Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

Re: Official 2014 MLB Draft Day One Thread

No beef with Conforto except the defense as you mentioned - I agree he could be a big bat at GABP. Could end up at first base. Schwarber is my pipe dream though. Beede just bugs me - something about him, plus I think it's too high a pick for him. If Buckley likes him I'll go along though - Buckley's hits in the first 2 rounds are startlingly good, so I'll just put my faith in his eye for those early picks. After 2 rounds everyone is just guessing anyway.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 06-05-2014 at 12:34 PM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    Throw Alex Blandino into the mix there with Wall and Chavis. From what I've heard, he could be moved off of 3B to 2B.
    I like Blandino, Wall and Chavis as targets, too. I do hope the Reds draft BPA rather than drafting for need, though. The only position that should not be drafted in the first five rounds is relief pitcher. I really don't like the idea of a 1B with the first two picks, but if the 1B is way better than all other positions (Schwarber), make the pick.

Not too thrilled about BA's mock draft. After weeks of most drafts looking very similar, this one shows real movement after the top few. I suspect it is more accurate, but I hope it is not. Reds are tied to two that seem to be moving down. Within the realm of the possible, I'd rather have a prep arm at 19 and Forbes at 29. I also have a hunch that Ortiz to the Cards will end badly for the Reds.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'm hoping the Reds trade for Joey Gallo and draft Joey Gatto to go along with Joey Votto, just to give the announcers fits.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-05-2014),lollipopcurve (06-05-2014),Tom Servo (06-05-2014)

I don't want Reid-Foley at all. Just feels like a total bust pick.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Doesn't Schwarber make John Kruk look like an athlete?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

9. Likes:

Newport Red (06-05-2014)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I like Blandino, Wall and Chavis as targets, too. I do hope the Reds draft BPA rather than drafting for need, though. The only position that should not be drafted in the first five rounds is relief pitcher. I really don't like the idea of a 1B with the first two picks, but if the 1B is way better than all other positions (Schwarber), make the pick.
    Agreed. Ultimately it should be BPA. But I hope that BPA ends up being one of those you mentioned, so that there's a solid talent in the organization to replace Phillips.

(The Bengals held to their BPA philosophy a few weeks ago and landed Dennard...hopefully the draft gods are likewise kind to the Reds)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-05-2014)

I hope they go BPPA

Best Position Player Available

Monte Harrison, Grant Holmes, Michael Chavis, Jeff Hoffman and Kodi Medeiros are my short list for #19. Mind you, if Touki drops, I'd be all over him.
    Last edited by M2; 06-05-2014 at 01:30 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Im assuming there will be separate threads for the Reds picks and then discussion of them so I wont have to wade through a 75 page thread when I get off work?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Sign me up for a ss/3b with Giancarlo Stanton power. Jacob (Jake) Gatewood. 90% chance he doesn't stick at SS. But there's a chance.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Final Wish List for 19
    Trea Turner SS
    Touki Toussaint RHP
    Kyle Schwarber 1B/OF
    Monte Harrison OF
    Jeff Hoffman RHP
    Sean Newcomb LHP

Final Wish List for 29
    Forrest Wall 2B
    Justus Sheffield LHP
    Max Pentecost C
    Ti'quan Forbes SS
    Kodi Medeiros LHP
    Michael Chavis 2B/3B

I don't want Derek Hill, Erick Fedde, Milton Ramos or Sean Reid-Foley.
    Go BLUE!!!

17. Likes:

mdccclxix (06-05-2014),Old school 1983 (06-05-2014),RED VAN HOT (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I hope they go BPPA

Best Position Player Available
    You can never have too much pitching depth. If the pitcher on the board grades out much more favorably than the best available position player, I hope the Reds go with the pitcher.

19. Likes:

SirFelixCat (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Monte Harrison, Grant Holmes, Michael Chavis, Jeff Hoffman and Kodi Medeiros are my short list for #19. Mind you, if Touki drops, I'd be all over him.
    Aren't there concerns about Medieros' delivery which leads many to believe he is a future bullpen arm? If so, I do not want him.

Also, I would like Chavis, but he seems like a reach at #19.

I'm liking the idea of a bat at 19 and an arm at 29. I like Chavis especially. There are going to be arms at 29 that in most years would be in the teens, if you can believe the reports.

Turn Off Ads?