Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: 6/14/14 Reds @ Brewers

Re: 6/14/14 Reds @ Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What's the old saying about 'if you throw enough crap at a wall...'
    Those guys were not crap though.

Service was OK maybe like the 90's version of Ondrusek but not as bad realy.

The others all pitched very well here on Non roster contracts.

Jeff Shaw was gold for them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Wasn't Shaw good?
    He was better then all of them but still a retread or discard from another team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Go out and get a relief pitcher.
    "Once your club is set, it's pretty hard to make changes."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    He was better then all of them but still a retread or discard from another team.
    Agree, but these guys today are much worse. The brain trust also looks like they are willing to wait for them to come around. After the emotions calmed down, I don't see an answer unless the team is willing to make moves. It scares me to think that Cueto, Leake, and even Latos will be offered big contracts while the offense continues to flounder because we don't have the money. Clearly, if the Reds had scored more they would have won.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Great idea. Kinda like last year when we said fix LF when Ludwick went down early.

You at least have no excuse to look at Diaz or Josh Smith? Starter at AAA but maybe he could be used in MR?

I even suggested the Pirates pitcher from last year who is in DFA limbo. Cannot recall the name now... started a short lived thread about him a few days back.
    Diaz and Josh Smith might help in the middle of games. (Reds usually don't need much then anyway.) But for the late innings, the Reds are a bit short, particularly when Brox or Chappy are resting.

So they should go out and get an experienced back end reliever. Mostly for the seventh inning. Otherwise it's going to be trial and error in games like this.

Perhaps a back end bullpen of Cingrani, Chapman, Broxton and X. We just need to solve for X.

Lecure? Good pitcher but apparently can't pitch too often. He is most effective with a lot of rest IMO. I'd rather see them add somebody. Let Sam pitch occasional late inning, but mostly in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Diaz and Josh Smith might help in the middle of games. (Reds usually don't need much then anyway.) But for the late innings, the Reds are a bit short, particularly when Brox or Chappy are resting.

So they should go out and get an experienced back end reliever. Mostly for the seventh inning. Otherwise it's going to be trial and error in games like this.

Perhaps a back end bullpen of Cingrani, Chapman, Broxton and X. We just need to solve for X.

Lecure? Good pitcher but apparently can't pitch too often. He is most effective with a lot of rest IMO. I'd rather see them add somebody. Let Sam pitch occasional late inning, but mostly in the middle.
    Diaz could help in the middle but if he makes the team out of spring instead of Bell, we'd probably know by now if he could help at the big league level at the end by now. Idk what else he had to prove at AAA. Move him up. He may not be the answer but some of the guys in the roster aren't either. As far as top arms on the farm, push Contreas in a pen role as much as possible. He's said in the past that he wants to be in the pen
    and his stuff is nasty. With all the other arms in the system, something has to give as far as the pen.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 06-14-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Diaz could help in the middle but if he makes the team out of spring instead of Bell, we'd probably know by now if he could help at the big league level at the end by now. Idk what else he had to prove at AAA. Move him up. He may not be the answer but some of the guys in the roster aren't either. As far as top arms on the farm, push Contreas in a pen role as much as possible. He's said in the past that he wants to be in the pen
    and his stuff is nasty. With all the other arms in the system, something has to give as far as the pen.
    For this season, if it is to be salvaged, the Reds need to add a hitter and a reliever capable of an effective seventh inning. I would try Cingrani in the later innings as well as a new guy. Both.

Longer term, the Reds will have to devote more good prospect arms to the bullpen IMO. The absence of a top notch relief candidate at AAA right now is a big minus and was predictable.

9. Likes:

757690 (06-14-2014),Old school 1983 (06-15-2014),Roy Tucker (06-15-2014)

Gary Majewski has a 0.52 ERA this season with the Sugar Land Skeeters.

#imjustsayin
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

757690 (06-15-2014),PepperJack (06-15-2014)

#imjustsayin
    Do ya think the Reds could trade Bruce and Cozart for him?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

#imjustsayin
    Maybe he will pick up some pointers from Tracy Mcgrady.

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-15-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (06-15-2014)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I'm even more fond of the wistful comments about Zach Duke. I literally cannot remember one post this offseason extolling the virtues of resigning Duke. His name doesn't appear at all in the thread about Parra resigning with the Reds.
    I wanted Duke back. He was effective and Marshall was always a big question mark.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Two positive notes from this game:

Latos is healthy. Huge plus for the Reds going forward.

The Reds and Brewers just played two tight games in Milwaukee, and both could have gone either way. If the Brewers are the team to beat, the Reds look to match up well against them.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-15-2014)

Shaw with the Reds

1996 78 games, 104 inn .249 ERA
    1997 78 games, 94 inn, .328 ERA, 42 saves
    1998 (1/2 season before Dodgers trade) 39 games, 49 inn, 23 saves, 1.81 ERA

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Clearly, if the Reds had scored more they would have won.
    I understand the sentiment....I really do, but we went through decades and decades of high octane offensive clubs only to constantly lose games 8-6. This team CAN hit, this team WILL hit. But when you're built around top caliber pitching and gold glove defense all over the diamond....you don't scrap it to sign a big basher who strikes out a ton and can't field his position.

If we don't have the bats to come up to help, then deal some of the kids who are blocked anyway to help fill the areas of need. ML ready bullpen arms, ML ready LF bats, and near ML ready middle infielders. I know, easier said than done.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

#imjustsayin
    Speaking of them, Tracy McGrady might be available. :O)

~edit~ Ah...kal beat me to it. *grin*

Turn Off Ads?