Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

  1. #16
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,920

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I can see a relatively minor conviction here, because people need to respect the inherent danger that the roadways present, but a life sentence? C'mon Canada!
    Potential for a life sentence, not that she was given it. At least yet.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,585

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes and no. Motorcycles go much, much faster, and thus are more dangerous.

    Of course motorcycles are often loud, have turn signals and brake lights, which makes them a bit safer too.

    Still, motorcycles are allowed on the highway and that's really where things swing in favor of the whole dangerousness for them compared to bicycles.

    With that said, the fact that it's technically illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk is mind numbing to me.
    Portland's had something like 30 bicyclists killed on the roads in the last year, year and a half. They are really stupid. They use zero common sense when on the road, are aggressive and arrogant, while not having the power of a motorcycle to get them out of the trouble they get themselves into. Cars and motorcycles have brakes that can slow them down rather quickly. Bicycles do not. Very little control by the operator when it comes to a bicycle. They simply aren't designed to handle emergency situations, while 90% of the operators continually put themselves in dangers. They are a menace on the roadways, even when you try to separate them from the cars by having designated bike lanes.

    Portland has a few streets in it that operate like hubs of a wheel, (Foster, Sandy and Willamette Blvd), and if these streets were made bicycle only, it would alleviate quite a bit of the congestion that creates so many deaths and accidents. (Many main arteries would also need to be automobile only to keep the theme of separating the bicycles from the automobiles consistent.) They are constantly tweaking the streets to try to make things safer, but they aren't getting it....they need to be completely separated. Bike lanes are better, theoretically, but it just creates a false sense of security to bicyclists leading to more deaths and accidents.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-08-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,585

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes and no. Motorcycles go much, much faster, and thus are more dangerous.

    Of course motorcycles are often loud, have turn signals and brake lights, which makes them a bit safer too.

    Still, motorcycles are allowed on the highway and that's really where things swing in favor of the whole dangerousness for them compared to bicycles.

    With that said, the fact that it's technically illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk is mind numbing to me.
    Many a family member (Officers) has picked up a motorcycle helmet with a head still in it, but it's no where nearly as bad as the dozens of bicyclists that die from being run over (mostly head injuries, though).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  5. #19
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,281

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Portland's had something like 30 bicyclists killed on the roads in the last year, year and a half. They are really stupid. They use zero common sense when on the road, are aggressive and arrogant, while not having the power of a motorcycle to get them out of the trouble they get themselves into. Cars and motorcycles have brakes that can slow them down rather quickly. Bicycles do not. Very little control by the operator when it comes to a bicycle. They simply aren't designed to handle emergency situations, while 90% of the operators continually put themselves in dangers. They are a menace on the roadways, even when you try to separate them from the cars by having designated bike lanes.

    Portland has a few streets in it that operate like hubs of a wheel, (Foster, Sandy and Willamette Blvd), and if these streets were made bicycle only, it would alleviate quite a bit of the congestion that creates so many deaths and accidents. (Many main arteries would also need to be automobile only to keep the theme of separating the bicycles from the automobiles consistent.) They are constantly tweaking the streets to try to make things safer, but they aren't getting it....they need to be completely separated. Bike lanes are better, theoretically, but it just creates a false sense of security to bicyclists leading to more deaths and accidents.

    Portland made it through 2013 with zero bike fatalities

    http://grist.org/list/portland-made-...ke-fatalities/

    There were several serious collisions, covered here on the site, including one major hit-and-run that remains unsolved. But the number-one reason Portland is the countryís best big city for biking is that this is, compared to any other large U.S. city and lots of the smaller ones, an extremely safe place to ride a bicycle.

    This isnít a new feat for Portland: the city also avoided any bike-related fatalities in 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2008 and 2010.
    My bike commute is 12 miles RT and completely safe

  6. Likes:

    Kingspoint (07-08-2014)

  7. #20
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,469

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If a motorcycle on a road is bad, a bicycle on a road is one hundred times worse.
    I don't often see bicyclists on the interstate here in Ohio. Maybe Portland is different.

    I actually could see Portlandia doing a bit on a cyclist merging onto the interstate.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  8. #21
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,281

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I don't often see bicyclists on the interstate here in Ohio. Maybe Portland is different.

    I actually could see Portlandia doing a bit on a cyclist merging onto the interstate.
    Bikes on the freeway, not here

  9. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,585

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I don't often see bicyclists on the interstate here in Ohio. Maybe Portland is different.

    I actually could see Portlandia doing a bit on a cyclist merging onto the interstate.
    Interstate rules are controlled by the Federal Government, so Portland has no say.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  10. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,585

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Portland made it through 2013 with zero bike fatalities

    http://grist.org/list/portland-made-...ke-fatalities/
    Having read about so many bicycle deaths in the Portland area over the last ten years has had a lot of numbers thrown out there by the media.

    The improved cooperation between motored vehicles and bicycles, along with attempts to separate them, has been positive recently. The trend should hopefully continue.

    Name:  TrafficFatalities.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  97.8 KB
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  11. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,585

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My bike commute is 12 miles RT and completely safe
    There's that false sense of security.

    Justin Rose (The Oregonian's Bicycle Expert/Reporter/Advocate) mentioned that there were 32 accidents from 2008 to 2012 just involving one type of maneuver....right turns by automobiles. He also mentions that those are just the reported police reports. It's why they are experimenting with the Bike Boxes. He also mentioned that 98% of motorists properly yield on right turns to bicycles. But, congestion is still congestion, and 2,000 pound pieces of metal driven by people who text and speak on their phones combined with bicycles that have zero safety features on them to combat these metal giants is still going to yield disastrous results.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-08-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  12. #25
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,469

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Interstate rules are controlled by the Federal Government, so Portland has no say.
    Right, which is my point, i.e. bikes aren't safe at high speeds, just like motorcycles, but one is allowed on the freeway.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  13. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    The Bush Leagues
    Posts
    9,347

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    I don't motorcycles either. But then I think the speed thing is lost on me. The terror/thrill ratio doesn't work for me. I tried skiing once. Meh. Jet-skis are perfectly safe, but I find them boring. Just going around and around. Dull.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

  14. #27
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,281

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    There's that false sense of security.

    Justin Rose (The Oregonian's Bicycle Expert/Reporter/Advocate) mentioned that there were 32 accidents from 2008 to 2012 just involving one type of maneuver....right turns by automobiles. He also mentions that those are just the reported police reports. It's why they are experimenting with the Bike Boxes. He also mentioned that 98% of motorists properly yield on right turns to bicycles. But, congestion is still congestion, and 2,000 pound pieces of metal driven by people who text and speak on their phones combined with bicycles that have zero safety features on them to combat these metal giants is still going to yield disastrous results.
    Everything has an element of danger, Elvis died on the can. Therefore we should all be aware that we could die on the can.

  15. #28
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,920

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Everything has an element of danger, Elvis died on the can. Therefore we should all be aware that we could die on the can.
    It's one of my fears.

  16. Likes:

    BillDoran (07-08-2014), PepperJack (07-09-2014), westofyou (07-08-2014)

  17. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,585

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Everything has an element of danger, Elvis died on the can. Therefore we should all be aware that we could die on the can.
    Only if you do massive amounts of drugs.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

  18. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,585

    Re: Woman convicted of killing two people trying to help baby ducks off of road...

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Everything has an element of danger, Elvis died on the can. Therefore we should all be aware that we could die on the can.
    June 28th I walked 13 miles from Downtown Oregon City to Aurora so I could stake out if it was feasible to ride a bike along Hwy 99. Turns out that it wasn't even safe to walk along parts of that stretch. There are bike maps, but I wanted to see for myself the perils involved.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25