Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Supplemental First Round Pick: Alex Blandino

Re: 2014 Supplemental First Round Pick: Alex Blandino

Been watching Stanford the last couple days in the super regionals, and I like what I see of Blandino. Good actions at 3B -- I don't think 2B will be a problem, and I think he'll survive at SS in the lower minors. Nice swing -- looks like he's got strong hands/wrists. Optimistic about this player. Turns out his father is Nicaraguan.

Also like what I've seen of Sparks. Athletic for a big guy, and he can handle 3B.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-08-2014), HokieRed (06-08-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Got to watch Blandino in person all weekend. He looks, defensively, like a 3B to me. Stanford had him playing pretty tight all weekend (Vandy loves to bunt) and it was hard to get a true read on his range. (Also, Stanford had a couple guys who were sliiiiiiiiiick playing MI.) Made a couple very nice, quick, lateral plays. Two specifically today that were pretty head-turning. But he also made a couple ill-advised, rushed throws.

At the plate, has plenty of bat speed to handle mid-90s fastballs, as did their whole team... Wow. Hard to get a read off of much seeing just 3 games and watching his group hit BP once.

I liked him. I don't love him.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

5. Likes:

lollipopcurve (06-10-2014)

Blandino seems like this year's attempt at a Winker/SMB/sound approach type hitter. Reds are trying to get this type hitter in the system. Solid line drive hitter with good discipline.

With this type of guy the Reds may not be focusing too much on position or defense, just trying to "change the culture" a bit from the righty power bats that have been so prevalent in their system.

The reports on his bat are very good, if he hits they'll find a spot for him.

7. Likes:

757690 (06-10-2014), Old school 1983 (06-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Blandino seems like this year's attempt at a Winker/SMB/sound approach type hitter. Reds are trying to get this type hitter in the system. Solid line drive hitter with good discipline.

With this type of guy the Reds may not be focusing too much on position or defense, just trying to "change the culture" a bit from the righty power bats that have been so prevalent in their system.

The reports on his bat are very good, if he hits they'll find a spot for him.
    Exactly. The Reds have lacked guys with a solid plate approach outside of Votto. IMO guys with a good approach that hit hard line drives will succeed in Cincinnati because the stadium doesn't require huge power to hit home runs, and walks and gap line drives will still play on the road. It's a nice shift from the poor approach but slightly plus pop we've seen for awhile.

The good news is that I don't think this is Devin Lohman II. Sounds like his floor is at least decent. His ceiling though doesn't seem too high. I hope he does awesome though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    This pick screams "Brandon Phillips' eventual replacement." Well, maybe doesn't scream it, but does suggest it.

And that's fine. BP only has three years left on his contract after this one. It's time the organization starts thinking about who his replacement will be. No way Blandino stays at SS. He doesn't even play SS for his college team. He might play SS for Dayton, but he won't by the time he gets to MLB. He'll be a second baseman from everything I'm reading. And I like that. I would have liked to have seen a legit SS, but I don't mind this pick at all.

The only thing that worries me is -- as others have mentioned -- Buckley has a track record of whiffing on position players in the supplemental first round/second round range. Jeff Gelalich, Ryan LaMarre, Devin Lohman, Gabriel Rosa, etc.
    I came across this scouting report from last fall that suggests he'll end up at 2nd base.

http://macksmets.blogspot.com/2013/1...rdon-alex.html

"Blandino gets the unfortunate label of a ‘tweener’ — he doesn’t have the athleticism to play shortstop and the bat doesn’t likely play at third — but I certainly think he has the athleticism and offensive ability to be an average to above-average regular at second base. "
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-10-2014)

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

For some reason, his last name reminds me of this guy:

Name:  221681621_f1aed2db94_m.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  14.4 KB
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    His ceiling though doesn't seem too high.
    Blandino in 2013: .268 .340 .453 .792

Unless last year was an aberration, I'd have to agree.

Give me Sheffield, Wall or Harrison over Late Helium.
    Last edited by malcontent; 06-11-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Blandino in 2013: .268 .340 .453 .792

Unless last year was an aberration, I'd have to agree.

Give me Sheffield, Wall or Harrison over Late Helium.
    I definitely cannot know whether this pick is the correct one or not at this stage, but one thing that has to be kept in mind with college stats is the small sample size each each season represents. Blandino only got 207 PAs in 2013 and had a .285 BABIP in 2013. For a guy who sprays line drives like he does and has that kind of power, .285 is abnormally low. Blandino's 2013 PAs are equivalent to the size of about 1/3 of a normal major league starter's PAs.

Some statistics for the optimists out there is how much Blandino has improved with his approach throughout his time at Stanford. Freshman year he struck out 17.3% of the time, sophomore year he struck out 15.9% of the time and his final year at Stanford he has only struck out 12.1% of the time. He has also increased his walk rate throughout his three years at Stanford. Freshman year he only walked 6.7% of the time, sophomore year he walked 8.2% of the time and his final year at Stanford he walked 11.0% of the time. If Blandino can keep progressing with his approach, he will be a good guy to have at the top of the line-up.

The Reds could have taken Blandino over Sheffield, Wall or Harrison because Blandino has three more years of development at a top program on those HS guys and while his 2013 wasn't elite, his 2014 was very impressive. In between his 2013 and 2014 at Stanford, he also had a very impressive year in the Cape Cod League.

Blandino may not have the pure upside of Sheffield, Wall or Harrison, but he can still be a very good player in his own right and can take over for one of the aging cogs of the Reds at 2B in a more timley manner than Wall or the other HS potential 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Blandino may not have the pure upside of Sheffield, Wall or Harrison, but he can still be a very good player in his own right and can take over for one of the aging cogs of the Reds at 2B in a more timley manner than Wall or the other HS potential 2B.
    Sorry, but if this is the rationale behind the pick, then I'm dead-set against it. Sign a Mark Ellis if need be. I want higher upside at this spot in the draft. My only hope is that Buckley sees something.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

16. Likes:

Benihana (06-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Sorry, but if this is the rationale behind the pick, then I'm dead-set against it. Sign a Mark Ellis if need be. I want higher upside at this spot in the draft. My only hope is that Buckley sees something.
    Mark Ellis was actually a very good player in his prime. In 2005 he had a fWAR of 4.3 and in 2007 he had a fWAR of 4.0. He provided the A's with a lot of surplus value when he was under contract in Oakland. He is actually very similar to what the Reds could hope for from Blandino.

With that being said, Alex Blandino in his prime profiles to have much more power than the aged Mark Ellis that was signed by the Cardinals to a 1 year, 5.2 million dollar deal. Plus, it's not like there are a lot of Ellis' out there in free agency and it's not like 5.2 million is chump change, either.

Pure upside is not everything. If you believed that, you would be taking Wily Mo Pena as a prospect over Jay Bruce as a prospect. You have to balance the ceiling with the likelihood of reaching the ceiling and how long it will take to get to the ceiling when evaluating a prospect.

Just because the guy profiles to have a good chance to be a very good player does not make him worse than a guy who has a much smaller chance of being a superstar, but will much more likely be a guy who can never amounts to much in the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Completely agree, and one of the reasons I do not like the pick at all.

This is the biggest reason why I hate drafting for "depth" and "high floor" over high upside. It is easy and cheap to acquire below average major leaguers (or minor leaguers for that matter). It is neither cheap nor easy to acquire impact players. That is why small market teams especially need to focus on drafting potential impact players. That is my beef with Buckley's drafting philosophy toward hitters in a nutshell.
    Go BLUE!!!

19. Likes:

malcontent (06-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Completely agree, and one of the reasons I do not like the pick at all.

This is the biggest reason why I hate drafting for "depth" and "high floor" over high upside. It is easy and cheap to acquire below average major leaguers (or minor leaguers for that matter). It is neither cheap nor easy to acquire impact players. That is why small market teams especially need to focus on drafting potential impact players. That is my beef with Buckley's drafting philosophy toward hitters in a nutshell.
    Who says the Reds are drafting for depth with Blandino? Also, who is saying Blandino is destined to be a below average major leaguer?

The Reds may hope Blandino has a similar career arc to a Todd Frazier. No one thinks thought Frazier was dripping with upside as a prospect and was a college guy like Blandino. Frazier steadily produced at the minor league level until he reached Louisville and then the Reds gave him the call in 2012 and he produced 2.6 fWAR that year, then he had 3.3 fWAR in 2013 and already has 2.5 fWAR in 2014.

Frazier was probably looked at as a "high floor" guy, but even then, he certainly is not a below average major leaguer.

I am not saying that Blandino will hit (or defend) like Todd Frazier. I am just using Todd an example of the kind of career progression the Reds could hope to see from Blandino.

Pure upside is not everything. There is something to be said about the likelihood of being an average major league player (which smaller market teams cannot afford to buy at market rates in free agency) and proximity to helping the big league team out.

Blandino was ranked the 30th best draft prospect by Baseball America. Chris Buckley and the Reds weren't the only people who seemed to think he was good. End of the day, if he can stick at second base defensively, thats an above-average bat.

22. Likes:

Dan (06-12-2014), SirFelixCat (06-12-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Mark Ellis was actually a very good player in his prime. In 2005 he had a fWAR of 4.3 and in 2007 he had a fWAR of 4.0. He provided the A's with a lot of surplus value when he was under contract in Oakland. He is actually very similar to what the Reds could hope for from Blandino.

With that being said, Alex Blandino in his prime profiles to have much more power than the aged Mark Ellis that was signed by the Cardinals to a 1 year, 5.2 million dollar deal. Plus, it's not like there are a lot of Ellis' out there in free agency and it's not like 5.2 million is chump change, either.
    Mark Ellis was a 9th round pick. And it's not like signing and developing Blandino is free.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Turn Off Ads?