Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Supplemental First Round Pick: Alex Blandino

Re: 2014 Supplemental First Round Pick: Alex Blandino

Separate from the idea that higher upside players were available when Blandino was picked, I do like the overall profile of an athletic 2b/SS/3b with good plate discipline that performed well in the Cape Cod league. Not a bad pick, just not a high value "steal" type of pick on the surface.
    2015 Rotation: Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani

2. Turn Off Ads?

Middle infielder described as "one of the top college bats in the draft." Sounds like a solid pick to me.

4. Likes:

marcshoe (06-06-2014), mdccclxix (06-06-2014), Tom Servo (06-06-2014)

"Like Alex, Todd Frazier was a shortstop," Reds senior director of amateur scouting Chris Buckley said. "Todd got beat out to be the USA shortstop by Zack Cozart. It fits right into [our club] as a baseball player and a high-character guy."

Blandino, who is listed at 6-feet and 190 pounds, was ranked as the 52nd-best Draft prospect by MLB.com. Buckley, however, did not believe that the Reds were reaching up too high to take Blandino at 29.

"That's very subjective. It could be who that particular writer got his information from or whatever," Buckley said. "We've scouted him. We've seen him a lot. He plays at a high level. We're excited to have him."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin
    2015 Rotation: Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I wonder if Todd Walker is a good comp for him?

Maybe Neil Walker to keep it a bit more current?
    I've been claiming for years that they're the same person.

Of course, iirc Neil started out as a catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Middle infielder described as "one of the top college bats in the draft." Sounds like a solid pick to me.
    I know that the best practice seems to be to take the best available player, but man, this organization needs middle infielders. I would have been disappointed if one of the top two picks hadn't been an MI.

I did find the Baseball American guy working for MLB Network's comment that Stanford's hitters all use an approach that fails at the pro level so they all have to come up with a new one. I don't know if the comment was interesting or just bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    I did find the Baseball American guy working for MLB Network's comment that Stanford's hitters all use an approach that fails at the pro level so they all have to come up with a new one. I don't know if the comment was interesting or just bizarre.
    I read where someone claims that Stanford basically encourages their hitters to make contact, even if that means they don't hit the ball as hard as they otherwise would. That seems to me to be a strategy that would work with some players but not with others. Given the scouting report in an above post, it also doesn't seem that Blandino totally buys into this philosophy, so he may not need to be corrected as much as previous Stanford prospects. The Cape Cod numbers are also encouraging.m gue

I'm guessing he'll be fast-tracked, given his experience and the Reds' needs.
    '
    Last edited by marcshoe; 06-06-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Eric that is a common criticism but here is an article that refutes it:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2613178.html

Here are some Stanford Cardinals playing in the majors:
    Sam Fuld
    Carlos Quentin
    Jason Castro
    Jed Lowrie
    John Mayberry Jr
    Ryan Garko
    Michael Taylor

I'm not sure the "Stanford Cardinal Way" is as bad a thing as some like to make it
    No - I am not from State Farm!

12. Likes:

marcshoe (06-06-2014), mdccclxix (06-06-2014), RedTeamGo! (06-06-2014), Tom Servo (06-06-2014)

Whoa Whoa Whoa - Ryan Garko is currently in the majors?

Take it for what it's worth - Bleacher Report said the Blandino pick was very good by the Reds. Said there were grumblings he was going to be drafted 2-3 picks after 29 so they jumped on him.

The more I read about the first day yesterday, I like it. Howard and Blandino should both move quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Whoa Whoa Whoa - Ryan Garko is currently in the majors?
    Not currently but you get the point.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Not currently but you get the point.
    That wasn't meant as snark, my mind was blown at the thought of Garko still in the majors.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That wasn't meant as snark, my mind was blown at the thought of Garko still in the majors.
    IIRC, someone here was adamant that we trade Votto (and I think Bailey) for the Indians for Garko. A RH power bat to hit between Griffey and Dunn. Obviously before Bailey and Votto became Bailey and Votto.

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-06-2014)

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    IIRC, someone here was adamant that we trade Votto (and I think Bailey) for the Indians for Garko. A RH power bat to hit between Griffey and Dunn. Obviously before Bailey and Votto became Bailey and Votto.
    Let's not dredge that on up again, the original poster in question has discussed that he didn't express his opinion on that one that way he meant, and also even admitted to learning something from their perceptions at that time (a rare instance on Redzone of a poster really admitting that they got one wrong, and felt like they learned something from it). I thought it was actually a really cool resoluation on both sides of the discussion. And to be fair. Garko at the time was stinging the ball at a young age, and there was probably less known about defensive stats to know the guy was a butcher unless you saw him play.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Eric that is a common criticism but here is an article that refutes it:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2613178.html

Here are some Stanford Cardinals playing in the majors:
    Sam Fuld
    Carlos Quentin
    Jason Castro
    Jed Lowrie
    John Mayberry Jr
    Ryan Garko
    Michael Taylor

I'm not sure the "Stanford Cardinal Way" is as bad a thing as some like to make it
    That's a pretty poor list of players once you get past Quentin and Lowrie. I'd say the article reinforces the criticism rather than refutes it. Texas is another powerhouse program that really struggles to produce position players.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

20. Likes:

marcshoe (06-06-2014)

You know, I'm guessing Blandino would seem more exciting if his last name was Anything-else-ino. The "bland" part of his name really burnishes itself into the human brain.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

22. Likes:

Benihana (06-06-2014), cincyinco (06-07-2014), Edd Roush (06-06-2014), REDREAD (06-06-2014)

Turn Off Ads?