Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cozart's Swing

Cozart's Swing

I was just wondering, does anyone else notice that Cozart appears to swing straight up in the air? Watch him every time he hits the ball in the air, he looks like he's about to faceplant into the ground from being off-balance. It's probably why 50% of his outs seem to be weak popups.

2. Likes:

David Cubbedge (06-06-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cozart's Swing

Quote Originally Posted by jordan_tm View Post
    I was just wondering, does anyone else notice that Cozart appears to swing straight up in the air? Watch him every time he hits the ball in the air, he looks like he's about to faceplant into the ground from being off-balance. It's probably why 50% of his outs seem to be weak popups.
    Cozart mostly grounds out to the 3rd basemen. If you want to talk about someone who pops out too much. Chris Heisey would be the one.

His groundouts to 3B and SS would be the other 50% of his outs.

I'd like to see him take more of a compact, short-swing approach.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

That has to be why he pops out to the right side 50% of the time.

The fact that he's been doing it forever and he's now 28 tells me the Reds either don't care about it or can't get him to change it.

He's 166 out of 169 in OPS right now. And the notion as expressed by Price a few weeks ago that he could somehow develop into an offensive force is beyond comical.

He seems like a great kid, great teammate. He is an excellent defensive SS. But this lineup cannot hide that bat.
    Last edited by malcontent; 06-05-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

7. Likes:

jordan_tm (06-05-2014)

I heard Chris Welsh comment Wednesday during the game, about how it seemed to him Cozart was off balnce in his swing, with his head down and forward of his body, so he could not generate any real bat speed or solid contact with pitchs away.

I'll take "Things that aren't effective" for $200 please.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

10. Likes:

JayBruceFan (06-06-2014)

I have been saying this very thing to myself for weeks. They don't seem to be working on this at all either. If we can see it, we have to believe that they see it too, right?

12. Likes:

jordan_tm (06-10-2014)

Cozart is the primary reason I did NOT want to trade Didi Gregorius. Bad move, even though we got Choo. NO way would I traded him.

This is the year

Im not sure if im in the twilight zone here. But i always thought cozart is a ground ball king. I dont know how to look up that stat but i would love to know the percentage of his balls in play on the ground compared to in the air. My guess would be around 70% ground balls.

16.3% Strike Out, 31.1% Ground Ball Outs, 47.4% Air Ball Outs (this includes fly balls, pop-ups, and line drives). and he's easily got the worst swing I've ever seen a position player have on a consistent basis.
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 06-07-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

16. Likes:

jordan_tm (06-10-2014),malcontent (06-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    Cozart is the primary reason I did NOT want to trade Didi Gregorius. Bad move, even though we got Choo. NO way would I traded him.
    I think absence makes the heart grow fonder. Gregorius is not really a better player than Cozart. Numbers are about the same except Cozart has more pop (comparing 2013 numbers, DGs only full season in MLB). Cozart does K more. I was also surprised to learn Gregorius didn't steal a base last year...not one in 404 PA.

Really the biggest difference now is Gregorius is no longer the starting SS for his team while Cozart is for the Reds.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-09-2014),RedlegJake (06-09-2014)

I agree Redsbrick. At best Gregorious is a marginal improvement. What getting Gregorious back would do is improve the spot Ramon Santiago occupies. We'd still have a light hitting starting SS no matter which one played.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Gregorius 2014 (AZ): .313 .450 .688 1.138

(Raisor-independent sample size)
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Dear reds batting coach,
    Please give hitting instruction to cozart.
    Thanks!!
    A Reds fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    16.3% Strike Out, 31.1% Ground Ball Outs, 47.4% Air Ball Outs (this includes fly balls, pop-ups, and line drives). and he's easily got the worst swing I've ever seen a position player have on a consistent basis.
    Well, I was close with my 50% guess.

Turn Off Ads?