Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stings

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Stings

I hadn't been stung by anything since I was a teenager, until today. My wife asked me to change a light bulb outside, so I got the ladder up and climbed up with a new bulb in my pocket and didn't notice the little nest way up in the fixture next to the burned out bulb until I started screwing the bulb out and felt like someone jabbed a red hot needle in my hand, right between my thumb and index finger. Then I saw the darn nest and the less than cordial vermin coming out of it. I escaped with only the one sting.

I got stung by all manner of bees and wasps when I was a kid, but I don't ever recall one that hurt this much. I was able to make sure there wasn't any kind of stinger left in there and I sprayed some antiseptic spray on it, which helped somewhat, but that sucker must have had some serious venom because there was a large swollen spot and pain was shooting through the length of my thumb. That was around 4:00 pm and now, over eight hours later, it's still hurting. The swelling has gone down and there's no visual indication that anything happened, but the spot still has a constant pain. It doesn't appear that I'm having any kind of allergic reaction, because other than the pain I feel ok and the swelling and redness have disappeared, but I'm still wondering what kind of critter that was. I've never felt a sting that painful or that hurt for this long. Any ideas?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Re: Stings

I feel ya. I got nailed about 15 times by yellow jackets last fall while mowing.

I get black wasps that like to get into my light fixtures at home. Been stung once and it hurt like all hell. That would be a possibility and also a possibility there are more in there.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I had a similar scenario... Hadn't been stung in probably 15 years, then I got stung three times in about a months time. The third time was while weed eating. It hurt, but nothing terrible. So I finish up, go get in the shower. As soon as the water hit me, it felt like I had to peel every inch of skin off. So I hopped in the car to go get some Benadryl. By the time I got halfway to walgreens, I knew I was in deep trouble and headed to the ER instead. I passed out just after I told the doc what happened... From shock, thankfully, not anaphylaxis. So they pumped me full of steroids, etc. and sent me home. I saw an allergist the next day and he said there's no way to really know how I would react the next time I got stung. So now I carry an epipen.

So about 3 months later, I got stung again. Hit myself with the epipen, called 911. By the time the ambulance got me to the hospital, my hand had swollen about 2x normal size but again, no breathing problems. So hopefully, that's that. But I still carry an epipen and will still use it and call 911 if I get stung again.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I farm, so I run into these nasty critters all the time. I keep some baking soda and white vinegar handy. If I get stung i douse the area with vinegar, and then rub baking soda over it immediately. Seems to keep the sting and burn in check.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I farm, so I run into these nasty critters all the time. I keep some baking soda and white vinegar handy. If I get stung i douse the area with vinegar, and then rub baking soda over it immediately. Seems to keep the sting and burn in check.
    Tobacco juices helps too. For real.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I uncovered two separate hives in my yard last year, and one at work.

the first hive I found tilling over part my east garden in late summer in preparation for the start of the fall/winter garden. they were American honeybees. I got stung 12 times, and it cost me about $100 to have the queen relocated.

the second hive I found at work in early fall when I hit the shop's AC unit with a weed eater. not sure what species, they looked like a cross between yellow-jackets and carpenter bees. I was stung 17 times.

the third hive I found was dumping the soil from my used vertical gardening pots in mid-fall. honeybees again had built a nest, this time in the giant pot that I grew sugar baby watermelons in. I was stung eight times. and spent another $100 to move them.

and this is the part where I point out I haven't stung since I was nine years old. when I was five, I nearly died from a single yellowjacket sting.

all that said, I love watching bees and have been trying to convince my wife for two years to let me raise them.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    all that said, I love watching bees and have been trying to convince my wife for two years to let me raise them.
    I've never wanted to raise them, but I do enjoy watching them as well. There's something relaxing about watching them flit around on a bunch of flowers. My great aunt always has flowers all around her house and you can sit there in the back yard and watch the bumblebees buzzing around all day and they won't pay you any attention at all, even if you're sitting a couple feet away.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

I'm a baking powder paste person ...... or mud.

My Aunt swears by Vicks Vapo-rub.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

We have some spray that I usually use for sunburns and it helped a bit.

I use lanacane, but my brother used to bring some industrial strength topical stuff from the hospital he worked at. My grandmother was big into the baking soda paste, which I recall working pretty well. Mostly, I've experienced yellow jacket attacks, working in landscaping years ago. It just came with the territory. I suspect you got hit by a paper wasp, those tend to feel like you've had acid poured on your skin.

Try some ice too.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

The plural form is actually pronounced "The Police".
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

14. Likes:

Hoosier Red (06-24-2014),Ravenlord (06-19-2014),RichRed (06-22-2014),WMR (06-26-2014)

I get stung once in a while. Honey bees, sweat bees - they bother me about as much as a mosquito. I guess I'm not allergic to their venom at all (I'm weird - I can rub poison ivy all over and never get so much as a bump either). But last summer I hit a mud dauber nest while mowing and got stung a half dozen times. Good lord it felt like I was shot over and over again. I mean it felt like a sting and at the same like getting hit with a ballbat. I discovered I am NOT impervious to wasp varieties!
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Hornets are the worst.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

When I was about 13 I left a coke on the porch while mowing, I took a swig and swallowed a bee and it stung me in the throat, only time in my life I thought I might die, thankfully I am not allergic.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?