Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Hypothetical Trade

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,782

    Hypothetical Trade

    With the signing of Iglesias, do you trade Robert Stephenson or Michael Lorenzen for Javier Baez? Who hangs up first?

    Baez is blocked by Starlin Castro and his LTC. Cubs desperately need young top-shelf pitching. Reds desperately need an inexpensive offensive-minded shortstop, and the Cubs are the only team that seems to have a spare one.

    I probably wouldn't trade Stephenson but I'd be tempted with Lorenzen.
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,159

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    I'd be willing to move any of Lorenzen, Moscot or Travieso for a quality bat (minor or major league). I'd even be willing to move Lively if the return is right. Stephenson would be untouchable for me.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  4. Likes:

    Tom Servo (06-27-2014)

  5. #3
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,671

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    It would take a Baez like prospect in return for me to move Lorenzen or Bob Steve. Moscot, Lively, Travieso I might lower that a tad but not by much. Moving any of those guys better bring a real stud back who is under team control for a while, but a top pitcher prospect for a top hitter prospect does have some appeal if it isn't Lorenzen or Stephenson. Personally, I think Lorenzen is going to be special.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

  6. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (06-27-2014)

  7. #4
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,903

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    Don't you think they'll just move Castro or Baez to second?

  8. Likes:

    _Sir_Charles_ (07-01-2014)

  9. #5
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,700

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    It would take a Baez like prospect in return for me to move Lorenzen or Bob Steve. Moscot, Lively, Travieso I might lower that a tad but not by much. Moving any of those guys better bring a real stud back who is under team control for a while, but a top pitcher prospect for a top hitter prospect does have some appeal if it isn't Lorenzen or Stephenson. Personally, I think Lorenzen is going to be special.
    I'm agreeing with you on Lorenzen. Idk what the deal was, but my brother (who is not a member) has been just as high on Lorenzen as Stephenson since this spring and he may also be the one guy I know that expected Simon to pitch the way he has. IMO though Stephenson and Lorenzen are both close to untouchable. I know the Cubs have some great prospects, but I'd try to find hitters elsewhere. Possibly facing Lorenzen and or Stephenson a ton of times as a division rival doesn't sit well with me. A trade like that could really turn the Cubs, who are IMO the sleeping giant if the NL into a real powerhouse. I'd say pass and look elsewhere.

  10. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,782

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    Two trades I'd do:

    Lorenzen, Travieso or Lively for SS Javier Baez
    Moscot, Travieso or Lively for SS Gleyber Torres
    Go BLUE!!!

  11. #7
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,876

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    I would only consider trading Stephenson to an al team, and certainly not to a team in the division. The thought of Stephenson destroying the Reds in a cubs uniform makes me ill.

    Also: I think the cubs would hang up first with Stephenson for Baez right now, mid 4 era at aa probably doesn't excite them very much.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 07-01-2014 at 10:55 PM.

  12. #8
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,082

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I would only consider trading Stephenson to an al team, and certainly not to a team in the division. The thought of Stephenson destroying the Reds in a cubs uniform makes me ill.

    Also: I think the cubs would hang up first with Stephenson for Baez right now, mid 4 era at aa probably doesn't excite them very much.
    In terms of statistical performance, Robert Stephenson looks like an MVP compared to Baez right now.

  13. #9
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,876

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In terms of statistical performance, Robert Stephenson looks like an MVP compared to Baez right now.
    I would agree, but Baez is 21 at AAA and is showing power and has been on fire recently. Stephenson is 21 at AA and is actually getting worse as the season goes along.

  14. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    638

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I would agree, but Baez is 21 at AAA and is showing power and has been on fire recently. Stephenson is 21 at AA and is actually getting worse as the season goes along.
    The power is legit but contact rate is dreadful. I feel much more confident about Stephenson's ability to be a #2 starter at the ML level than I do about Baez's ability to be an above average regular at SS.

  15. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,782

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Don't you think they'll just move Castro or Baez to second?
    Don't forget they have Arismendy Alcantara at 2B in AAA. Only guy in professional baseball with double digits doubles, triples, home runs and steals. And a .889 OPS in AAA at age 22.
    Go BLUE!!!

  16. #12
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Two trades I'd do:

    Lorenzen, Travieso or Lively for SS Javier Baez
    Moscot, Travieso or Lively for SS Gleyber Torres
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  17. Likes:

    mdccclxix (07-09-2014)

  18. #13
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,903

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Don't forget they have Arismendy Alcantara at 2B in AAA. Only guy in professional baseball with double digits doubles, triples, home runs and steals. And a .889 OPS in AAA at age 22.
    Yeah, I'd rather trade for him. Wouldn't cost so much pitching.

  19. Likes:

    Rojo (07-09-2014)

  20. #14
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,671

    Re: Hypothetical Trade

    We'll see Alcantara tonight.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

  21. Likes:

    Benihana (07-09-2014)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25