Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft - Reds Picks and Signings

Re: 2014 MLB Draft - Reds Picks and Signings

While I'd be happy with Palacios, I might rather see them spend $500K on one of the better amateur international SS.

Specifically, Gonzalez, Hernandez, Aracena and Torres - all guys who appear in the BA top 20 and haven't been clearly linked to other teams (that I've seen).
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-02-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    While I'd be happy with Palacios, I might rather see them spend $500K on one of the better amateur international SS.

Specifically, Garcia, Gamboa, Gonzalez and/or Hernandez - all guys who appear in the BA top 15 and haven't been clearly linked to other teams.
    Wouldn't the amateur, international SSs come from a different pool of money (the international pool)? Are these pools interrelated?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Awesome. I would think that would be enough to get Palacios. Let's get it done Walt!
    Bynum seems like a good target, too. I hope the Reds offer them each $125,000 which would be the maximum we could offer without paying a tax. If they both sign, we are right at the pool. If neither of them bite, I would hope the Reds continually offer a bit more, even if it means the Reds are subject to a little bit of tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Wouldn't the amateur, international SSs come from a different pool of money (the international pool)? Are these pools interrelated?
    They are in that they come from the same ultimate source. They don't in that there are different caps and penalties in place. How the Reds think about the two, I have no idea. I'm just suggesting if they have an extra $500K-$1M in their pocket to spend on acquiring amateur talent in the next month, I'd prefer: 1. it be spent and 2. it be spent on high upside middle infield prospects.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I think this is correct...in that it's a different pool. In some ways it doesn't make sense, but that has been my understanding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    They are in that they come from the same ultimate source. They don't in that there are different caps and penalties in place. How the Reds think about the two, I have no idea. I'm just suggesting if they have an extra $500K-$1M in their pocket to spend on acquiring amateur talent in the next month, I'd prefer: 1. it be spent and 2. it be spent on high upside middle infield prospects.
    OK. That makes sense. I would strongly prefer the Reds spend most of their available funds on prospects, rather than replacement level talent in the major leagues. I would hope there is money for the Reds to sign both high upside international talent and the two remaining BA Top 500 players that they drafted.

8. Likes:

Benihana (07-02-2014)

I hope I'm not alarming anyone by posting in this thread, but with just 4 days left, do we think Palacios or anyone else for that matter will still be signed?

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-14-2014)

Kish, the 34th rounder, signed this week.

12. Likes:

Gallen5862 (07-17-2014),klw (07-17-2014)

Any word on the bonus that Kennan Kish got?

Maybe the better question is 'how's his health?' He missed much of the 2013 season and all of 2014 following hip surgery. Further, he is 24 years old. Seems like a long shot at this point. If he received a bonus, I would be surprised. Still, he is the kind of story I tend to pull for.

Are there any other signings or was that it?

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Maybe the better question is 'how's his health?' He missed much of the 2013 season and all of 2014 following hip surgery. Further, he is 24 years old. Seems like a long shot at this point. If he received a bonus, I would be surprised. Still, he is the kind of story I tend to pull for.
    I came across Kennan Kish's name yesterday when we were talking about another prospect from last year's draft. Looking at Baseball-Reference.com, it seems he didn't play (which isn't surprising) last year even though he signed. Any word on what is going on with him. I saw mention in February, 2014 that he needed Tommy John surgery and was ending his baseball career, staying on at Florida as a student manager. Of course, we drafted him in June. I assume he had the surgery. Anyone heard anything more about him since?
    Last edited by redsmetz; 01-22-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I came across Kennan Kish's name yesterday when we were talking about another prospect from last year's draft. Looking at Baseball-Reference.com, it seems he didn't play (which isn't surprising) last year even though he signed. Any word on what is going on with him. I saw mention in February, 2014 that he needed Tommy John surgery and was ending his baseball career, staying on at Florida as a student manager. Of course, we drafted him in June. I assume he had the surgery. Anyone heard anything more about him since?
    I don't know if this answers your question seeing as how it was reported in February, 2014.
    https://twitter.com/CJonesScout/stat...69262307913728
    Quick confirmation on Keenan Kish: his Florida baseball career is over. If a professional opportunity presents itself, he'd give it a shot.

19. Likes:

redsmetz (01-30-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I don't know if this answers your question seeing as how it was reported in February, 2014.
    https://twitter.com/CJonesScout/stat...69262307913728
    I had seen that. I ended up tweeting Jamie Ramsey and he said that Kish is still rehabbing, although he didn't say when he'd be ready to start throwing again. This was a late round draft pick and he was the furthest down draftee to sign with the club. I'm guessing the Reds feel like he was worth a shot and there might be some hope that he can come back from the surgery. It will be interesting to see. I didn't notice about where he rated prior to his injury.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?