Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: 6/29/14 Reds @ Giant Sequoias (Sweep the Leg edition)

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: 6/29/14 Reds @ Giant Sequoias (Sweep the Leg edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    He's a big dude. I bet he'll be able to hold his own against those rabid Giants fans when they chase him through the parking lot.
    Kinda looks like Mat Latos' out of shape little brother.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Likes:

Larkin Fan (06-30-2014), Norm Chortleton (06-29-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

"We ran into four starters as dominant as four starters I've ever seen before," Giants' manager Bruce Bochy said.

5. Likes:

Boss-Hog (06-30-2014), Brutus (06-29-2014), cumberlandreds (06-30-2014), powersackers (06-29-2014), Red Raindog (06-29-2014), Tom Servo (06-29-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (06-30-2014)

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    "We ran into four starters as dominant as four starters I've ever seen before," Giants' manager Bruce Bochy said.

In the 4 game series, the Giants scored exactly 4 runs off Reds' starters.

Leake - Cueto - Simon - Bailey were all incredible this series.

Throw in Mat Latos and that's a team I don't want to get into a series with in the playoffs.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    In the 4 game series, the Giants scored exactly 4 runs off Reds' starters.

Leake - Cueto - Simon - Bailey were all incredible this series.

Throw in Mat Latos and that's a team I don't want to get into a series with in the playoffs.
    Gotta make the playoffs first. If it were to start today we'd be In or a tie breaker right?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Missed the game thread today--had other commitments, but was able to watch the last three innings and follow along her tonight. Mostly what I learned is that Joey is crippled and needs to go on the DL or sit out the Padre series, I haven't heard one peep from the club on this, and they would have to be more than stupid to play him if he's hurt. This may be the Joey you see from now on. I hope I'm wrong.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Gotta make the playoffs first. If it were to start today we'd be In or a tie breaker right?

Yes.

The NL wild card is one big 4-team tie right now.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Sometimes you just know...
    I believe that I have solved the puzzle of what follows the ellipsis to complete that sentence.

"Sometimes you just know... it's time to blow it up!"

It works so mystery solved.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Kinda looks like Mat Latos' out of shape little brother.
    Ha, I thought he looked familiar!

Not sure if it's been mentioned.....first time Giants have been swept at home since the moved to their new park in 2000.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Gotta love Homer post game comments:

''I wasn't really thinking about it, other than the fan just above our dugout who kept yelling at me about it,'' Bailey said. ''That was nice of him.''
    "I had pretty good stuff, got a lot of early outs and we scored enough runs,'' Bailey said. ''It was our lucky day, I guess.''

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-30-2014)

In case you are interested here are the box scores of the last four game sweep in Frisco nack in '72. Reds got good pitching then too. Clay Carroll had three saves in that series. Jack Billingham and Ross Grimsley pitched very good games. The Giants had all of 2800 fans show up for the last game of that series. They had 2600 in another game and about 7500 for the doubleheader. Times have changed.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...170SFN1972.htm

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...161SFN1972.htm

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...162SFN1972.htm

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...180SFN1972.htm
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    In case you are interested here are the box scores of the last four game sweep in Frisco nack in '72. Reds got good pitching then too. Clay Carroll had three saves in that series. Jack Billingham and Ross Grimsley pitched very good games. The Giants had all of 2800 fans show up for the last game of that series. They had 2600 in another game and about 7500 for the doubleheader. Times have changed.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...170SFN1972.htm

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...161SFN1972.htm

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...162SFN1972.htm

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...180SFN1972.htm
    That was a different time for sports' fans, especially out here in the NW.

Back in May of 1972, two stations could be heard from the Portland area if you wanted to hear live major league baseball. The Giants and the Dodgers. Back in May of 1972, you could get the Dodgers on more than one channel (AM only), while the Giants were available on only one. But, regardless, you couldn't get either one of them until after 9:00, pretty much. You had to wait for other stations to quit their broadcasting that would interfere with the baseball broadcasts.

You also had to do "special" things to get the broadcast....standing in a certain spot outside....adding an aerial antennae that you'd attach to your radio antennae,....get the "bounce" off of the stratosphere, so you'd get to listen for a minute, lose the signal for a minute, listen for a minute, lose the signal for a minute, and so on....use your own body for an aerial,....and whatever other creative ways you could come up with in order to get a taste of live major league baseball. If you weren't a Giants or Dodgers fan like myself, you'd listen, just so you could get an update on the REDS score.

I could only get baseball news through two sources back in May of '72....The Sporting News weekly newspaper (which was four+ days late by the time it would get to Portland, and Baseball Digest's monthly publication. I'd soak up all that was in those two subscriptions. Fortunately, there was a newspaper around here at the time, called the Oregon Journal, that leaned heavily towards REDS' news and headlines back then. The Oregonian clearly favored the Dodgers.

Young fans in the Midwest and the East didn't know how spoiled they were. Once when visiting my grandmother in Litchfield, Minnesota in June of 1975, I turned on her old radio to see if I could get a broadcast of the Twins, and through them hear a REDS score. While searching, I not only heard the Twins' broadcast, but the White Sox, the Cardinals, the Brewers, and I know I heard another. I was in Heaven! It was also that year that I discovered that the main library in downtown Portland would get Sunday versions of The Cincinnati Enquirer and The Cincinnati Post,...on a two-week delay, but "real" REDS news, nonetheless. More heaven as I made regular trips to that library to get my fill of REDS' information.

To think that it's been that long since the REDS won a four-game series in San Francisco (it's where I saw my very first REDS' game, but in September of 1983). My spouse was still only nine months old back then. My older brother, deceased eight years ago, would be off to the Military Academy back East in just a couple of months. My Dad would pass away eight months later. I would stop playing baseball and start playing football, with football easily being my favorite sport to play, but the REDS would always be my favorite team to follow, even with the arrival of the Portland Trailblazers (I would attend about 45 home games over the next two seasons, mostly free as our group of friends were all too poor to afford to pay for a $2 General Admission ticket...we'd figure out ways to sneak into the games every night.).

That 1972 Cincinnati REDS team had only two players, Bench and Concepcion, who had the same starting position as the year before in 1971 when they struggled and failed to finish .500. They blew up that team, even though it won 100 games the year before along with winning the NL pennant.

Morgan replaced Helms.

Perez went from starting at 3B the last two seasons and replaced Lee at 1B.

Rose went from RF the last two seasons and Started in LF.

Foster was benched and Bobbie Tolan started in CF.

Carbo was jettisoned and Geronimo started in RF.

Menke was given the start at 3B.

We've got three new Starters this year in Mesoraco, Hamilton and Ludwick (Heisey played more than Ludwick last year). It's not as much of a makeover, but it's pretty substantial, especially when you see that the bench is all new, too.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?