Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 7/7/2014 Cubs at Reds Jay Bruce at 1B!!!!

7/7/2014 Cubs at Reds Jay Bruce at 1B!!!!

Unless Baseball Press has made a bad mistake then Jay Bruce will be at 1B tonight. Is this the first time he has ever played 1B? This is a big WOW! from me.

1. Chris Coghlan (L) LF
    2. Justin Ruggiano (R) CF
    3. Anthony Rizzo (L) 1B
    4. Starlin Castro (R) SS
    5. Luis Valbuena (L) 3B
    6. Welington Castillo (R) C
    7. Nate Schierholtz (L) RF
    8. Darwin Barney (R) 2B
    9. Edwin Jackson (R) P

1. Billy Hamilton (S) CF
    2. Todd Frazier (R) 3B
    3. Brandon Phillips (R) 2B
    4. Jay Bruce (L) 1B
    5. Devin Mesoraco (R) C
    6. Ryan Ludwick (R) LF
    7. Skip Schumaker (L) RF
    8. Ramon Santiago (S) SS
    9. Mike Leake (R) P

Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 7/7/2014 Cubs at Reds Jay Bruce at 1B!!!!

[QUOTE=cumberlandreds;3127428]Unless Baseball Press has made a bad mistake then Jay Bruce will be at 1B tonight. Is this the first time he has ever played 1B? This is a big WOW! from me.

Double Wow! Why not put Skip at 1b? At least he's got infield experience.

I think we should all be Pirate fans for the next 3 games. Hang some losses on the Cards and wait for the 2nd half Pirate collapse

I'd think the point of this is to get Schumaker and Ludwick both in the lineup for offense. Since none of them plays first base, Bruce is the default first baseman. Pena still out.

I agree with the post about Soto, but the Reds don't want AAA guys starting, when they call them up they are bench guys.

IMO the Reds are just so, so cautious about acquiring players from other teams to fill holes.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-07-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Several things.

1. I give Price credit for thinking outside the box.
    2. I give Bruce credit for being willing to try something new.
    3. I give Walt ZERO credit for forcing both guys into this position.
    4. Don't want to make a trade walt, fine. Neftali Soto is on the 40 man roster, is in Louisville, is HITTING WELL, and plays 1b.
    5. If Joey's not well enough to play, but not ill/injured enough to DL, fine....lessen the bullpen by 1 player and bring up Soto.
    6. If you don't want to lessen the bullpen by 1 player, fine...send Tucker Barnhart back down and bring up Soto...who can ALSO backup at catcher btw.
    7. If you don't want to use Soto at catcher and insist on keeping Barnhart up until Pena is back, fine....Then your FINAL option should be to DL Votto.

<--- NOT a fan of this move at all.

I hope it works out well, but for a team built on pitching and defense...you've just lessened yourself at TWO positions just to add Skip freaking Schumaker to the lineup. The move is to bolster the offense. Skip is hitting .252 with an OPS of .616.
    Boooooooooooooooo! (and this is coming from one of the most positive minded fans you'll ever find Walt)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-07-2014)

And of course Mike Leake is pitching, the ground ball guy, so Bruce will likely be quite active tonight in his new found position.

I applaud Bruce and Price for giving this a shot. But I am simply stunned that Soto isn't getting a shot up here.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Oh yeah. And since the move is to "bolster the offense"....you sit Cozart who's been swinging the bat as well as anybody on the team lately.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'd think the point of this is to get Schumaker and Ludwick both in the lineup for offense. Since none of them plays first base, Bruce is the default first baseman. Pena still out.

I agree with the post about Soto, but the Reds don't want AAA guys starting, when they call them up they are bench guys.

IMO the Reds are just so, so cautious about acquiring players from other teams to fill holes.
    I don't get this? They Do not want guys in AAA starting because why?

Pena is hitting below .200 if not worse for the last month. Joey needs to go on the DL.

If you don't think either Lutz or Soto....with regular starting time can do better.....than a make a small trade for someone who can at least cover you at 1B without weakening
    the OF defense.

I think the levels of excuse making for Walt's Wacky Roster Management....and I am not singling you out ....but there is a lot of it, just weird excuse making which belies any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I don't get this? They Do not want guys in AAA starting because why?

Pena is hitting below .200 if not worse for the last month. Joey needs to go on the DL.

If you don't think either Lutz or Soto....with regular starting time can do better.....than a make a small trade for someone who can at least cover you at 1B without weakening
    the OF defense.

I think the levels of excuse making for Walt's Wacky Roster Management....and I am not singling you out ....but there is a lot of it, just weird excuse making which belies any sense.
    Was there something in my post that indicated support for this move of Bruce to first base?
    I've been pushing for Soto for days.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-07-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Was there something in my post that indicated support for this move of Bruce to first base?
    No. But I will keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    No. But I will keep looking.
    Don't waste a lot of time on it.

The Reds would probably tell you it's because Pena's out. It's a one day thing.

But I think Charles more than adequately set forth the various alternatives they have which do not require Bruce to play first.

Don't waste a lot of time on it.

The Reds would probably tell you it's because Pena's out. It's a one day thing.

But I think Charles more than adequately set forth the various alternatives they have which do not require Bruce to play first.

I was joking with you.

I am just tired of them sitting on making any more roster moves. Pena in/out.....does not matter. Votto on the DL, which he should be, but is not. Does not matter.

I know you are trying to rationalize things and I sound like the crazy internet guy.

I think this just shows how once the season starts the store is closed.....money is locked up. You cannot win like this....sitting on the sidelines during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I think we should all be Pirate fans for the next 3 games. Hang some losses on the Cards and wait for the 2nd half Pirate collapse
    Either way, somebody loses every day that the REDS are chasing. It's all good. (Then the Cards face the Brewers, and teams ahead of the REDS continue to lose every day.)

- - - Updated - - -

Bruce is an athlete. He should be able to handle the move to first base.

We'll miss his arm in Right Field, though.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-07-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

ctrent @ctrent 1m
    Chapman said he's available today #Reds

Turn Off Ads?