Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Possible LF/1B combo targets for rest of 2014

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Possible LF/1B combo targets for rest of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    What about Jordan Pachanco? He hasn't done much in over a year, but when Helton was hurt a couple years ago, he did well, with regular ABs. Besides 1B, he plays both corner Ofs, and catcher. Maybe even some 3B. He could be had for next to nothing, and maybe Walt can talk the dBacks into trading us back DD also.
    Pacheco has had a negative fWAR every year that he has been in the bigs. He has no power to speak of and is more often than he used to.

Pass.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This will be the sixth consecutive year that I've clamored for it on Redszone, but Alex Rios would still be a compelling acquisition target. He could play LF, RF or 1B, and he has a $13M option for next year in case Winker isn't ready to take over LF. He's probably close to an .800 OPS guy in GABP.
    Go BLUE!!!

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-23-2014),Rojo (07-12-2014)

Bump.

From my last on this thread, with Trumbo added:

For those just checking in -- this list is a group think exercise -- it encapsulates last five pages (minus the Dunn mishegas). Ground rules - players who MIGHT be acquirable in terms of what they would cost the reds in prospects and $$$ - has to fit what appears to be a huge need on this Club. Once we finalize, I will start another thread to do a poll and we can discuss what might be the optimal target list in terms of likelihood of being able to acquire the player.

(Note...this list isn't in order of preference, just a list for now - except for Zobrist - he's the bestest)

OF/1b combo types

1. Ben Zobrist (I've made my feelings clear)
    2. Lucas Duda (great suggestion from Dan in another thread - someone here called him a DH type - disagree - he can cover 1b or LF if need be)
    3. Scott Van Slyke (mentioned elsewhere, he's got some 1b big league experience)
    4. Luis Valbuena (way more IF than OF, but a little OF experience)
    5. Josh Willingham (only a few games at 1b in his career)
    6. Dylan Viciedo (young, upside - not much 1b experience)
    7. Adam Dunn (I think he could still cover LF if he had to, ymmv - bob sheed apparently wishes Dunn into the Phantom Zone with General Zod)
    8. Garrett Jones (great thought from this thread - nice target)
    9. Mike Carp (nice age 27 year in Boston last year - hurt this year - helps at 1b/3b and OF)
    10. Jeff Baker (shake n')
    11. Daniel Murphy (1b/2b/OF capable - nice call Puffy)
    12. Daniel Nava (another nice target lost in the morass of that Boston debacle - nice call Will)
    13.Martin Prado (hmmm...my Zobrist yearning just re-aligned -oops, except for his contract situation that Raisor pointed in another thread)

OF types (no 1b experience):

1. Alex Rios
    2. Marlon Byrd
    3. Matt Joyce (love him - if only I thought it possible...)
    4. Corey Dickerson

1b types (depends on how Votto is...IF he is done, then...):

1. Casey McGahee (marlins GM claims he's off-limits, but that's just...weird)
    2. Justin Morneau (my thought)
    3. James Loney (only OF was back in '06, he's prob a 1b only option)
    4. Justin Smoak (per above suggestion - change of scenery? but he's 1b only, and really, he might not be able to hit)
    5. Chase Headley (per above suggestion - can he play 1b? Can he play LF?) -- Off to the Yankees
    6. Mark Trumbo

Outside the Box Candidates (Eastbound and Down supposedly still alive and in Mexico):

1. Russell Branyan
    2. Ruben Mateo

In house Candidates:

1. Jack Hannahan (shudder, I mean, really, yuck) - IF only
    2. Neftali Soto (warming up at AAA - can he hit in the bigs?) - IF only
    Last edited by membengal; 07-22-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Bump.

3. Scott Van Slyke (mentioned elsewhere, he's got some 1b big league experience)
    Van Slyke intrigues me. Not much of a hitter for average, but appears to be able to take walks and drive the ball.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

PepperJack (07-22-2014),Tom Servo (07-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Van Slyke intrigues me. Not much of a hitter for average, but appears to be able to take walks and drive the ball.
    He could make a good fit for the Reds, and you would think he will get squeezed more and more by that Dodgers OF situation.

9. Likes:

CySeymour (07-22-2014),membengal (07-22-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

If the Pads are in "sell mode"....I wonder what it would take to pry Seth Smith away from them. He'd be a nice option to kick Ludwick/Heisey out of left. Nice shiny OBP too.

The more I think about this, the more I think Adam Dunn might actually make sense for this club. Now I'm not a Dunn superfan, nor am I a Dunn hater. I liked him when he was here, but I recognized his flaws, which were significant, and I haven't particularly missed him since he's been gone. I thought it was time to turn the page.

But right now the Reds could use some additional offensive pop. He would be below average defensively at 1B, and would likely require a defensive caddy. And I don't think he is a viable option in LF at all. But his contract is favorable, and Walt has had good relations in the past with the White Sox, so a reasonable deal (similar to the Griffey deal in 2008) could be struck.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    The more I think about this, the more I think Adam Dunn might actually make sense for this club. Now I'm not a Dunn superfan, nor am I a Dunn hater. I liked him when he was here, but I recognized his flaws, which were significant, and I haven't particularly missed him since he's been gone. I thought it was time to turn the page.

But right now the Reds could use some additional offensive pop. He would be below average defensively at 1B, and would likely require a defensive caddy. And I don't think he is a viable option in LF at all. But his contract is favorable, and Walt has had good relations in the past with the White Sox, so a reasonable deal (similar to the Griffey deal in 2008) could be struck.
    If the Reds traded for Dunn, the Red's field crew is going to have to seed new spots on the field, because every team will be playing the shift on half the Reds lineup.

13. Likes:

Big Klu (07-22-2014),Norm Chortleton (07-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    If the Reds traded for Dunn, the Red's field crew is going to have to seed new spots on the field, because every team will be playing the shift on half the Reds lineup.
    True.

But I think the exaggerated shift is the flavor of the month in MLB, and we are going to see more of it (implemented against more hitters--even those you wouldn't expect) before this fad eventually fades from view.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    If the Pads are in "sell mode"....I wonder what it would take to pry Seth Smith away from them. He'd be a nice option to kick Ludwick/Heisey out of left. Nice shiny OBP too.
    They extended him. The time to get him was last year at the deadline.

Retweeted by Jon Heyman

Danny Knobler ‏@DannyKnobler · 19m
    Heard Mets trying hard to move Bartolo Colon, which isn’t exactly a surprise. Also no surprise: Dodgers trying hard to move Kemp.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Retweeted by Jon Heyman

Heard Mets trying hard to move Bartolo Colon, which isn’t exactly a surprise. Also no surprise: Dodgers trying hard to move Kemp.
    FWIW, Kemp is posting an OPS of .755 this year. Dodgers are going to eat a lot of salary to get rid of that one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    FWIW, Kemp is posting an OPS of .755 this year. Dodgers are going to eat a lot of salary to get rid of that one though.
    Just a gut feeling, but I really think this'll be the target. LF replacement. Give Ludwick a week or so to practice 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Retweeted by Jon Heyman

and they will have a hard time doing it. his salary, his injury history and his statements (I want to play everyday in CF (!) ) wont make it easy for them...
    kemp would be nice in LF but he already said that he wants to play in CF (everyday)... something he wouldn´t do with the reds
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I had wondered if Kemp was who Walt was referring to with this quote,

In a chat with Jim Bowden of SiriusXM (via Twitter), Jocketty made it clear he’d like to acquire a middle of the order bat he could put into the Reds‘ lineup right away, not an injury risk type player.

Turn Off Ads?