Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Home Electrical help

Home Electrical help

So I woke up this morning and my Fridge, Dryer, and two sets of canned lights were not working.

I've tried flipping the circuit breakers for them, but have not had any success getting them to turn back on. The outlets for the Dryer and Fridge do not have Reset buttons.
    Any other easy things to identify before I call an electrician?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Re: Home Electrical help

How old is the house?

In almost everything built in the last 50 years, a dryer will have its' own breaker, so the fact that other things aren't working may be a symptom of something more serious. Check all the GFI outlets (the ones with reset buttons) in the house. Could be that simple. But probably not.

Beyond that, I'd call an expert.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Yay!

Also, maybe try to reset the main breaker.

Thanks Dab, Yeah the house is only 23 years old but I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it was built on an indian graveyard or something with all the weird stuff that's gone wrong.

The dryer does have its own breaker. The circuit board that these items are attached to doesn't have a main breaker.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

A 4th of July Miracle. Everything that had been off just flipped back on.

Weird.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Yay!

Electricity is weird.

So after about an hour and half or so, everything that had been off then on, turned back off. I hit the GFI reset as per dabvu's helpful advice and then 15-20 minutes later it popped back on.

Anyone have a clue what could be going on here?
    ---Joe Posnanski

Any lightning in the area?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Any lightning in the area?
    Not currently. None in the last few days even.
    ---Joe Posnanski

How many GFIs do you have? I had issues once, and discovered one of my outside outlets was a GFI and was getting a little moisture in it and tripping. I put one of those baby protector outlet covers on it and that solved my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    So after about an hour and half or so, everything that had been off then on, turned back off. I hit the GFI reset as per dabvu's helpful advice and then 15-20 minutes later it popped back on.

Anyone have a clue what could be going on here?
    Chipmunks.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

13. Likes:

kpresidente (07-08-2014)

Im a master electrician. You either have a bad breaker, GFI or a loose wire somewhere. Bite the bullet and call some one
    Last edited by George Anderson; 07-06-2014 at 12:52 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

15. Likes:

westofyou (07-06-2014)

I'm not an electrician, but I'd take Sparky's advice. There is no ancient burial ground vodo going on, something is wrong somewhere, and best to have it checked out and repaired by a professional than risk waking up in the middle of the night to a fire (or worse).

Thanks guys. An electrician I called gave me a quick fix to get through the weekend and avoid paying the "emergency" rates.

Medford, I strongly disagree with your assertion that this doesn't have to do with supernatural forces, in addition to he electrical issues, in the last year, i've had a sink hole develop beneath our patio, our sump pump fail and the basement flood, the A/c has gone out on multiple units dozens of times.

It's either supernatural forces or shoddy workmanship. I'm choosing supernatural forces.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Can't argue with a good story; if Heather O'Rouke shows up in your neighborhood, better run.

19. Likes:

dougdirt (07-09-2014)

Turn Off Ads?