Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/stor...ilty/11272717/

MONTREAL (AP) — A Canadian woman who parked her car on a highway to help a group of ducklings on the side of the road was found guilty Friday of causing the deaths of a motorcyclist and his passenger daughter who slammed into her car. Emma Czornobaj was convicted by a jury on two counts of criminal negligence causing death, a charge that carries a maximum life sentence, and two counts of dangerous driving causing death, which comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail. The 25-year-old was charged in the deaths of Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter Jessie, 16.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

Motorcycle: device designed to display person just before they are an organ donor. Or, if they neglected to check the box, just plain roadkill.

4. Likes:

Sea Ray (07-08-2014)

Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

You would think that a country that put a loon on its dollar coin would be more sympathetic toward a woman who was trying to save duck's lives.

Seriously, this ruling seems just wrong.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 07-08-2014 at 12:33 AM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I've seen two motorcyclists bleeding on the road this year already. I wouldn't say I would ban them ... buuuuuut I don't really get how they are interstate legal either.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I've seen two motorcyclists bleeding on the road this year already. I wouldn't say I would ban them ... buuuuuut I don't really get how they are interstate legal either.
    My wife rides.... never on the highway thankfully, and every time she goes for a ride I'm nervous until she gets home.

For a Level Playing Field

I too dislike motorcycles. A lady who works at my company lost her 24 yr old brother last week when a truck pulled out in front of his motorcycle. I do not understand why these things are legal. HOWEVER....

Stop in the left lane of a freaking highway?!? Stupid. Very-very-very stupid. I know she was trying to help a family of ducks. But stopping in the left lane of a highway to help ducks?!? Perhaps it is beyond stupid. I am not sure jail is necessary. But she should lose her driving privileges for the rest of her life. When people do stupid things it sometimes causes people to die. She did something stupid and two people died b/c of it. I hate motorcycles, but this young lady's stupidity caused those people to die (not the bike). Would they have survived if they were in a car? We would not be asking if the duck-saver did not do something stupid.

She sounds very, very dumb

I can see a relatively minor conviction here, because people need to respect the inherent danger that the roadways present, but a life sentence? C'mon Canada!
    Last edited by kpresidente; 07-08-2014 at 10:18 AM.

The motorcyclist didn't notice a stopped car. That's the real problem here. Of course, no one wants to speak ill of the dead. She'll probably get a suspended sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Why would you hint at banning them when the only big danger they present is to themselves? It's their life, let them do what they want with it.

It is odd we have seat belt laws but they don't apply to bikers. Not that seat belts on cycles is practical, but if the government requires safety while operating a vehicle, it's just odd that it doesn't by default make riding a motorcycle against the law.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

If a motorcycle on a road is bad, a bicycle on a road is one hundred times worse.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

15. Likes:

Joseph (07-08-2014)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Why would you hint at banning them when the only big danger they present is to themselves? It's their life, let them do what they want with it.
    For me, I don't want them banned, I just don't want to be lectured to by them constantly.

My advice is that if you want to be seen, drive something that can be seen.

17. Likes:

Joseph (07-08-2014),Rojo (07-08-2014),Slyder (07-08-2014)

They call me "chef"

Was this lady on birth control?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If a motorcycle on a road is bad, a bicycle on a road is one hundred times worse.
    Yes and no. Motorcycles go much, much faster, and thus are more dangerous.

Of course motorcycles are often loud, have turn signals and brake lights, which makes them a bit safer too.

Still, motorcycles are allowed on the highway and that's really where things swing in favor of the whole dangerousness for them compared to bicycles.

With that said, the fact that it's technically illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk is mind numbing to me.

Turn Off Ads?