Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2015 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2015 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree with the majority that the Reds need a bat, but most of all, they need to hit it big with this pick. No matter which position or player type, they need some one who winds up as an All Star or at least above average major league player who can be part of the core within the next 3 years.
    Why?

I'll be happy if they draft a HS guy who becomes an all-star in five years, or even if they whiff on the first rounder but find a quality major leaguer or two in the mid-rounds. The Reds need this draft to be productive (they need every draft to be productive), but putting unrealistic expectations on any one pick will most likely lead to disappointment.

2. Likes:

nemesis (06-08-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Interesting run down on some players to keep an eye on in today's draft:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...062605233.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

5. Likes:

texasdave (06-08-2015)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...5-version-5-1/

BA Mock 5.1 - massive changes projected in the top 10.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post

I would be fine with this.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Granted my feelings on Aiken are that he's worth the risk, but ugh...I hope someone other than the Dodgers (or one of the other top teams) nabs him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I would be fine with this.
    I would not be upset. I think we have a shot at a pretty darn good player whatever happens. I wish the draft started this afternoon.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

10. Likes:

redsmetz (06-08-2015),Tom Servo (06-08-2015)

I would not be upset. I think we have a shot at a pretty darn good player whatever happens. I wish the draft started this afternoon.
    Absolutely. Sounds like it will be a wild first round and there will be options at 11. There are many guys that I would be happy to get.

Damn, MLB.com just released its final mock. Callis has Benintendi going 5th to the Astros; Mayo has him going 7th to the Red Sox.

And they both have the Reds taking Tyler Stephenson (HS C for those who might be new to the thread).

Fudge.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/129269...est-mock-draft

You'll notice that today's mocks show both Benintendi and Happ potentially being off the board by 11. Sounds reasonable, in today's environment you'd think all around college hitters would be at a premium.

If the Reds get Stephenson, that's fine with me. Reds have had good success with catchers, either keeping them or trading them.

At eleven, the Reds are on the cusp of a premium player. So if one drops to them, the position, college v high school, should all go out the window. If you get a top talent, take him.

Overall, I expect a lot of college players in the early rounds because the Reds need to reinforce the big league team as soon as possible and they don't sign free agents. As things look, not necessarily in the first round, however.

You guys would be OK with a high school catcher? Why? I bet Tucker Barnhart will become a solid MLB starter for years (and Mes might move to LF, but his catching career is not necessarily over and he's still young).

That would be 3 catchers drafted by the Reds in the first round in the last 9 years. I'm not on board with that. We need to take the best OF possible, IMO. Pitching depth in the minors is more than good. We need bats. And advanced bats would be preferred (I would take the best college OF on the board at 11 -- too bad it's looking like it won't be Benintendi). Of course every publication/website predicted the Reds would take Benintendi, until the day of the draft rolls around and they all shoot him up to 5th or 7th. They must be getting info from someone in the know that Benintendi will likely go 5th.

The MLB.com mock sure looks like a copy of the BA mock, at least for the top part of the first round.

BTW, draft begins at 6 p.m. ET, correct? TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Damn, MLB.com just released its final mock. Callis has Benintendi going 5th to the Astros; Mayo has him going 7th to the Red Sox.

And they both have the Reds taking Tyler Stephenson (HS C for those who might be new to the thread).

Fudge.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/129269...est-mock-draft
    Why fudge? This was a guy who BA projected earlier last week to go #1 overall. I would love to land Stephenson.

-Hunter S. Thompson

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-08-2015)

You guys would be OK with a high school catcher? Why? I bet Tucker Barnhart will become a solid MLB starter for years (and Mes might move to LF, but his catching career is not necessarily over and he's still young).
    His position right now doesn't matter at all.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

cincyinco (06-08-2015)

That would be 3 catchers drafted by the Reds in the first round in the last 9 years. I'm not on board with that. We need to take the best OF possible, IMO. Pitching depth in the minors is more than good. We need bats. And advanced bats would be preferred (I would take the best college OF on the board at 11 -- too bad it's looking like it won't be Benintendi). Of course every publication/website predicted the Reds would take Benintendi, until the day of the draft rolls around and they all shoot him up to 5th or 7th. They must be getting info from someone in the know that Benintendi will likely go 5th.

The MLB.com mock sure looks like a copy of the BA mock, at least for the top part of the first round.

As i just posted, at eleven, the Reds are a team on the cusp of a top, premium talent. If one drops to them, they have to take him. Position, age, college v high school out the window.

Reds have a good record drafting catchers IMO, if they are covered they can trade the guy. Grandal was traded. Dan Wilson years ago.

As for Barnhart, he isn't a factor. Do we even know if he is a starting player? And Stephenson, if drafted, is years away from the bigs. He isn't being drafted to compete for a job in the next couple of years.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-08-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Why fudge? This was a guy who BA projected earlier last week to go #1 overall. I would love to land Stephenson.
    That's disingenuous and you know it. He was projected by BA in one of their mocks to go No. 1 overall simply because BA theorized the D-Backs would sign him well-below slot so they would have big money to spend on players later in the draft. At no point was Stephenson ever considered to be the best player in this draft or even close.

I've seen him top-10 many times, so I know he's a good player. Just not on board with taking a high school catcher when A. We're set at catcher for years with Barnhart IMO; and B. We need to take advanced bats early in this draft if we want any hope of a quick turnaround. If you're cool with waiting until 2020 for the Reds to contend again, taking a HS catcher with the No. 11 overall pick sounds like a good plan.

I think coverage begins at 6, but draft begins at 7.

I saw a mock last week that had Stephenson going #1 to Diamondbacks. If he is available at 11, you take BPA and figure it out later. Dude won't be ready for 4-5 years anyways. And Barnhart is not a guy you change a draft pick over. At all.

Turn Off Ads?