Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds 2014 Third Round Pick: Wyatt Strahan

Reds 2014 Third Round Pick: Wyatt Strahan

Please post all Wyatt Strahan (RHP) SoCal info here

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds 2014 Third Round Pick: Wyatt Strahan

Pro body, strong frame that can carry another 10 plus pounds of good weight.
    *Relatively easy velocity, runs fastball up to 97, working 92-95 without a max effort delivery.

*Fastball has life, jumps out of hand, at times with excellent action towards the arm side, more movement when he dials back.

*Breaking ball has some depth, late downward action with lateral movement.

*Comfortably works the change up in the arsenal. 79-82 with armside fade and some downward action.

*Doesn’t repeat his delivery well, speeds up and slows down tempo. Could get better extension too, tends to cut his actions short, not finishing delivery,not getting the back leg through.

*Pure stuff is excellent, seems like the stuff should miss more bats (may lack deception)(63 K’s in 107 collegiate innings)

(Not my scouting report)

From RedTeamgo in draft thread

mlb.com:

6'3" 205lbs DOB: 04/18/93 | Scouting video
    Strahan has been effective throughout his career at Southern Cal, first as a freshman reliever in 2012, then as the team's Saturday starter in 2013. As USC's Friday starter this year, he started to pour it on and boost his Draft stock as the spring progressed. With a big, strong, durable frame, Strahan looks well built to eat up a lot of innings in the future. He's added velocity and touches the mid 90s somewhat consistently with a fastball that also features a good amount of sink. His hard curve has the chance to be an out pitch, and he shows good deception and sink with his changeup at times as well. He gets praise for his mound presence, though he does need to improve his control in the future. Strahan isn't among the first college arms that will be called during the Draft's early rounds, but the strong right-hander has the chance to be a nice find in the next tier of advanced arms.

Blah. Graves should have been the pick. Not impressed with any of the Reds first 4 picks.

This is Buckley's wheelhouse right here: College pitchers taken in the third or fourth round. Therefore, I expect Strahan to be a standout.

Zach Stewart, Donnie Joseph, Dan Langfield, Tony Cingrani and Ben Lively. Those are five that come to mind immediately.

Keep a close eye on this kid. Hopefully he pitches well at Billings and then gets a cup of coffee at Dayton before the season is over.
    All-Star Game hosts and World Series champs in 2015

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-08-2014), RedlegJake (06-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    This is Buckley's wheelhouse right here: College pitchers taken in the third or fourth round. Therefore, I expect Strahan to be a standout.

Zach Stewart, Donnie Joseph, Dan Langfield, Tony Cingrani and Ben Lively. Those are five that come to mind immediately.

Keep a close eye on this kid. Hopefully he pitches well at Billings and then gets a cup of coffee at Dayton before the season is over.
    Agreed. Moscot too.
    Go BLUE!!!

Judging by some of the tweets on his thread, Strahan is a redhead whose nickname is "Big Donkey." I wonder if he likes recliners.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Judging by some of the tweets on his thread, Strahan is a redhead whose nickname is "Big Donkey." I wonder if he likes recliners.
    Keith Law projects Strahan to be one of the fastest to the majors of those drafted on Day 2.
    Go BLUE!!!

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Keith Law projects Strahan to be one of the fastest to the majors of those drafted on Day 2.
    Damn, until this, I was excited about the Strahan pick.

Kidding, kind of. I just have a deep dislike for Keith Law. And it's not just dislike. I don't respect his work. He is wrong so often that it's amazing. I remember him literally making fun of the Billy Hamilton pick in the second round. Hmmm. How's that lookin'?
    All-Star Game hosts and World Series champs in 2015

If nothing else we sure agree about Law, Chuckie!
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Here's an article about him from the Orange County Register from last year.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/strah...e-starter.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Wyatt Strahan. Now THAT is a great baseball name. Actually, it's a great name for a cowboy. There should be a Western starring someone with that name.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-11-2014)

Turn Off Ads?