Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2015 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2015 Draft

UC 2B/OF Ian Happ is off to a blistering start. Last weekend against Miami OH and Mississippi State he went 7-16 with 4 R, 4 RBI, 2 2B, 2 BB and 2 K. This past weekend against Santa Clara he went 10-14 with 3 R, 1 RBI, 2 2B, 1 BB, 2K and a SB.

Converted closer Dillon Tate from UC Santa Barbra is also off to a hot start. Against BYU he went 6.2 I allow 3 hits and 0 runs while striking out 8 and walking 2. He followed it up with another shutout against Kentucky going 7 innings allowing 4 hits while striking out 9 and walking 2.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Brady Aiken Enrolls At IMG Academy

By Jeff Todd [February 26, 2015 at 11:18am CST]

Last year’s top overall draft choice, young lefty Brady Aiken, has officially enrolled at IMG Academy, the institution announced. He joins fellow unsigned Astros selection Jacob Nix in heading to the Florida academy. Fangraphs’ Kiley McDaniel first tweeted that he’d heard rumors Aiken would enroll there about a month ago.

By choosing the post-high school athletic training facility and prep school, Aiken will be eligible to re-enter the draft next year. He is expected to remain one of the most sought-after players available, though Houston’s pair of top-five draft choices will presumably represent slots that he will not land.

The Astros are such a disaster. I wish they never would have left the Central. (And the Cardinals would have been the ones to go to the AL West. Hehe.)

It will be interesting to see how far Aiken drops after TJ surgery. Any thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12...y-john-surgery

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    It will be interesting to see how far Aiken drops after TJ surgery. Any thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12...y-john-surgery
    I'm not sure he gets to the Reds, or if he does, certainly won't last much longer.

I've heard he has a smaller UCL than most, which is exactly what gave the Astros pause last year. I'm not a doctor but read that might impede his ability to recover from TJ. Either way, I think he's such a talent he deserves to still go top half of first round, if not top 10. Lucas Giolito, Jeff Hoffman, and Erick Freede as recent examples.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm not sure he gets to the Reds, or if he does, certainly won't last much longer.

I've heard he has a smaller UCL than most, which is exactly what gave the Astros pause last year. I'm not a doctor but read that might impede his ability to recover from TJ. Either way, I think he's such a talent he deserves to still go top half of first round, if not top 10. Lucas Giolito, Jeff Hoffman, and Erick Freede as recent examples.
    Can't they just transplant a regular-sized UCL from a Cadaver?

Aiken might fall to the Reds considering the Astros are 2 of the picks ahead of them. Given his arm issues, it's not hard to imagine 8 teams passing him but like Benihana says - he won't last much farther than that unless there is something really bad about his medical reports that hasn't been publicized. Getting him and 3 years later having a 7th ranked overall prospect like the Nationals have with Giolito is certainly a nice dream.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-29-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Can't they just transplant a regular-sized UCL from a Cadaver?
    They transplant it with one of your own parts in TJ surgery. Not sure why. Maybe less chance of rejection, which takes time a pro athlete can't afford. Yet it's a tendon and, to your comment, the "small" UCL issue no longer will be a factor. He'll be rebuilt than he was before.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Still a few months before the draft talk gets serious but the Reds have to be thinking position player in the first round for 2015, no? I think we've stockpiled enough arms for the time being.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Still a few months before the draft talk gets serious but the Reds have to be thinking position player in the first round for 2015, no? I think we've stockpiled enough arms for the time being.
    That's what I was thinking/hoping for last year. The Reds have seemed to employ icehole's philosophy when it comes to their recent drafts.
    Personally, I'd love to see a middle infielder or big bat HS OF.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-01-2015 at 02:55 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    That's what I was thinking/hoping for last year. The Reds have seemed to employ icehole's philosophy when it comes to their recent drafts.
    Personally, I'd love to see a middle infielder or big bat HS OF.
    I don't have much of a preference for position, just the best bat available. I am somewhat high on Blandino as a middle infield solution moving forward.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I want the highest upside player available pitcher or position player.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

15. Likes:

HokieRed (04-02-2015),Old school 1983 (04-04-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They transplant it with one of your own parts in TJ surgery. Not sure why. Maybe less chance of rejection, which takes time a pro athlete can't afford. Yet it's a tendon and, to your comment, the "small" UCL issue no longer will be a factor. He'll be rebuilt than he was before.

These days they use cadaver ligament and tendons in at least some procedures.

Now that both Aiken and Mantuella are having TJ surgery, there's a real chance the Reds will have the opportunity to draft a pitcher who did or could have gone #1 overall. That's truly a boom or bust proposition. Who's up for that at #11 overall? I think I would be in a class that's been considered pretty weak so far.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Now that both Aiken and Mantuella are having TJ surgery, there's a real chance the Reds will have the opportunity to draft a pitcher who did or could have gone #1 overall. That's truly a boom or bust proposition. Who's up for that at #11 overall? I think I would be in a class that's been considered pretty weak so far.
    I would too (as much as I'd prefer to see best bat available). I was heartsick when we had the opportunity but passed on taking Giolito a couple years back under similar circumstances. It's still early, but it would appear Giolito over Travieso and Norris over Stephenson were two draft day calls I was actually right on for once (I liked Cameron Maybin over Bruce and Rick Porcello over Mesoraco, oops).

Off topic, but can you imagine if Kris Bryant would've went to the Rockies as originally projected? He might hit 100 HR.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?