Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Reds MLB Draft signing discussion

2014 Reds MLB Draft signing discussion

Please discuss matters related to the Reds' 2014 draft class here.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2014 Reds MLB Draft signing discussion

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

Logan Browning (LHP, Lakeland Christian HS)
    Son of former Major League All-Star pitcher Tim Browning, selected in the 36th round (1,085th overall) by the Reds.

Robert Byckowski (3B, Blythe Academy)
    Son of Reds crosschecker Bill Byckowski, selected in the 22nd round (664th overall) by the Reds.

Montrell Marshall (3B, South Gwinnett HS)
    Cousin of three-time All-Star Brandon Phillips, selected in the 12th round (365th overall) by the Reds.

Bo Tucker (LHP, Rome HS)
    Stepson of Braves scout Brian Bridges, selected in the 38th round (1,145th overall) by the Reds.

4. Likes:

757690 (06-08-2014)

http://rhodyrampage.com/2014/06/07/2...ncinnati-reds/

2014 MLB Draft: Rhode Island’s Ty Sterner Drafted by the Cincinnati Reds

Sterner was the 695th overall selection as part of the third and final day of this year’s draft.

The big lefty just completed his junior season at URI, finishing the year at 0-7 with a 5.43 ERA. Not exactly eye-catching numbers, but Sterner was selected based more on his ceiling than anything else. This year, his first as a starter, Sterner struck out 8.31 batters per game, good for best on the team. And although he didn’t record a win, his final start of 2014 was probably his most impressive. Against Richmond, Sterner went seven innings, allowing two runs on four hits while striking out 11 (a career-high).

That wasn’t the only notable performance of the season by the Worcester, MA native, however. Back on April 25, Sterner allowed just two runs (one earned) on four hits in seven and a third innings against VCU, although he only fanned four in that one. Another highly underrated part of Sterner’s game is his ability to hold runners on. It’s not that surprising given that Ty is a lefty, but basestealers only had a 46.2 percent success rate against Sterner. That number includes a team-high seven pick-offs this season – no other URI pitcher had more than five.

D1 teams still playing"
    http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/baseball/d1

Looks like it only effects the first 3 picks for the Reds. I have no idea if any HS, D2/3, or JC seasons are still going.

UC Irvine- 2nd Taylor Sparks
    Texas
    Louisville
    Stanford-1st round- Blandino
    Vandy
    Texas Tech
    Col of Charleston
    TCU
    Pepperdine
    Ole Miss
    Louisiana- Lafayette
    Virginia -- 1st round- Howard
    Maryland
    Last edited by klw; 06-08-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Taylor Sparks, Adam Alcantara lead UC Irvine to 8-4 win vs. Oklahoma State
    John Tranchina | The Associated Press
    Last Updated - Jun 7, 2014 02:32 EDT

STILLWATER, Okla. -- Taylor Sparks had four hits and scored twice, and Adam Alcantara's two-run single in the fourth inning gave UC Irvine a lead it would not relinquish in an 8-4 victory against Oklahoma State on Friday night in the NCAA Super Regionals.
    http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/ar...in-vs-oklahoma

keith laws thoughts on Reds draft:

I thought the Reds reached for their first pick, Virginia reliever Nick Howard (Round 1), who has two plus pitches in a relief role but just an average fastball without life or downhill plane when starting. However, I loved their sandwich-round selection, Stanford third baseman Alex Blandino, who was among the best pure hitters in the draft class, with a great swing and outstanding plate discipline that showed this spring and last summer in the Cape Cod League as well. He's more than capable of handling third base, but many scouts liked the idea of moving him to second in pro ball, which I think wastes the value of his 55-60 arm.

Taylor Sparks (Round 2) is an all-or-nothing selection, a third baseman with plus-plus raw power -- Irvine hit 12 homers the whole season, and Sparks had five of them, as well as eight of the team's 22 triples -- but who strikes out at an inordinate rate and needs to tighten up his plate discipline to get to his power with wood.

USC's Wyatt Strahan (No. 3) can hit the mid-90s with some sink -- he didn't give up a homer all spring, although his home park helped with that -- but profiles better as a bullpen arm right now given his command and control. Oklahoma prep hitter Gavin LaValley (Round 4) fits in one of the industry's least-favorite categories, the high school first baseman, and he's not an advanced hitter, but he is very strong with bat speed, so the ball comes off his bat very well. Tejay Antone (Round 5) has a lively low-90s fastball and a loose arm, but his arm action is really long and deliberate, giving hitters a good look at the ball and making it hard for him to repeat it. Jose Lopez (Round 6) was a potential third-rounder before blowing out his elbow this spring, and he could be ready to go for spring training 2015, making his selection in the sixth round a good value play.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Listening to the little blurb about Montrell Marshall, who is Brandon Phillips' cousin. They mentioned that he's a big strong kid and that he came to baseball rather late. I think that really is a pattern with Buckley, that he likes taking these late bloomers and pitchers without a ton of wear and tear on their arms. It also sounds like they stocked the lower levels with great coaches. Seems to be bearing fruit with players like Lutz.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Any word on the bonuses so far? Hopefully still enough money left to go over slot and sign some of the High school players.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Listening to the little blurb about Montrell Marshall, who is Brandon Phillips' cousin. They mentioned that he's a big strong kid and that he came to baseball rather late. I think that really is a pattern with Buckley, that he likes taking these late bloomers and pitchers without a ton of wear and tear on their arms. It also sounds like they stocked the lower levels with great coaches. Seems to be bearing fruit with players like Lutz.
    Buckley likes:
    Late bloomers, late risers, Cape Cod League standouts, players who play multiple positions, college hitters, converting college relievers to starters, and hard throwing right-handers.

Buckley doesn't like:
    Left-handed pitchers, shortstops, great value picks (ie guys who slide), high school hitters, and upside. In other words, pretty much everything I would go for if I was a scouting director.

That said, gotta hand it to him- he does know how to draft and develop pitchers.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-10-2014 at 01:12 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

RD 17 Jacob Moody
    http://instagram.com/p/o_dsitKZKx/
    Yesterday my dream ever since I was a little kid came true. I couldn't have gone through it all without these three people. They have been there for me through the ups and downs. Wouldn't want it any other way! I also want to thank all my friends and coaches especially @memphisbaseball and all they did for me. I am truly blessed! Can't wait to start my first job as a Cincinnati reds baseball player!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Buckley likes:
    Late bloomers, late risers, Cape Cod League standouts, players who play multiple positions, college hitters, converting college relievers to starters, and hard throwing right-handers.

Buckley doesn't like:
    Left-handed pitchers, shortstops, great value picks (ie guys who slide), high school hitters, and upside. In other words, pretty much everything I would go for if I was a scouting director.

That said, gotta hand it to him- he does know how to draft and develop pitchers.
    Given his success with pitchers, you'd think the Reds would be eager to turn a few of them into middle infielders, left handed hitters, etc. Yet the only pitcher he's ever drafted that was involved in a major trade was Boxberger. Pretty sure that's more on Walt, though.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Posted this in the wrong thread, but there's some pretty decent holdovers on the Billings and Goodyear squads before a single draft pick gets there. Wish the Reds would add an A.5 team.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...=t_ros&cid=513

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...t_ros&cid=3430
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-10-2014 at 01:19 PM.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Cotillo also tweets that Reds third-rounder Wyatt Strahan received the full slot value of $588,700. MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon reported last night that the two sides had agreed to terms.

Baseball America has Jose Lopez signing for $85,000 and Brian O'Grady signing for $10,000.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Baseball America has Jose Lopez signing for $85,000 and Brian O'Grady signing for $10,000.
    Am I correct in assuming that the Jose Lopez you refer to here is the one the Reds' drafted in the 6th round and not the 33rd round? If so, it is huge to get both of those guys signed below slot.

Turn Off Ads?