Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Phil Ervin

  1. #1
    Member Chuckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    688

    Phil Ervin

    I keep waiting for him to bust out of his "slump" but it's not happening. Hey, at least he's consistent!

    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=640447

    What in the world happened to this guy? Did he do anything during the offseason to improve. How did a first-round pick out of the college ranks last year (who played well at Billings and Dayton last year) regress so much during the span of one offseason? I know he was battling a minor injury earlier in the year, but I'm starting to get really worried about him. I had him pegged as a future starting OF for the Reds. I better start tempering my expectations.

    .662 OPS for a soon to be 22-year-old at low-A? That's horrendous.
    All-Star Game hosts and World Series champs in 2015

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    330

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I keep waiting for him to bust out of his "slump" but it's not happening. Hey, at least he's consistent!

    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=640447

    What in the world happened to this guy? Did he do anything during the offseason to improve. How did a first-round pick out of the college ranks last year (who played well at Billings and Dayton last year) regress so much during the span of one offseason? I know he was battling a minor injury earlier in the year, but I'm starting to get really worried about him. I had him pegged as a future starting OF for the Reds. I better start tempering my expectations.

    .662 OPS for a soon to be 22-year-old at low-A? That's horrendous.
    He had an .870 OPS in the month of June. He has busted out of his slump.

  4. Likes:

    dougdirt (07-01-2014), reds44 (07-01-2014)

  5. #3
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: Phil Ervin

    .863 OPS in his last 10 games.

    I don't know if his injury was minor, seemed like the nagging type. Wait for the whole season to unfold.

  6. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (07-01-2014), RedlegJake (07-01-2014)

  7. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,856

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I keep waiting for him to bust out of his "slump" but it's not happening. Hey, at least he's consistent!

    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=640447

    What in the world happened to this guy? Did he do anything during the offseason to improve. How did a first-round pick out of the college ranks last year (who played well at Billings and Dayton last year) regress so much during the span of one offseason? I know he was battling a minor injury earlier in the year, but I'm starting to get really worried about him. I had him pegged as a future starting OF for the Reds. I better start tempering my expectations.

    .662 OPS for a soon to be 22-year-old at low-A? That's horrendous.
    No, he didn't do anything during the offseason to improve. He had wrist surgery after the season and couldn't do any baseball activities until March.

  8. #5
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,110

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Chuckie, not meaning this as anything derogatory, but you need to pay closer attention to what is going on in the minors before you comment.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  9. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (07-02-2014), Edd Roush (07-02-2014), JayBruceFan (07-02-2014), OnBaseMachine (07-01-2014), Puffy (07-02-2014)

  10. #6
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,135

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I had him pegged as a future starting OF for the Reds. I better start tempering my expectations.
    Or maybe you should just let things play out more before declaring someone a huge success or a spectacular failure 12 months into their professional career.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  11. Likes:

    Fargo Red (07-01-2014)

  12. #7
    Member Fargo Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    11

    Re: Phil Ervin

    This is BASEBALL...not the NFL. Kids don't jump from the draft to the starting lineup, overnight! It generally takes about 2-3 years for a kid to make his way to the bigs...and that's best case scenario. Hamilton started with the organization in 2009 and just became a 'starting OF' THIS YEAR! Slow your roll.

  13. #8
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,856

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Red View Post
    This is BASEBALL...not the NFL. Kids don't jump from the draft to the starting lineup, overnight! It generally takes about 2-3 years for a kid to make his way to the bigs...and that's best case scenario. Hamilton started with the organization in 2009 and just became a 'starting OF' THIS YEAR! Slow your roll.
    To be a little more fair though, Hamilton signed out of high school at 18. Ervin signed out of college at 20.

    But yeah, you need to give guys time. The number of guys ready to play in the big leagues out of the draft at even an average starting player caliber level come up once every 10 years or so.

  14. Likes:

    Chuckie (07-02-2014), Old school 1983 (07-02-2014)

  15. #9
    Member Chuckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    688

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Or maybe you should just let things play out more before declaring someone a huge success or a spectacular failure 12 months into their professional career.
    I wasn't doing either, but thanks for the advice.
    All-Star Game hosts and World Series champs in 2015

  16. #10
    Member Chuckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    688

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Red View Post
    This is BASEBALL...not the NFL. Kids don't jump from the draft to the starting lineup, overnight! It generally takes about 2-3 years for a kid to make his way to the bigs...and that's best case scenario. Hamilton started with the organization in 2009 and just became a 'starting OF' THIS YEAR! Slow your roll.
    Yep, thinking Ervin should be doing better at low-A ball and him starting for the Reds right now is the same thing. Good point on your part. (Nope.)
    All-Star Game hosts and World Series champs in 2015

  17. #11
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I wasn't doing either, but thanks for the advice.
    I had him pegged as a future starting OF for the Reds. I better start tempering my expectations.

    .662 OPS for a soon to be 22-year-old at low-A? That's horrendous.
    This is basically saying you see him as a failure. If he doesn't become a major league starting OF, he is a failure in my eyes. It's too early to tell, though, and he was much better in June than May and April.

  18. #12
    Member Chuckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    688

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is basically saying you see him as a failure. If he doesn't become a major league starting OF, he is a failure in my eyes. It's too early to tell, though, and he was much better in June than May and April.
    You are "basically" putting words in my mouth, but nice try. I am not calling Ervin a failure. I am still very high on him. I'm concerned, but not calling him a failure. I've tempered my expectations on him a bit, but in no way do I think he's a failure.

    Which made Tom Servo's post that was dripping in hyperbole hilarious to me. No one was calling Ervin a "spectacular failure." But hey, it's fun to exaggerate and put words in people's mouths. It should be an Olympic event. Tom would win gold.
    All-Star Game hosts and World Series champs in 2015

  19. #13
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    You are "basically" putting words in my mouth, but nice try. I am not calling Ervin a failure. I am still very high on him. I'm concerned, but not calling him a failure. I've tempered my expectations on him a bit, but in no way do I think he's a failure.

    Which made Tom Servo's post that was dripping in hyperbole hilarious to me. No one was calling Ervin a "spectacular failure." But hey, it's fun to exaggerate and put words in people's mouths. It should be an Olympic event. Tom would win gold.
    I quoted you, how is that putting words in your mouth? I am not trying anything. You ripped on Ervin without looking at how he has improved in the last month.

  20. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,225

    Re: Phil Ervin

    I've said it before and I'll say it again .... it is ludicrous to raise or lower your expectations for a player who has yet to play a full season of pro ball. A couple hot months at the end of 2013 was no reason to raise your expectations, nor are a couple of cold months to start 2014 a reason to lower your expectations. The samples are just too small to make any meaningful judgements. Wait until he has completed his first full season before leaping to any conclusions, good or bad.

  21. #15
    Member Chuckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    688

    Re: Phil Ervin

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I quoted you, how is that putting words in your mouth? I am not trying anything. You ripped on Ervin without looking at how he has improved in the last month.
    The part where you said: "This is basically saying you see him as a failure." Do you recall writing that?
    All-Star Game hosts and World Series champs in 2015


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25