Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Reds Fourth Round pick: Gavin LaValley

Re: 2014 Reds Fourth Round pick: Gavin LaValley

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    A 32 year old with 10 years MLB experience sees things differently than a 25 year old with just a few years experience. I doubt his knees would allow it, but I can see him mellowing on his stubbornness as he ages.
    Fair point. Then again, I'm not sure the Reds medical staff and management are going to allow a 32 year-old Votto to move to the OF.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

With BP at SS and Billy in CF, there won't be many balls making it to JV in LF.

The Big Valley is quickly becoming my favorite minor-leaguer since at least the salad days for Ronald Torreyes.

LaValley has his average up to .301 and is slashing .385/.470/.855 with three home runs and 14 RBI. And he's walked 11 times compared to only 18 strikeouts.

Would love to see Big Valley get a bump this summer. Billings, maybe?

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-20-2014),Kevin1476 (07-20-2014),mth123 (07-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Soup View Post
    The Big Valley is quickly becoming my favorite minor-leaguer since at least the salad days for Ronald Torreyes.

LaValley has his average up to .301 and is slashing .385/.470/.855 with three home runs and 14 RBI. And he's walked 11 times compared to only 18 strikeouts.

Would love to see Big Valley get a bump this summer. Billings, maybe?
    Love the name and he is very interesting. Hard to judge anything until full season ball though and even then, AA is where Stats start to get me excited about big league potential. Until then, anything they do just means they haven't crashed and burned and get a look at the next level.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

RedlegJake (07-20-2014),Steve4192 (08-02-2014),WrongVerb (07-20-2014)

If he makes it to the show, Chris Berman will no doubt make the call 'Gavin, how green was my, LaValley'.

This kid looks like a keeper. It's early and it's a small sample size, but I love his numbers thus far with the AZL Reds:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=656642

.885 OPS (3 HRs, 8 doubles, 1 triple in 119 ABs).

I hope he gets called up to Billings this year and plays next year at Dayton. That will be a big jump for him, but he's a year older than the typical recent HS graduate (he'll be 20 in December).

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

LaValley now up to .318/.409/.515 in 154 PAs. I would like to see him promoted ASAP so that he can get a handful of PAs in Billings before the year is up. If LaValley could hit well against the slightly more advanced pitching, perhaps the Reds' brass would be more willing to start him at Dayton next year.

As Chuckie noted in the post above, Gavin will be 20 at the beginning of next year, so age wise he would not be too much younger than others in the MWL.

What an incredible start to his career. He is certainly an intriguing player.

What's interesting is that he does appear to be playing third base every day. It would be interesting to read a report on his defense because his bat is very intriguing.

13. Likes:

Benihana (08-09-2014),Old school 1983 (08-08-2014)

Gavin is definitely not as fat as he used to be:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jl6J7vVB_400x400.jpeg 
Views:	946 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	7749

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-08-2014),Tom Servo (08-09-2014)

My thoroughly-thought-out and scrupulously-research comp of just this moment: Troy Glaus.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Soup View Post
    What's interesting is that he does appear to be playing third base every day. It would be interesting to read a report on his defense because his bat is very intriguing.
    With Frazier, SMB, Rahier, Sparks, LaValley and eventually Montrell Marshall, 3B is the deepest position in the organization.

I'd like to see them move last years 2nd round pick Keven Franklin behind the dish.
    Go BLUE!!!

I bet he'll end up as a first baseman if/when he makes to the Majors, but I sure love his bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I bet he'll end up as a first baseman if/when he makes to the Majors, but I sure love his bat.
    Chuckie,

You are looking like Carnac the great.

21 years old now and raking in the FSL league. May not be able to stick at 3rd base how ever.

Think we need to start talking about this guy as he is quickly becoming a borderline top 100 guy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gavin2.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	11216.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Think we need to start talking about this guy as he is quickly becoming a borderline top 100 guy.
    I think he'll need to go on a real power binge for that to happen. Love what he's been doing though.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?