Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Reds Fourth Round pick: Gavin LaValley

Re: 2014 Reds Fourth Round pick: Gavin LaValley

Why is MLB.com so bad about listing the correct positions for players? Everyone says LaValley is a 1B, yet MLB.com lists him as a 3B.

1B makes much more sense. The Reds have a lot of intriguing young 3B in the system such as Seth Meijas-Brean, Tanner Rahier, Kevin Franklin and this year's second-round pick Taylor Sparks. LaValley does seem like a steal in the fourth round, even though he wasn't on BP's top 500 list. Although, perhaps his ranking (lack thereof) was hurt by the fact that he's a year older than your typical HS senior.

Bottom line: I like the pick a lot. And I don't think getting him to sign instead of playing for free at Oklahoma will be a problem. His tweet makes me even more confident about that.
    All-Star Game hosts and World Series champs in 2015

2. Turn Off Ads?

I love guys with outstanding bat speed. Votto ain't going anywhere for the length of his contract, so any 1B has a future of an injury fill-in/PH/occasional inter-league DH. I would expect the Reds to look seriously at trying him at 3B, LF and even Catcher early.

In a few years, Votto could be open to playing LF, if his knees allow. Also, a nice bat in this era of low scoring makes great trade bait.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    In a few years, Votto could be open to playing LF, if his knees allow. Also, a nice bat in this era of low scoring makes great trade bait.
    I suppose anything is possible, but why would Votto switch to LF in a few years, in his early 30's, post-knee trouble, if he wouldn't do it in his mid 20's with no injury issues? Seems unlikely.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I love guys with outstanding bat speed. Votto ain't going anywhere for the length of his contract, so any 1B has a future of an injury fill-in/PH/occasional inter-league DH. I would expect the Reds to look seriously at trying him at 3B, LF and even Catcher early.
    A HS kid from Oklahoma is very likely at least five years from making any kind of big league contribution. While we know what his contract is, who knows what Votto's health situation will be in 2020?

I can't imagine there is going to be much room for him as a 3B in this system, given the Frazier, Silviero, SMB, Rahier, Sparks, Franklin, Marshall and possibly even Blandino glut.
    Go BLUE!!!

Worry bout the bat first. The position can come later. If he hits a ton they'll find someplace to play him or make a deal.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-09-2014), nmculbreth (06-10-2014), Old school 1983 (06-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Worry bout the bat first. The position can come later. If he hits a ton they'll find someplace to play him or make a deal.
    That's fair
    Go BLUE!!!

I think the NL is going to adopt the DH relatively soon

12. Likes:

mth123 (06-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think the NL is going to adopt the DH relatively soon
    I don;t like it but I agree. It's coming.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Indeed. With the paucity of power bats in MLB I trust the Reds will have no trouble finding a place for him to play if he can hit.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I suppose anything is possible, but why would Votto switch to LF in a few years, in his early 30's, post-knee trouble, if he wouldn't do it in his mid 20's with no injury issues? Seems unlikely.
    A 32 year old with 10 years MLB experience sees things differently than a 25 year old with just a few years experience. I doubt his knees would allow it, but I can see him mellowing on his stubbornness as he ages.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    A 32 year old with 10 years MLB experience sees things differently than a 25 year old with just a few years experience. I doubt his knees would allow it, but I can see him mellowing on his stubbornness as he ages.
    You mean like KGJ and RF?

17. Likes:

757690 (06-10-2014)

4th-rder Gavin LaValley's bonus from @Reds = $525k, more than $411,900 pick value at 125. Oklahoma HS 1B w/tremendous bat speed.

https://twitter.com/jimcallisMLB/sta...45402691276800

Great to see him sign. Will be fun to watch.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

He is my FAV pick of the entire draft

Turn Off Ads?