Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2015 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2015 Draft

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Phil Bickford To Pitch For Southern Nevada

By Charlie Wilmoth [September 13, 2014 at 10:50am CDT]

Former Blue Jays top draft pick Phil Bickford will pitch for the College of Southern Nevada this season, MLB.com’s Jim Callis reports. The move to a two-year college will officially make Bickford eligible for next year’s draft. CSN is already known in baseball circles for being the school attended by 2010 top overall pick Bryce Harper.

The Jays took Bickford tenth overall out of high school in 2013, but the two sides couldn’t agree to a deal, and Bickford headed to Cal State Fullerton. His stock improved this summer after showing great stuff in the Cape Cod League, and he currently appears likely to go even higher than tenth overall next time he’s draft eligible — Callis notes that Bickford could be a candidate to go first overall. Had Bickford gone back to Cal State Fullerton, he would not have been eligible for the draft until 2016.

“He had the best arm in the league,” says John Schiffner, an opposing Cape Cod manager. “He threw one of our guys a slider in a big situation, and three kids’ knees buckled in our dugout. And that’s not even his best pitch, because we saw 97 mph.”

2. Likes:

redsmetz (09-23-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Any combination of a Reds loss, or a Tampa Bay Win, locks the Reds into a protected pick. Assuming that happens, they could pick as high as 7th or as low as 10th.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Actually, the Phils can pass the Reds and leave them 9th with two wins and two Reds losses. Both the White Sox & Cubbies could tie the Reds with thwe same 2 win 2 Reds loss scenario, but in a ties, either or both would pick before the Reds because they finishe lower in the standings than Cincinnati last season. That means the Reds will pick no higher than ninth and no lower than 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Any combination of a Reds loss, or a Tampa Bay Win, locks the Reds into a protected pick. Assuming that happens, they could pick as high as 7th or as low as 10th.
    TB had a better record last season, so Reds get the tie breaker. Should they finish with the same record.

Reds have clinched the eleventh pick or better. Reds pick will be protected if they sign a qualified FA.

Reds could possibly get the tenth pick. More likely the eleventh. Either is protected.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-27-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Reds win over the Pirates mean they will have the 11th and final protected pick.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

8. Likes:

PepperJack (09-27-2014)

I don't expect the Reds to sign a free agent that receives a QO, but it's nice to know they could without losing their first round draft choice.

I imagine the finances would still be prohibitive on signing a top free agent, maybe this makes them more likely to go after a player that ends up being hurt by turning down the QO, but there could be less of those, after what some players went through last offseason.

Either way, if they don't sign a free agent with compensation attached, they will have two top 50 picks, plus their comp round B selection.

Small reward for such a disappointing season.

10. Likes:

lollipopcurve (09-28-2014),mth123 (09-28-2014)

If they were to sign a QO FA and lose their 2nd pick, they'd still have the comp round B selection to ease the pain this year. All the stars are aligning for the Reds signing a top FA - except for the money (tiny detail).

The only way I could see the pick protection coming into play for the Reds IMO is if they don't get the job done filling their needs and there's someone sitting out there who can help and whose value has been affected by the draft pick compensation hanging over their heads, ala Cruz, Morales, Santana, Drew, etc. I could see the Reds possibly stepping up with a one-year deal at reduced money kinda like the Cruz/O's deal. Maybe an OF as a bridge to Winker/Waldrop. That's a really remote possibility though and not sure who it might be. Markakis maybe? Would be shocked if it happened though.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If they were to sign a QO FA and lose their 2nd pick, they'd still have the comp round B selection to ease the pain this year. All the stars are aligning for the Reds signing a top FA - except for the money (tiny detail).

The only way I could see the pick protection coming into play for the Reds IMO is if they don't get the job done filling their needs and there's someone sitting out there who can help and whose value has been affected by the draft pick compensation hanging over their heads, ala Cruz, Morales, Santana, Drew, etc. I could see the Reds possibly stepping up with a one-year deal at reduced money kinda like the Cruz/O's deal. Maybe an OF as a bridge to Winker/Waldrop. That's a really remote possibility though and not sure who it might be. Markakis maybe? Would be shocked if it happened though.

One thing I'd say, though. Walt doesn't make many moves at the big league level. But when he does, he usually goes pretty big.

Latos, Choo were both very highly regarded pickups.

In each case, cost effective. But I don't see him going for an unknown or an injured guy. I think it will be somebody with a very good track record, if it happens.

Markakis, could be. Fits the need very well. Won't get the same huge money he got before. But he's only one guy, not necessarily him. I just don't see Walt going for a minor player here.

If it's a trade, I'd watch teams who aren't that competitive and want to save money. Could dump off a contract (two years left?) for a more cost effective player or prospects.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-28-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    One thing I'd say, though. Walt doesn't make many moves at the big league level. But when he does, he usually goes pretty big.

Latos, Choo were both very highly regarded pickups.

In each case, cost effective. But I don't see him going for an unknown or an injured guy. I think it will be somebody with a very good track record, if it happens.

Markakis, could be. Fits the need very well. Won't get the same huge money he got before. But he's only one guy, not necessarily him. I just don't see Walt going for a minor player here.

If it's a trade, I'd watch teams who aren't that competitive and want to save money. Could dump off a contract (two years left?) for a more cost effective player or prospects.
    As I said, I don't expect the Reds to be a player in FA (even with the protected pick). If they did, I believe it would be signing someone whose market has been damaged by the need for a compensatory pick at a short, reduced contract. I think that even that is a very remote possibility though.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

2015 MLB Draft Order

By Charlie Wilmoth [September 28, 2014 at 7:32pm CDT]

Now that the 2014 regular season has come to an end, here’s the order for the first round of the 2015 MLB Draft. The order is determined in reverse order of regular season record, with ties being broken by record from the previous season. Teams are also compensated for failing to sign first-round picks from previous years. In 2015, the only team to receive an extra pick in the first 30 is Houston, which will get the No. 2 overall pick for failing to sign Brady Aiken this year.

Much about the draft order remains to be determined, given the impact that qualifying offers will have on the ultimate order. This year, the first 11 picks are protected, meaning that teams cannot lose those picks for signing free agents who have been extended qualifying offers. That means the Cubs, Phillies and Reds have protected picks, while the Marlins, Padres and Rays do not.

1. Diamondbacks
    2. Astros (for failure to sign 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken)
    3. Rockies
    4. Rangers
    5. Astros
    6. Twins
    7. Red Sox
    8. White Sox
    9. Cubs
    10. Phillies
    11. Reds
    12. Marlins
    13. Padres
    14. Rays
    15. Mets
    16. Braves
    17. Brewers
    18. Blue Jays
    19. Yankees
    20. Indians
    21. Mariners
    22. Giants
    23. Pirates
    24. Athletics
    25. Royals
    26. Tigers
    27. Cardinals
    28. Dodgers
    29. Orioles
    30. Nationals
    31. Angels

Here’s Compensation Round A, which follows the first round. Unlike regular draft picks, Compensation Round picks can be traded.

32. Astros (via Marlins)
    33. Rockies
    34. Cardinals
    35. Brewers
    36. Padres
    37. Indians

The Reds, Red Sox (via the Athletics), Mariners, Twins, Orioles and Diamondbacks, respectively, own picks in Comp Round B, which will come after the second round.

15. Likes:

PepperJack (09-29-2014)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Can protected picks be traded?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Can protected picks be traded?
    No, the only draft picks you can trade are the competitive balance lottery picks.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    No, the only draft picks you can trade are the competitive balance lottery picks.
    OK thanks
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

So, by my count, the Reds will pick 11, 47, and 69.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    I prefer Boras model of the Mlb Draft only being 10 Rounds and everybody that isn't drafted can be signed as free agents at a base pay rate.
    If Scott Boras said drinking water was good for dehydration, I'd guzzle sand.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-11-2014)

Turn Off Ads?