Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Changing Attitudes on Fat in Our Diet

Re: Changing Attitudes on Fat in Our Diet

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    People knew in Victorian times that calories in/calories out was the basic principle of weight control.
    Sort of. The calories in/calories out model is a product of the machine age. Seeing the body as a steam engine -- fuel in, fuel burnt -- has some basic merit, but it's pretty far from a complete picture. It's emerging that a calorie is a calorie just isn't so.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It wasn't presented as a theory. Settled science is not a theory. It denotes fact
    Anyone who has presented anything related to diet as "settled science" is being dishonest. There is too much variation between humans to make many broad claims, and the Diet Industry is all about broad claims.

4. Likes:

westofyou (06-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    Anyone who has presented anything related to diet as "settled science" is being dishonest. There is too much variation between humans to make many broad claims, and the Diet Industry is all about broad claims.
    Yes. I'd recommend every one experiment to see what works for them. I know that bread and pasta turns me into a tub of goo. But other people burn it off quicker. OTOH, I can eat dairy to the cows come home (ha-ha!) and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    He would tell you that he did a lot of the right things and a lot of the wrong things. He was a marathoner. One day he played pick-up basketball and nearly broke in two. He realized that he'd trained his body well for marathons but for nothing else. The fact that he's tried a lot of stuff is to his credit.

And I don't know why you keep hitting on the word "fad". Why isn't the Meditarranean Diet a "fad". The paloe diet was a fad for the first hundred thousand years or so of human existence. Farming and eating grains is the latest thing.
    I hate the term Mediterranean Diet, too. I don't "follow" it, but it has a description associated with it I can use to best describe the majority of what I eat. Long after the term is forgotten, as it almost is, I might have to pick another term that best describes my food choices. As surely as there's a Diet Industry, there's sure to be new names to sell more copy with just a small enough twist in them to give them a unique moniker.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-17-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Even the chemistry is complicated. Take for example calcium and osteoporosous. We all know we need calcium but now they're saying that your body needs other things in order to take in the calcium like vit D. I agree with you on blueberries. I think they're great for the immune system but it's possible that some study will show someday that those chemicals are not taken in by our cells properly under certain conditions. Who knows?

I'm not so much interested in living a long life but I want to be healthy while I'm here. I don't want to be injecting insulin like my parents now have to. I'm not interested in becoming the next Charles Atlas because I want to enjoy things like steak and beer but like you I do feel an obligation to "burn off" my sins.
    I take D supplements.

And yes, it's true about the cells ability to absorb chemicals/enzymes/molecules/etc. I'm cautious about when to take ibuprofen when I exercise as it interferes with the process.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-17-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

"Chronic cardio."

I doubt 1% of people fit the bill. My concern with that term is that it tells people exercise isn't good for them.

Changing Attitudes on Fat in Our Diet

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I have tried low carb and can't seem to get through the headaches the first week or so.me.
    I did low carb last summer to lose some weight. I did it for a month. The first week was awful. I felt constantly hungry and had headaches. But after that it was great. My body adjusted to it and I actually had more energy. So if you can push through the first week, I think you'll be very happy with the results. I lost 12 pounds in a month without exercising
    Last edited by Hillsdale87; 06-18-2014 at 09:45 AM.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-18-2014),Redsfaithful (06-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    "Chronic cardio."

I doubt 1% of people fit the bill. My concern with that term is that it tells people exercise isn't good for them.
    Maybe in Florida, not in California. People sit in their office all day, drive to the gym and mindlessly walk or peddle a machine while watching TMZ. It's not natural. Just walk. Everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Maybe in Florida, not in California. People sit in their office all day, drive to the gym and mindlessly walk or peddle a machine while watching TMZ. It's not natural. Just walk. Everywhere.
    I'd really need to know what he considers chronic. I don't think most people have that problem....and my concern with that name is that it tells people they don't need to exercise.

Oh, just go walk....

Which is fine for people with a ton of time on their hands. How far do I have to walk to lose weight?
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 06-18-2014 at 01:33 PM.

13. Likes:

Razor Shines (06-18-2014)

I'd really need to know what he considers chronic. I don't think most people have that problem....and my concern with that name is that it tells people they don't need to exercise.

Oh, just go walk....

Which is fine for people with a ton of time on their hands. How far do I have to walk to lose weight?
    Sisson even said that if you want to lose that last 10-15%, you need to do sprints. Only the sprints would do this. In other words, short bursts of cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Sisson even said that if you want to lose that last 10-15%, you need to do sprints. Only the sprints would do this. In other words, short bursts of cardio.
    Which sucks because I can't run anymore due to a neck condition. I guess I do that with a bike.....

Think jogging. Neither fish (walking) nor fowl (sprinting). You can do tabatas on an exercise bike. Go full out for 20 seconds and then 10 seconds barely pushing the pedals, repeat as many times as you can.

There are some studies that suggest this as effective for weightloss as 40 minutes of steady cardio

http://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/how...at-less-effort

"The group which did around eight seconds of sprinting on a bike, followed by 12 seconds of exercising lightly for twenty minutes, lost three times as much fat as other women, who exercised at a continuous, regular pace for 40 minutes," said the team leader, Associate Professor Steve Boutcher, Head of the Health and Exercise Science program, in the School of Medical Sciences at UNSW.

This is settled of course. And, mostly, weight loss happens through diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I did low carb last summer to lose some weight. I did it for a month. The first week was awful. I felt constantly hungry and had headaches. But after that it was great. My body adjusted to it and I actually had more energy. So if you can push through the first week, I think you'll be very happy with the results. I lost 12 pounds in a month without exercising
    Are you guys doing "low carb" or "slow carb"? To me there's a difference, I've done both and I did find "low carb" miserable. On slow carb I haven't had the hunger issues.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Which sucks because I can't run anymore due to a neck condition. I guess I do that with a bike.....

I know for friends that yoga has worked really well for them.

This has been an inspirational thread. It has me re-thinking on my approaches to my health. I believe it will have a positive effect. I'm really going to try to lessen my carb intake...we'll see. Interesting about the various head-ache comments through the first week of carb-fasting.

Turn Off Ads?