Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Back End of Roster

Back End of Roster

Some stats to backup what we already know, that the "other guys" on this roster aren't producing anything at all.

Reds regular starting 8 has contributed 12.3 WAR
    Other Reds hitters have contributed a combined -0.7 WAR (this gets even worse without Heisey's great defensive rating)

Reds rotation + closer have contributed 7.6 WAR
    Other Reds pitchers have contributed a combined -1.1 WAR (Broxton keeps it from being even worse)

I get that backups are backups for a reason, but we're getting no production at all from anyone outside of the core. Only Broxton, Heisey, Santiago and Pena are even replacement level among guys not in the top 14 described above. That leaves 7 other roster spots. Those 7 spots have combined for a total of -3.5 WAR this season.

This is not normal, even for the bottom of a roster. The Cardinals have 13 hitters in the positive and just added Oscar Taveras to the bench. Some teams have 12 pitchers with a positive contribution and we have 7.

Every year it seems that we see guys come out of nowhere off the bench and teams have "found" production that they basically steal for a period of time. The Reds really haven't done it this year. No middle reliever pitching out of his mind for a small sample size. No bench player going on a hot streak and forcing ABs. No guy stepping up his game filling in for an injury. I think this has been a problem for the Reds this year compared to other teams.

With all that said, can anything be done to improve the back end of this roster? When guys like Bruce underachieve you're stuck because you have to wait on him to get it going due to track record, but this isn't that. This is the expendable guys at the back end proving to be useless over the first half of a season. So do we expect those guys to improve or are their moves to be made? Is our AAA this bad that we can't improve on this?

2. Likes:

Chuckie (07-03-2014),Tony Cloninger (07-03-2014),Trajinous (07-03-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Back End of Roster

This is one of the areas where Walt leaves me scratching my head. He's rarely able to put a good bench together. He finally made two good moves this past offseason (Pena and Schumaker) but overall he's been horrendous at putting a bench together. Jack Hannahan during the 2012-13 offseason? Awful. Having Neftali Soto on the team for the first month when everyone could see he was outmatched? Another head-scratcher. (Although I will say Soto's numbers at Louisville have been impressive.) We need a backup first baseman right now. What does Walt do? Trades for a double-A first baseman who strikes out 1/3 of the time and will likely never make the Majors (sans a cup of coffee here and there at the most).

And you can't just say "Well, Walt's conservative." If that's the case, he's not very consistent about his plan. A "conservative" GM/front office does not sign Joey Votto to a 10-year, $225 million contract, two years before his previous deal expired. That's what an "aggressive" GM/front office would do. Same deal with the Homer Bailey contract. But when it comes to making small moves to improve the bench and/or bullpen, Walt can't get the job done well enough.

I don't think Riggins has anything to do with a bench spot this year. The Rockies needed another starter and that is who they offered.

6. Likes:

Chuckie (07-03-2014),RedlegJake (07-03-2014)

First we have a Wang thread and now one about the roster's back end! What is this board coming to??????????

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don't think Riggins has anything to do with a bench spot this year. The Rockies needed another starter and that is who they offered.
    Good point. I just hope another move is on the way, one that will have a positive impact on the Reds this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah - I almost think that deal was more a favor to Jurrjens sending him to Colorado where pitching opportunity is a lot better for a resurrecting hurler, and Riggins makes some sense for the Reds system - just last year they had SMB playing first for a while because of a dearth of first base prospects. Riggins is likely viewed as a fixing a minor issue in the farm system rather than a bona fide candidate for promotion. This year alone, if he played enough to get 500 ABs he'd KO 220 times - in a huge hitters league. Not enough power or walks to offset that.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

10. Likes:

HokieRed (07-03-2014)

Turn Off Ads?