Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible LF/1B combo targets for rest of 2014

Re: Possible LF/1B combo targets for rest of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Will, on the 1b list, you will note my qualifier...IF votto is done, then...

Also, Will, out of 43 games played this year, Willingham has been in LF for 39 of them.

Vicidedo also has 25 games in the OF as well this year.

I am comfortable they belong on this list as at least potential OF help.
    fair enough.

The problem with Morneau & Loney is that they are signed for 2015. I guess we could trade for them, play them at 1B this year then they could be dealt in the offseason.

I call some of these guys a DH because they are so bad in the field. I know teams try to hide a bad glove in LF but some of these guys are really bad gloves. I'd prefer not to trade for a guy who can't play defense at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Using Dunn's 2011 stats is just a way to make his numbers look worse. There's just no real explanation for that year. One of the most randomly bad years in baseball history.

3 years since:
    2012: .204/.333/.468/.800 (41 HR)
    2013: .219/.320/.442/.762 (34 HR)
    2014: .229/.336/.441/.807 (13 HR..so far)

You know what Adam Dunn is right now at age 34? Exactly what you'd thought he'd be at age 34 10 years ago.

He wouldn't cost much in the way of prospects and he's a free agent at the end of the year. It's certainly not a terribly stupid idea. It makes sense. He wouldn't be hitting in the middle of the order. You'd throw him in the 6th spot and go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Anti-Rolen. You skipped that one. By accident, I'm sure.

Media unfairness, much like team success, seems to follow Dunn wherever he goes, doesn't it? Oh wait...
    The same chorus that praised Rolen, is the same chorus that doesn't like Dunn. I don't like Blake Shelton, therefore I don't like his popular or unpopular songs. Same difference. Other than magical leadership that sure didn't do squat at crunch time, what did Scott Rolen do while here, aside from lots of time in the training room? The Rolen White Light Magic, is equal to the Dunn Dark Magic, when it comes to the media in the Cincinnati area.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-08-2014)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Russell Branyan is tearing up the Mexican League and could be worth a flyer:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...at&id=b1fa771e

so is Reuben Mateo.
    The 00s called. They want their players back.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    2. Lucas Duda (great suggestion from Dan in another thread)
    I want Duda simply because his walk-up song, That Smell, is one of my all-time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The same chorus that praised Rolen, is the same chorus that doesn't like Dunn.
    So, "need ya at 3rd, Brucie" has the same effect of "who cares?" from team leaders? Zero? Really?

I don't like Blake Shelton, therefore I don't like his popular or unpopular songs. Same difference.
    I liked watching the bombs fly off of Dunn's bat while he was here. Didn't like his defense, and didn't like what he brought to the table in terms of leadership. (nothing). Funny how the media was always "picking" on his laziness.

Other than magical leadership that sure didn't do squat at crunch time, what did Scott Rolen do while here, aside from lots of time in the training room?
    Must have been a coincidence that the Reds turned it around when Rolen got here, and fell apart when he got hurt. EE is another guy who was just getting started during Dunn's tenure here. Same laziness that Kearns, Bruce and the other young guys were called out on at certain points of their early careers. I wonder where they all learned how to coast from? Not Scott Rolen, I bet.

The Rolen White Light Magic, is equal to the Dunn Dark Magic, when it comes to the media in the Cincinnati area.
    I guess. Anyone will tell you though... enthusiasm is contagious. Apathy and entitlement are too.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Dunn's work ethic was not the sole reason. It didn't help either, I bet. Laziness and uber-effort are both contagious, and both impact greatly everyone around them, in any work setting. Dunn is like the anti-Pete Rose. The anti-Scott Rolen. "This game is stupid, but it makes me a lot of money so I guess I'll play." -Dunner Wisdom # 421

If you don't classify 20-somethings as young and impressionable, then I don't know what to tell you.

Scotty seemed to elevate everyone's game around him, even when his own game was failing him. Dunn? C'mon now... We all know people like Adam Dunn. Many of us work with guys like that. He's a coaster, and an absolute cancer to improvement and productivity (off of the golf course, naturally).

I wonder what kind of ballplayers Kearns and Bruce would be today, if Rolen had their ears and eyes early on instead of Dunn. Probably the exact same, right? Young professional ballplayers never look to vets to see how it is done. And vets never set the tone of the clubhouse either. Unless they are chimney sweeps, apparently.

"Whenever I work with someone who is really lazy and never faces consequences for it, all it does is make me want to do is work harder." Said no one ever.
    So we agree we can blame it all on Ken Griffey Jr?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The 00s called. They want their players back.
    Did they call via landline, flip-phone or 1-800-Collect?

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-08-2014),Kingspoint (07-09-2014),Old school 1983 (07-08-2014)

So, "need ya at 3rd, Brucie" has the same effect of "who cares?" from team leaders? Zero? Really?

I liked watching the bombs fly off of Dunn's bat while he was here. Didn't like his defense, and didn't like what he brought to the table in terms of leadership. (nothing). Funny how the media was always "picking" on his laziness.

Must have been a coincidence that the Reds turned it around when Rolen got here, and fell apart when he got hurt. EE is another guy who was just getting started during Dunn's tenure here. Same laziness that Kearns, Bruce and the other young guys were called out on at certain points of their early careers. I wonder where they all learned how to coast from? Not Scott Rolen, I bet.

I guess. Anyone will tell you though... enthusiasm is contagious. Apathy and entitlement are too.
    You don't know any of that. All you are saying is the same regurgitated lines that came from the likes of Marty, P Doc, etc. I am not going to fight this one. Scott Rolen was not William Wallace.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

You don't know any of that. All you are saying is the same regurgitated lines that came from the likes of Marty, P Doc, etc. I am not going to fight this one. Scott Rolen was not William Wallace.
    If by "etc" you mean, "tons of other player, coach and media sources outside of Cincinnati" then I agree with you.

And no, Rolen was not WW. But Dunn might be Larry the Cable Guy.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I know these guys aren't the OPS masters of the universe, so I'll probably get some flack but Alonso and Headley are two guys I'd take a long look at. They would probably come somewhat cheaply, are both languishing in a hitters black hole and would probably see an uptick in Cincinnati and in Headleys case has star upside.

If by "etc" you mean, "tons of other player, coach and media sources outside of Cincinnati" then I agree with you.

And no, Rolen was not WW. But Dunn might be Larry the Cable Guy.
    By tons I assume you have sources?

16. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-08-2014)

By tons I assume you have sources?

Well I provided 4 or 5 between these 2 threads. The rest of the internet is yours to absorb.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Carlos Pena, if he could start hitting again.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Did they call via landline, flip-phone or 1-800-Collect?
    I was mistaken. They contacted through MySpace.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-08-2014)

Turn Off Ads?