Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657

Thread: 6/20/2014 Reds vs Jays

Re: 6/20/2014 Reds vs Jays

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

I guarantee that the REDS will lose this series and the next one. I'm a pretty positive person, but no team comes back from this type of disaster immediately. It's just not possible.
    Good news/bad news:

Bad news: because of the above guarantee I bet 25k on the Blue Jays on each of the last two games.
    Good news: because of your guarantee I assume you'll be sending me a check for that 50k

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    They weren't the same kind of games.

This was an early 8-0 lead. The unraveling lasted for six innings, not the couple of innings that happened quickly in Atlanta. It's not close to the same.

This was like how the Mariners blew an early double-digit lead.

The reason those who witnessed this game were so agitated and worn out was because it lasted for so long. For two hours there was nothing the REDS could do to slow down or stop the inevitable. Every pitcher that went to the mound for the REDS had an opportunity to make a positive difference and not a single one of them did.

The Offense disappeared for seven innings.

I guarantee that the REDS will lose this series and the next one. I'm a pretty positive person, but no team comes back from this type of disaster immediately. It's just not possible. It wasn't a train wreck that happened in an instant, as pictured by the brilliant artwork. It was a sinking ship that took a couple of hours with no lifeboats available and nobody knew how to swim.

This is one of those days that have a lasting effect on the team. I'm pretty sure they were still in shock when they got home tonight. Each player will have to process it individually, and then as a team. I give them to the end of next week, and that's because I believe in this team. If I didn't, I'd write them off after this game.

This team reminds me of the 1995 Seattle Mariners...the best pitcher in baseball, great Starters, nicely balanced lineup, some dynamo players in Frazier, Votto and Hamilton, great Defense, and absolutely horrible relief pitching with the exception of two pitchers (though the REDS' two best Relievers are far superior to the M's best two Relievers that season). That Mariner's lost Junior for a big chunk of the season, but then they got healthy and in August they got hot...sizzling hot, and roared back to win the Division, a one-game playoff vs Texas. There was a lot of magic on that team over the last two months. I see that magic in this REDS' team and that something special is going to happen with them.
    Never could I be happier to be so dead wrong on that statement.

What Mike Leake and Johnny Cueto did was above amazing. Leake with his best performance of the season after a shaky June, and Cueto going 8 strong innings when he hadn't gotten past six in his last two starts with another outing in June that wasn't what we'd seen from him all season. That's really stepping up.

Then Chapman strikes out the side to preserve the one-run victory and a series win.

The Offense was on fire on Saturday with everyone contributing.

I mentioned in the above post that this team has some "magic" in it and that I think it will win the Division. The performance the last two days just solidifies that belief. That's like getting hit in the jaw and getting it broken early in a fight and then coming back and knocking the guy down yourself in the next round. This team has fight.

As has been mentioned over and over again, the team is finally healthy, Mes is out of his slump, Cozart and Hamilton are solid contributors and now Bruce has had a good couple of weeks+.

Two Starters and the Offense lifted the bullpen, patted them on the back and told them that this is a team effort. Give us your best next time out and together we'll win this Division.

Again, never could I be happier than to have been dead wrong about this one.

We're 2-0 Since Summer began and this team is not the same team at all that played those first 72 games. They are different in a hundred+ ways. I see no reason why we can't go 60-30 over these last 90 games and finish with 95 wins and a Division Title. Win two, lose one, win two, lose one, etc.. This team is good enough to do this.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I don't know how the Big Red Machine ever won like they did without collapsing after losing high scoring games, which was not uncommon for them.

One of the things that always amuses me is that the offense is blamed for not adding on more runs after a big inning occurring early in the game, as if it is a controllable attribute of any one game.

Losing a game where you are ahead 8-0 sucks, but the reality is that the other team scored more runs over the course of 9 innings than the Reds did, and while it is psychologically humbling, it also is the beauty of the randomness of this game that keeps me following, even when I'm wondering Friday night if I should expend any of my limited time resources on this ballclub.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?