Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects - Midseason/July 2014 Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects - Midseason/July 2014 Edition

The BP list also linked to a couple of scouting reports from Ethan Purser. Conclusions below, sub to BP for the full reports

Stephenson :
    Stephenson is a special arm, one with the potential to have two high-end pitches with the fastball and curveball. Along with the below-average changeup, the command profile is the bugaboo currently and will very likely be an issue going forward. It's easy to see the enormous potential in the arsenal, but in this outing, Stephenson looked the part of a mid-rotation starter who flashes front-of-the-rotation stuff but lacks the command profile to anchor a rotation. Though he's currently in Double-A, Stephenson needs a good bit of time to develop and refine his arsenal. An appearance at the highest level in the latter part of 2015 would not be a surprise with a shot at a rotation spot the following season fully in his sights.
    Lorenzen:
    Previously billed as a bullpen candidate due to the lack of a playable changeup and a funky delivery, Lorenzen has made huge strides across the board this season, and after this start, I believe in Lorenzen as a starting pitcher going forward. He showed a rounded four-pitch arsenal, three of which could be used as swing-and-miss/weak-contact offerings at the highest level. The command profile will never be above-average, and despite some mechanical red flags, Lorenzen has top-of-the-charts athleticism and should be able to repeat his delivery in a manner that would be conducive to average command. The stuff is electric and he will likely tease with more, but Lorenzen should settle in as a solid mid-rotation starter, a huge developmental win for the Reds.
    He also did a report on Lively:
    Lively has good stuff across the board and, perhaps more importantly, shows good pitchability with realistic room for growth in this department. He goes into at-bats with a plan, executes, and pitches with major confidence, wanting to shove the fastball down hitters' throats. The fastball, while not a crazy weapon in terms of pure velocity, plays up due to its sneakiness and gives the pitcher a weapon going forward. The secondary arsenal is highlighted by the potential above-average slider, and while the curveball and changeup only project to average at the highest level, Lively should be able to deploy these pitches with confidence and keep hitters guessing with a few minor refinements. Overall, Lively looks like a good bet to blossom into a mid-rotation workhorse, a great outcome from a fourth-round selection. He should be ready sometime in 2015.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (07-11-2014),Redeyecat (07-15-2014),REDREAD (07-09-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Boy, those are three write-ups to put a spring in your step.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-09-2014),Redeyecat (07-15-2014)

Here are some guys I see as rising this year. I left out the big names, the Bob Steves, Livelys and Lorenzens, Winkers and SMBs for the guys who get less notice or are new to the "big 3" - Dayton, Bakersfield and Pensacola.
    I concentrated on Bakersfield, Dayton and Pensacola for a couple of reasons. Louisville is mostly retreads, chaff and pretty well known commodities. Billings is full of hopeful raw kids but the short season, first pro experience and the hitting environment often skews things. Love to watch Billings and speculate but don't put stock in it until they get to Dayton. AZL and the Dominican Leagues are too far away yet. Let those guys rise in their time. From Dayton, through Bakersfield and on to Pensacola are the guys I am imminently interested in.

Rising
    Pitchers
    Carlos Gonzalez, Pensacola/Bakersfield 0.70 era 38.1IP 21H 11BB 40Ks. RH reliever turning some heads with his 2014 performance across 2 levels, .156 BA against in Cal League and .160 against so far in Southern League.

Zack Weiss, Dayton 1.41 era 38.1IP 34H 12 BB 46Ks all in relief. So-so in Billings last year he has been dominant out of the pen in Dayton. Will he begin starting at some point?

Jackson Stevens 2.79 era 19.1IP 19H 6BB 20Ks another 20 y/o. Numbers don't include his latest start which was his most impressive outing yet. Pretty highly rated already, his stock rises on answering some doubts whether he would be healthy as well as the performances.

Dan Langfield, Dayton 2.62 era 34.1IP 22H 18BB 49Ks Coming back from injury Dan has reasserted his place as a special prospect. Control is a bit troubling but his stock jumps on an otherwise great return

Nolan Becker, Dayton 1.20 era 15IP 7H 3BB 15Ks lefty reliever could move up fairly quick as a LOOGY candidate out of Yale

Hitters
    Sean Buckley, Dayton/Bakersfield - He slashed .185/.240/.304/.544 in Dayton and got promoted, likely due to age/level. In Bakersfield and it's friendly confines his slash is .375/.403/.653/.1.055 He did have a nice debut with Billings, slowed a bit at Dayton because of a lingering appendectomy and was injured much of 2013 (elbow). But his stock has definitely risen again. He graded high in the power tool and maybe he's finally healthy enough to display it. If he keeps hitting he'll move quickly. Mattair ahead of him isn't going to hold him back.

Sebastian Elizalde, Dayton/Bakersfield .310/.428/.482/.910 He's actually started slowly at Bakersfield. He's "only" OPSing .831 He can hit plain and simple. Walks at a high clip, drives the ball.

Juan Silva. Bakersfield .310/.421/.437/.858 Looks good but it is the Cal League. Still he's gained a bump in my book.

Junior Arias, Bakersfield .394/.459/.606/1.066 OK - that's flippin ridiculous even for Cal! Man I wish he hadn't gotten hurt!

Jon Matthews, Bakersfield/Dayton .331/.418/.411/.829 17 sb - speedy outfielder is hitting, hitting, hitting. Not a power guy. Potential 2 hole to Billy's leadoff someday? Certainly raising his profile

Tanner Rahier, Dayton .288/.337/.424/.761 6 homers. Not eye popping numbers but enough improvement to boost his stock certainly.

Carlton Daal, Dayton .301/.338/.346/.684 He can hit albeit without much power but it's good enough for a SS. The bugaboo here is whether he gets the throwing down - too many errors. Bat has raised his stock. Fielding has raised the question marks.

Jose Ortiz, Dayton .304/.360/.652/.1.012 Although his season has just gotten started he's already ripping the cover off the ball. Pioneer numbers are no mirage with this guy it seems.

Rossmel Perez, Pensacola .319/.373/.445/.818 Where the heck did this come from? Lefty hitting catcher has raised his stock although I'm not sure if this is just a mirage. Nothing in his career so far would indicate these numbers were coming. If it's for real then one whale of a pickup.

Kyle Waldrop, Pensacola/Bakersfield .346/.399/.506/.906 is Penscola stats are down but only to a reasonable level (.819) - his Cal League numbers were ridiculous. Really rising in my book, maybe a dark horse LF candidate, certainly pushing his way into the 4th OFer speculation for the near future.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

7. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-11-2014),Drugs Delaney (07-11-2014),HokieRed (07-11-2014),mace (07-11-2014),mth123 (07-11-2014),OGB (07-15-2014),Redeyecat (07-15-2014),Tony Cloninger (07-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Here are some guys I see as rising this year. I left out the big names, the Bob Steves, Livelys and Lorenzens, Winkers and SMBs for the guys who get less notice or are new to the "big 3" - Dayton, Bakersfield and Pensacola.
    I concentrated on Bakersfield, Dayton and Pensacola for a couple of reasons. Louisville is mostly retreads, chaff and pretty well known commodities. Billings is full of hopeful raw kids but the short season, first pro experience and the hitting environment often skews things. Love to watch Billings and speculate but don't put stock in it until they get to Dayton. AZL and the Dominican Leagues are too far away yet. Let those guys rise in their time. From Dayton, through Bakersfield and on to Pensacola are the guys I am imminently interested in.

Rising
    Pitchers
    Carlos Gonzalez, Pensacola/Bakersfield 0.70 era 38.1IP 21H 11BB 40Ks. RH reliever turning some heads with his 2014 performance across 2 levels, .156 BA against in Cal League and .160 against so far in Southern League.

Zack Weiss, Dayton 1.41 era 38.1IP 34H 12 BB 46Ks all in relief. So-so in Billings last year he has been dominant out of the pen in Dayton. Will he begin starting at some point?

Jackson Stevens 2.79 era 19.1IP 19H 6BB 20Ks another 20 y/o. Numbers don't include his latest start which was his most impressive outing yet. Pretty highly rated already, his stock rises on answering some doubts whether he would be healthy as well as the performances.

Dan Langfield, Dayton 2.62 era 34.1IP 22H 18BB 49Ks Coming back from injury Dan has reasserted his place as a special prospect. Control is a bit troubling but his stock jumps on an otherwise great return

Nolan Becker, Dayton 1.20 era 15IP 7H 3BB 15Ks lefty reliever could move up fairly quick as a LOOGY candidate out of Yale

Hitters
    Sean Buckley, Dayton/Bakersfield - He slashed .185/.240/.304/.544 in Dayton and got promoted, likely due to age/level. In Bakersfield and it's friendly confines his slash is .375/.403/.653/.1.055 He did have a nice debut with Billings, slowed a bit at Dayton because of a lingering appendectomy and was injured much of 2013 (elbow). But his stock has definitely risen again. He graded high in the power tool and maybe he's finally healthy enough to display it. If he keeps hitting he'll move quickly. Mattair ahead of him isn't going to hold him back.

Sebastian Elizalde, Dayton/Bakersfield .310/.428/.482/.910 He's actually started slowly at Bakersfield. He's "only" OPSing .831 He can hit plain and simple. Walks at a high clip, drives the ball.

Juan Silva. Bakersfield .310/.421/.437/.858 Looks good but it is the Cal League. Still he's gained a bump in my book.

Junior Arias, Bakersfield .394/.459/.606/1.066 OK - that's flippin ridiculous even for Cal! Man I wish he hadn't gotten hurt!

Jon Matthews, Bakersfield/Dayton .331/.418/.411/.829 17 sb - speedy outfielder is hitting, hitting, hitting. Not a power guy. Potential 2 hole to Billy's leadoff someday? Certainly raising his profile

Tanner Rahier, Dayton .288/.337/.424/.761 6 homers. Not eye popping numbers but enough improvement to boost his stock certainly.

Carlton Daal, Dayton .301/.338/.346/.684 He can hit albeit without much power but it's good enough for a SS. The bugaboo here is whether he gets the throwing down - too many errors. Bat has raised his stock. Fielding has raised the question marks.

Jose Ortiz, Dayton .304/.360/.652/.1.012 Although his season has just gotten started he's already ripping the cover off the ball. Pioneer numbers are no mirage with this guy it seems.

Rossmel Perez, Pensacola .319/.373/.445/.818 Where the heck did this come from? Lefty hitting catcher has raised his stock although I'm not sure if this is just a mirage. Nothing in his career so far would indicate these numbers were coming. If it's for real then one whale of a pickup.

Kyle Waldrop, Pensacola/Bakersfield .346/.399/.506/.906 is Penscola stats are down but only to a reasonable level (.819) - his Cal League numbers were ridiculous. Really rising in my book, maybe a dark horse LF candidate, certainly pushing his way into the 4th OFer speculation for the near future.
    Great posting. We're definitely far enough into the season for the stats to start to be meaningful and to reassess where some of these guys rank in the system.

I pose the question to RZ concerning Elizalde's ceiling. I notice that he is listed as OF'er/1B. He does have 9 HR this year, but has not shown much power in the past. Still, he is still young, with lots of doubles. It appears that he can hit for average and get on base at a high rate. Speed seems to be no better than average. Does he possess enough power potential to be considered a corner outfield prospect? Does he profile as 4th OF'er?

I know it's been a week since the baseball prospectus midseason top 50 came out, but I was just wondering if anyone could share the list only without any scouting report, particulary numbers 7, 14, 20, 23, 30, 32, 38, and 44. I'm just curious to see how the BP list looks compared to mine. Thanks in advance.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Doug, I'm not one to get too excited about prospects early on. But there seem to be a LOT of solid hitting prospects at Billings. How much of that is attributed to talent, and how much (if any) is attributable to the ballpark and/or the opposing pitching talent?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Doug, I'm not one to get too excited about prospects early on. But there seem to be a LOT of solid hitting prospects at Billings. How much of that is attributed to talent, and how much (if any) is attributable to the ballpark and/or the opposing pitching talent?
    The league in general is hitter friendly, but the ballpark they play in is pitcher friendly (for the league at least). There's some talent on that team though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    My name's not Doug but there are definitely a few real hitting prospects on that team. Specifically SS Cory Thompson, OF Aristedes Aquino, SS/2B Alex Blandino and 3B Taylor Sparks- all four of those guys are top 25 guys in the system.

Over time Kevin Franklin could turn things around too, although he hasn't dazzled since being taken in the 2nd round of last year's draft.
    Go BLUE!!!

At mid-season I prefer to look at momentum. Whose stock is up and whose is down?

Stock Up

Michael Lorenzen - Hard to ask more from the guy. More whiffs would be nice, but he's got the velo to add them.

Jon Moscot - Might have some Aaron Harang in him.

Ben Lively - Got some BB issues in AA, but he's still got an absurd K rate. It would be nice to see him stick at one level for a while so we can see if a league catches up to him or if he adjusts beyond the league.

Kyle Waldrop - Swiftly working his way into prospect status.

Jesse Winker - Establishing himself as one of the better hitters in the minors.

Juan Silva - OB and speed can take you far.

Sebastian Elizalde - Mature approach to hitting.

Carlton Daal - It's a SS!

Amir Garrett - Becoming a pitcher.

Dan Langfield - Healthy and gassing hitters. It will be interesting to see where he slots in (rotation or pen) and how quickly he moves up.

Juan Silverio - Frazier in front of him and SMB behind him, but he keeps progressing.

Stock Down

Daniel Corcino - Plagued by control problems and still moving backwards. Might need a bullpen conversion.

Phil Ervin - Still a prospect, but not on the rocket ride he was after 2013.

Chad Rogers - Looks like he might have hit his ceiling.

Others are up or down to smaller degrees. For instance, Travieso's performance has helped him avoid the trap door that was under him if he didn't perform, but I doubt it's going to appreciably change the prospect grades that were out there prior to the season. Tucker Barnhart is having a forgettable season at the plate, but his catching skills remain his ticket to a major league career.

I stayed away from kids in rookie ball because they haven't played enough yet. By the end of the season I expect more than a few of them will see their stock way up. Dayton's 2015 rotation is already looking pretty interesting.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-16-2014),mace (07-16-2014),OGB (07-30-2014),RedlegJake (07-16-2014),Tony Cloninger (07-17-2014)

Haven't been able to post as much lately, but here is a late July ranking. Guys below AA are hard to rank just by stats, and that is mostly what I'm going off of, so this is just to kick-start a little discussion.

1. Stephenson
    2. Winker
    3. Lorenzen (Muddy from here)
    4. Ervin
    5. Travieso
    6. Iglacias
    7. Lively
    8. Aquino
    9. Elizalde
    10. Mejias-Brean
    11. Howard
    12. Garrett
    13. Y-Rod
    14. Romano
    15. Blandino
    16. Daal
    17. Waldrop
    18. Medina
    19. Thompson
    20. Moscot
    21. Guillon
    22. Langfield
    23. Constante
    24. Corcino
    25. Arias
    26. Rahier
    27. Lavelley
    28. D. Wright
    29. R. Wright
    30. Holmberg
    Last edited by mth123; 07-27-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

757690 (07-27-2014),HokieRed (07-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Haven't been able to post as much lately, but here is a late July ranking. Guys below AA are hard to rank just by stats, and that is mostly what I'm going off of, so this is just to kick-start a little discussion.

1. Stephenson
    2. Winker
    3. Lorenzen (Muddy from here)
    4. Ervin
    5. Travieso
    6. Iglacias
    7. Lively
    8. Aquino
    9. Elizalde
    10. Mejias-Brean
    11. Howard
    12. Garrett
    13. Y-Rod
    14. Romano
    15. Blandino
    16. Daal
    17. Waldrop
    18. Medina
    19. Thompson
    20. Moscot
    21. Guillon
    22. Langfield
    23. Constante
    24. Corcino
    25. Arias
    26. Rahier
    27. Lavelley
    28. D. Wright
    29. R. Wright
    30. Holmberg
    Not a bad list overall, although I'd say IMO Aquino, Elizalde, Romano and Medina are too high while Howard, Rahier and Sparks are all probably too low.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Not a bad list overall, although I'd say IMO Aquino, Elizalde, Romano and Medina are too high while Howard, Rahier and Sparks are all probably too low.
    I think Aquino and Elizalde may be too LOW by a couple. Clearly top ten guys in this organization IMO.

Great list by mth.

I also think the top three guys are closer than most people seem to think.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think Aquino and Elizalde may be too LOW by a couple. Clearly top ten guys in this organization IMO.

Great list by mth.

I also think the top three guys are closer than most people seem to think.
    Aquino and Elizalde aren't sniffing my Top 10 right now. I like both of them, certainly top 20 guys, but the Reds top 10 is a tough one to get into right now and they just aren't there for me and I don't really have to sit back and think about it.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I’ve ranked each position-player (per level) based on their value to the organization, going forward.

AAA-Louisville
    Rey Navarro (2B, SS)…..age: 24.220…..stock: UP/Top 20-30 Reds Prospect (will need to be added to 40-man roster by 2015)
    Juan Silverio (3B)…..age: 23.103…..stock: UP/Top 20-30 Reds Prospect (will need to be added to 40-man roster by 2015)
    Tucker Barnhart (C)…..age: 22.204…..stock: slightly DOWN/Top 30-40 Reds Prospect (40-man roster)

Neftali Soto (1B, 3B)…..age: 25.152…..stock: slightly DOWN/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect (40-man roster)
    Brian Anderson (C)…..age: 27.226…..stock: UP/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect (may need to be added to 40-man roster by 2015)
    Steve Selsky (OF)…..age: 25.010…..stock: slightly UP/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Felix Perez (OF)…..age: 29.258…..stock: UP/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Ryan LaMarre (CF)…..age: 25.251…..stock: DOWN/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect (40-man roster)
    Ruben Gotay (2B, 3B)…..age: 31.217…..MiL FA having a solid season in AAA-LOU.
    Jason Bourgeois (CF)…..age: 32.207…..MiL FA having a solid season in AAA-LOU.

AA-Pensacola
    Jesse Winker (LF)…..age: 20.347…..stock: UP/Top 5 Reds Prospect
    Yorman Rodriguez (CF)…..age: 21.349…..stock: DOWN/ Top 10-15 Reds Prospect (40-man roster)
    Seth Mejias-Brean (3B)…..age: 23.116…..stock: STEADY/Top 10-15 Reds Prospect
    Kyle Waldrop (LF)…..age: 22.246…..stock: UP/Top 15-20 Reds Prospect
    Ryan Wright (2B)…..age: 24.239…..stock: STEADY /Top 30-40 Reds Prospect
    Rossmel Perez (C)…..age: 24.338….. stock: UP /Top 30-40 Reds Prospect (MiL FA)

Juan Duran (RF)…..age: 22.331….. stock: STEADY/Top 30-40 Reds Prospect (40-man roster)

A+ Bakersfield
    Sebastian Elizalde (OF, 1B)…..age: 22.252…..stock: UP/ Top 10-15 Reds Prospect
    Juan Silva (OF)…..age: 23.203….. stock: UP/ Top 20-30 Reds Prospect
    Junior Arias (CF)…..age: 22.202….. stock: STEADY/ Top 20-30 Reds Prospect

Marquez Smith (1B, 3B)…..age: 29.132…..MiL FA having a tremendous season in A+-BAK.
    Juan Perez (2B, SS)…..age: 22.271…..stock: STEADY/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Beau Amaral (CF)…..age: 23.169…..stock: STEADY/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Zach Vincej (SS)…..age: 23.090…..stock: STEADY/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    David Vidal (C, 1B)…..age: 24.280…..stock: STEADY/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Sean Buckley (1B, DH)…..age: 24.330…..stock: STEADY/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect

A+ Dayton
    Phil Ervin (OF)…..age: 22.015….. stock: DOWN/ Top 5-10 Reds Prospect
    Alex Blandino (SS, 2B)…..age: 21.266….. stock: UP/ Top 5-10 Reds Prospect
    Carlton Daal (SS)…..age: 20.363….. stock: slightly UP/ Top 20-30 Reds Prospect
    Tanner Rahier (3B)…..age: 20.291….. stock: UP/ Top 20-30 Reds Prospect
    Jose Ortiz (C)…..age: 20.049….. stock: STEADY/ Top 20-30 Reds Prospect
    Jon Matthews (OF)…..age: 23.115….. stock: STEADY/ Top 40-50 Reds Prospect

Jamodrick McGruder (2B)…..age: 22.360…..stock: STEADY/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Jonathan Reynoso (OF)…..age: 21.204…..stock: DOWN/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Avain Rachal (UTIL)…..age: 20.169…..stock: DOWN/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect

R-Billings
    Aristides Aquino (OF)…..age: 20.099….. stock: UP/ Top 10-15 Reds Prospect
    Taylor Sparks (3B)…..age: 21.118….. stock: UP/ Top 10-15 Reds Prospect
    Cory Thompson (SS)…..age: 19.310….. stock: STEADY/ Top 30-40 Reds Prospect

Kevin Franklin (3B, 1B)…..age: 19.248.... stock: DOWN/ Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Ty Washington (2B)…..age: 20.332..... stock: STEADY/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Kevin Garcia (2B)…..age: 20.332..... stock: STEADY/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Brian O’Grady (OF, 1B)…..age: 22.074….. stock: UP/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Garrett Boulware (C)…..age: 21.324….. stock: UP/Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Shedric Long (C)…..age: 18.342….. stock: STEADY/ Top 50-75 Reds Prospect

R-AZL Reds
    Gavin LaValley (3B)…..age: 19.214….. stock: UP/ Top 30-40 Reds Prospect
    Reydel Medina (OF)…..age: 21.166….. stock: STEADY/Top 40-50 Reds Prospect
    Jose Siri (CF)…..age: 19.008….. stock: STEADY/Top 40-50 Reds Prospect
    Shane Mardirosian (2B)…..age: 18.290….. stock: STEADY/ Top 40-50 Reds Prospect
    Mitch Trees (C)…..age: 19.012….. stock: STEADY/ Top 40-50 Reds Prospect
    Montrell Marshall (C)…..age: 18.119….. stock: STEADY/ Top 40-50 Reds Prospect

Chadwick Tromp (C)…..age: 19.131.... stock: UP/ Top 50-75 Reds Prospect
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 07-30-2014 at 09:09 PM.

22. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-31-2014),REDREAD (08-13-2014)

Turn Off Ads?