player available?
    I'm always a BPA guy. Always.

But, whatever they do, they have earned every right for me to say it was the right call.

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-05-2014),HokieRed (06-05-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm always a BPA guy. Always.

But, whatever they do, they have earned every right for me to say it was the right call.
    Absolutely agree. I honestly am just looking at this selfishly, I want another hitter to track, Winker is by far my favorite player to track in the minors.

Turn Off Ads?