Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Over-The-Air channels.... running into a strange problem

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Over-The-Air channels.... running into a strange problem

So, I had never noticed this problem until today. In the living room, I can pick up WGN-HD OTA on channel 9-4. It was time for me to go make some lunch, so I headed into the kitchen where I have a small 17 inch television. I input 9-4 and get "Digital channel is encrypted" message.

Both televisions are hooked up to cable and also pick up OTA channels. Can someone explain why it shows up on one television and the other has it blocked by the cable company? The television that picks it up is quite a bit newer than the other one is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Over-The-Air channels.... running into a strange problem

Is the antenna on the newer TV hooked as an input but the OTA signal for the small one is going through the satellite box? Just a guess...
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Is the antenna on the newer TV hooked as an input but the OTA signal for the small one is going through the satellite box? Just a guess...
    Both televisions are hooked up the exact same way, with no external antenna.

It could be a tuner issue, but I really couldn't say without more information. Can you get other channels on the small 17" TV? How are the televisions wired up? Do any televisions have set-top boxes?

You should get WGN on 9.4 from TWC. I suggest you do a new scan on the problem TV and see if that clears it up

Neither TV has a set top box. Both are hooked directly into cable from the wall. On the small TV, none of the 9-whatever channels work, all give the same message. However I am able to pick up what should be 9-1 as 104-1, but what should be 9-2 is not 104-2 and so on. It's very strange.

Sea Ray, I will try a new scan and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Neither TV has a set top box. Both are hooked directly into cable from the wall. On the small TV, none of the 9-whatever channels work, all give the same message. However I am able to pick up what should be 9-1 as 104-1, but what should be 9-2 is not 104-2 and so on. It's very strange.

Sea Ray, I will try a new scan and see what happens.
    That is strange. Some televisions have a setting where you can select between cable and air because the frequency that, for example, channel 9 is transmitted OTA is different than the frequency it is transmitted via cable. Have you checked for a setting like that?
    Last edited by Beltway; 07-12-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    That is strange. Some televisions have a setting where you can select between cable and air because the frequency that, for example, channel 9 is transmitted OTA is different than the frequency it is transmitted via cable. Have you checked for a setting like that?
    I've gone through every possible setting on the TV. I can't find anything like it. It's rather annoying. I don't watch much local TV, but if I want to watch channel 9 in HD in the kitchen, I have to go to 104-1. It's just very strange. And I'm missing the -2 through -4 channels that should be available.

Technology is usually my thing. I am completely stumped with this tv. It's a cheap Sanyo TV that was like $99 two years ago, but still.

Turn Off Ads?