Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft - Reds Picks and Signings

Re: 2014 MLB Draft - Reds Picks and Signings

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    7th rounder Shane Mardirosian seems to be signed according to his twitter account:

Leavin' Tomorrow night Cali! Can't wait got my next step in my life #CincinnatiRed
    MLBTraderumors.com is reporting that Mirdirosian signed above slot at $350K.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

7th-rder Shane Mardirosian, @Reds agree on $350k. (pick 215 value = $173,200). Calif HS INF, sparkplug w/speed & line-drive bat. @MLBDraft
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jimcallis...71300934533120

4. Likes:

redsmetz (06-11-2014)

The Mardirosian signing pretty much wipes out the savings from the other signings. Hopefully, they can save a little on #9 and #10. I'd like to see them sign Trees.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...d=cin#79287492

• The Reds announced the signing of four picks from the 2014 First-Year Player Draft on Wednesday. They were right-hander Tejay Antone (fifth round), left-hander Jacob Moody (17th round), right-hander Tyler Parmenter (21st round) and first baseman Paul Kronenfeld (25th round).

7. Likes:

dougdirt (06-12-2014)

Confirms my three favorite picks from this draft- Marshall, Mardirosian and Sparks.
    Go BLUE!!!

The Reds signed their 9th Round Pick (Brian Hunter) and 10th Round Pick (Seth Varner) for $5,000 each. They are now $275,000 under their slot allotment.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/index.php

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    The Reds signed their 9th Round Pick (Brian Hunter) and 10th Round Pick (Seth Varner) for $5,000 each. They are now $275,000 under their slot allotment.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/index.php
    Sucks to be a senior.

Sucks to be a senior.
    Yes and No. At least they should have a college degree to fall back on, and, who knows, maybe a MLB career to boot.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Sucks to be a senior.
    Has this become a strategy? Is it an unintended consequence of the CBA? If they had drafted the HS players that they valued more at 8, 9, and 10 and then not been able to sign them, it is my understanding that they would have lost that money. This way, they saved money that they can now use to lure one or more of those HS players from their college commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Has this become a strategy? Is it an unintended consequence of the CBA? If they had drafted the HS players that they valued more at 8, 9, and 10 and then not been able to sign them, it is my understanding that they would have lost that money. This way, they saved money that they can now use to lure one or more of those HS players from their college commitments.
    It is absolutely a strategy. Teams know that about five seniors a year, if that, can demand actual money for a signing bonus. Now that they have set spending caps and harsh penalties, seniors are going in the first 10 rounds that previously would have gone in rounds 10-30 because it will save teams half a million bucks to spend elsewhere by drafting two seniors in the top 10 rounds. You still get quality players, but you don't have to pay them because well, what are they going to do, say no thanks? Unless they are a first half of the first round talent, they don't have much leverage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Yes and No. At least they should have a college degree to fall back on, and, who knows, maybe a MLB career to boot.
    It still sucks, degree and pro contract or not. The market value of a player with their skillset is much higher than they are getting.

It is absolutely a strategy. Teams know that about five seniors a year, if that, can demand actual money for a signing bonus. Now that they have set spending caps and harsh penalties, seniors are going in the first 10 rounds that previously would have gone in rounds 10-30 because it will save teams half a million bucks to spend elsewhere by drafting two seniors in the top 10 rounds. You still get quality players, but you don't have to pay them because well, what are they going to do, say no thanks? Unless they are a first half of the first round talent, they don't have much leverage.

- - - Updated - - -

It still sucks, degree and pro contract or not. The market value of a player with their skillset is much higher than they are getting.
    What happens if a college senior turns down the signing bonus? Will he become available to all 30 teams? If not, I think that is what should happen. They should be allowed to become free agents.

If a player refuses to sign then he goes back into the draft the next year and the team loses the slot money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    If a player refuses to sign then he goes back into the draft the next year and the team loses the slot money.
    I suspect that these seniors want to play and have few options. They can take the token bonus and start their careers, or, they can go independent ball and try to establish enough value to merit a higher contract. The latter course seems to be more of a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    What happens if a college senior turns down the signing bonus? Will he become available to all 30 teams? If not, I think that is what should happen. They should be allowed to become free agents.
    If guys could just become free agents by turning down their offers, everyone would do it and just go play for their favorite team/the team willing to spend the most money and destroy the entire purpose of the draft.

If guys could just become free agents by turning down their offers, everyone would do it and just go play for their favorite team/the team willing to spend the most money and destroy the entire purpose of the draft.
    I am saying this would only be an option for college seniors. As it stands now these players have basically 0 leverage.

Turn Off Ads?