Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: When life unravels all at once.

Re: When life unravels all at once.

Dump your cell phone, internet, cable, coffee, sodas and snacks and you would have more than enough to cover the costs of healthcare since you make too much to qualify for County Health. There's always a way if you want it bad enough.

And, you shouldn't be in a relationship with a woman for quite a while anyway. Work on yourself and wait at least a year. You can't focus on the things you need for yourself when you have someone else to worry about. You want to be able to offer that person a healthy you.

Picture yourself when you were five years old. Picture it hard. Now give that boy a huge hug and take care of him.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-03-2014 at 11:12 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Dump your cell phone, internet, cable, coffee, sodas and snacks and you would have more than enough to cover the costs of healthcare since you make too much to qualify for County Health.
    That'd probably solve the initial problem, too.

Might try to find a Meetup for like people.

Dump your cell phone, internet, cable, coffee, sodas and snacks and you would have more than enough to cover the costs of healthcare since you make too much to qualify for County Health. There's always a way if you want it bad enough.
    I'm sorry, but I think this is probably naive. Dumping "all of those things" (and I for one don't even know that Wonderful Monds pays for all of those things) would save at most a few hundred dollars a month. That can be the cost of a single doctor visit, and falls far short of any kind of overnight stay or hospital treatment.

I also think it is unreasonable and dangerous not to have a cell phone (assuming no land line, which is now common), particularly when it's a necessity to have immediate access to other humans, professional resources, crisis hotlines, etc.

I agree with Larkin Fan that you need to be put in touch with a caseworker -- not just asking after programs, but an actual person who is familiar with resources. A caseworker may also be able to help you with a change in insurance if that's needed. You're a student -- have you spoken to the mental health staff at your school as well? There may be separate resources available to you there.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

6. Likes:

marcshoe (07-05-2014),Ravenlord (07-07-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    You're a student -- have you spoken to the mental health staff at your school as well? There may be separate resources available to you there.
    This, this, this. They will very likely be able to help you.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This, this, this. They will very likely be able to help you.
    That's where I was going to at UC, they were the ones that cut me loose and said they couldn't help me anymore. They gave me a list of places, but it was just a bunch of treatment facilities I can't afford or insurance doesn't cover.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm sorry, but I think this is probably naive. Dumping "all of those things" (and I for one don't even know that Wonderful Monds pays for all of those things) would save at most a few hundred dollars a month. That can be the cost of a single doctor visit, and falls far short of any kind of overnight stay or hospital treatment.
    Now you're the naive one. You can get medical coverage for $150 per month if you're a 21-year old male seeking individual coverage. It's pretty easy to sign up. Depending again upon how much he makes, there's federal assistance, if he's making under $20K per year, for example. If he's making more than that, there's money there for health insurance. It's simply a matter of priorities.

Nobody needs a cell phone. Another naive concept. There's free internet access in every City one lives in at their libraries and many other places. Any appointments can be made through the internet. One can borrow a phone from time to time, or use a public phone. One can do things face-to-face.

Nobody needs the coffee, sodas, snacks, and other wasted monies that 99.99% of all people who claim they don't have any money end up wasting on a monthly basis. There's always cheaper ways to pay for rent, food and other "necessary" items. I assume he doesn't have a car or pay for car insurance. If he does, there's his $150 per month right there. He can share living quarters next to the school he attends, if he doesn't already. If he does, then perhaps there's a cheaper place to stay.

You do what you have to do. But, for anyone to say that someone can't afford health insurance is just hogwash. There's always a way. It's a simple matter of priorities.

No amount of "assistance" is going to help anybody who doesn't want to get better in the first place. It always comes back to the individual's desire for their life to be better than it is. It's pretty obvious that Wonderful Monds wants it to be. The effort is there.

You can get free counseling from most any church, and it doesn't have to be centered around a religious theme. There's numerous self-help groups. But, to get the medicine that's involved here, then he could use the health-care insurance, available, on average, for $150 per month for someone as young as he is.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

Sea Ray (07-11-2014)

Now you're the naive one. You can get medical coverage for $150 per month if you're a 21-year old male seeking individual coverage. It's pretty easy to sign up. Depending again upon how much he makes, there's federal assistance, if he's making under $20K per year, for example. If he's making more than that, there's money there for health insurance. It's simply a matter of priorities.

Nobody needs a cell phone. Another naive concept. There's free internet access in every City one lives in at their libraries and many other places. Any appointments can be made through the internet. One can borrow a phone from time to time, or use a public phone. One can do things face-to-face.

Nobody needs the coffee, sodas, snacks, and other wasted monies that 99.99% of all people who claim they don't have any money end up wasting on a monthly basis. There's always cheaper ways to pay for rent, food and other "necessary" items. I assume he doesn't have a car or pay for car insurance. If he does, there's his $150 per month right there. He can share living quarters next to the school he attends, if he doesn't already. If he does, then perhaps there's a cheaper place to stay.

You do what you have to do. But, for anyone to say that someone can't afford health insurance is just hogwash. There's always a way. It's a simple matter of priorities.

No amount of "assistance" is going to help anybody who doesn't want to get better in the first place. It always comes back to the individual's desire for their life to be better than it is. It's pretty obvious that Wonderful Monds wants it to be. The effort is there.

You can get free counseling from most any church, and it doesn't have to be centered around a religious theme. There's numerous self-help groups. But, to get the medicine that's involved here, then he could use the health-care insurance, available, on average, for $150 per month for someone as young as he is.
    You've always struck me as smug and arrogant. Save this one for your greatest hits album.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

12. Likes:

Hoosier Red (07-04-2014),kbrake (07-05-2014),Ravenlord (07-19-2014)

Could we PLEASE not argue about this kind of stuff here.

This is neither the time nor the place for it. Thank you.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-05-2014),Hoosier Red (07-04-2014),jojo (07-04-2014),Roy Tucker (07-05-2014)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I do have health insurance, 2 policies, but neither of them cover much mental health beyond the basics and apparently that means I can't "raise my level of care" the way I've been told to.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I do have health insurance, 2 policies, but neither of them cover much mental health beyond the basics and apparently that means I can't "raise my level of care" the way I've been told to.
    Alternative Care is often an extra bucket in care coverage, but also note that you can call the customer service team and have them go over what they DO cover, look for terms like Social Worker, often there are aspects of alternative care available within the bones of your plan.

This site might help you http://psychcentral.com/blog/archive...fford-therapy/

You've already noted that you want help and feeling despair at the trouble that it can be in obtaining it can be really troubling in itself, but try and push that down as you seek help, it will keep you focused on the task at hand; getting out of the bad head space. Keep coming back here if you can't find it as quick as you want, dump it out as much as you need, this is a big battle and you can find the semblance of peace you are after in small steps faster than the one big fix.

I'm rooting for you, we all are.

17. Likes:

dougdirt (07-03-2014),marcshoe (07-05-2014),redsfanmia (07-03-2014),RedsManRick (07-05-2014),Roy Tucker (07-07-2014),wolfboy (07-03-2014)

Yeah, psych coverage is difficult. And a lot of them don't want to do less than once-a-week and that adds up, even the co-pays.

I don't know much about mental health coverage. My only experience with it is a few years ago we were told by a psychologist our son fit the profile for ADHD. He had 2 visits with her and we had 1 without him. The only testing was a test he took on a computer. (Please don't lecture me on ADHD diagnoses or medication. Not what this is about.) Those 3 visits, after insurance, and my insurance is pretty good, was almost $700.00 bucks. Sorry if this detracts from a pretty serious and sincere thread.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I don't know much about mental health coverage. My only experience with it is a few years ago we were told by a psychologist our son fit the profile for ADHD. He had 2 visits with her and we had 1 without him. The only testing was a test he took on a computer. (Please don't lecture me on ADHD diagnoses or medication. Not what this is about.) Those 3 visits, after insurance, and my insurance is pretty good, was almost $700.00 bucks. Sorry if this detracts from a pretty serious and sincere thread.
    Yes, exactly. Mental health coverage even within good insurance can be complicated and still expensive, unfortunately.

I can't say anything beyond woy's excellent advice. Wonderful Monds, keep looking for a human being to talk to, both at your insurance company and outside of it. If anyone shuts you down, keep looking. The options out there are so many and so varied that it is so often it is a matter of just finding the person who happens to know about an option that will help you. It can be time-consuming and frustrating work but it will be worth it.

Maybe it's worth contacting the list of treatment places UC gave you even if you think your insurance won't cover it, just to see if the people there can provide you with other options?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

21. Likes:

dougdirt (07-05-2014)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

WM, I'm just seeing this and this brings back memories of a dark time in my life. As many on here know, I serve in the military and have had many Soldiers under my care over my career. I am going to tell you the same thing I have told a few of them when they have had thoughts of hurting themselves, or are just having a rough time. When I first signed up back in '96, I was a young 18 year old kid who couldn't be told anything. I met a what i thought was a great girl. A girl I would do anything for, and fell madly in love with. She got pregnant and said the baby was mine, come to find out, it wasn't. I was devastated. Instead of doing the right thing and talking with someone, i kept it all in. I became a Soldier that was getting in trouble almost daily, so I left. Yes, I went AWOL, I checked out, I quit. When I decided to return, i was dealt with....harshly. I talked with military doctors tho and it helped. The best help i received came from the least likely of people...my fellow Soldiers and my bosses. They stood by me, and now 18 years later Im still in...ready for retirement and hopefully helping young men and women. How does this apply, there is always help somewhere. Sometimes it comes from the least likely of places. I know it cliche, but you WILL come out of this, and be a stronger person than you were before.

I really like the idea of getting a pet, specially a dog. Dogs truly are mans best friend!!! Also, whether you know it or not, you have at least one good friend you can talk with, and from the looks of it, many on Redszone. It's really a good sign that you are willing to post on here what you are going thru. Continue to do so and hopefully it's a release!

Get well friend, and in the words of Jimmy V. Don't give up....don't ever give up!!!

23. Likes:

dougdirt (07-05-2014),Tom Servo (07-07-2014)

Turn Off Ads?