Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lebron back to Ohio?

Re: Lebron back to Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    According to ESPN, the holdup is the letter that Dan Gilbert wrote 4 years ago.

Not looking good for Cleveland.

Not looking good for Chris Sheridan's career, either! Haha
    That Dan Gilbert letter should be an example for everyone from all walks of life:

Never ever ever ever EVER burn bridges.

There is absolutely nothing good that can come out of burning bridges.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The letter is nothing more than a convenient and plausible excuse for LeBron to float publicly that absolves him of all responsibility for -- essentially -- using Cleveland (and his possible return) as leverage to exact the best possible deal from Miami or wherever he ends up.

He (or he via his people) played Cleveland for a fool again. This time, though, he got smarter about leaving himself an out for why he did it.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

4. Likes:

WMR (07-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The letter is nothing more than a convenient and plausible excuse for LeBron to float publicly that absolves him of all responsibility for -- essentially -- using Cleveland (and his possible return) as leverage to exact the best possible deal from Miami or wherever he ends up.

He (or he via his people) played Cleveland for a fool again. This time, though, he got smarter about leaving himself an out for why he did it.
    LeBron doesn't need leverage. He is going to get a max contract wherever he signs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That Dan Gilbert letter should be an example for everyone from all walks of life:

Never ever ever ever EVER burn bridges.

There is absolutely nothing good that can come out of burning bridges.
    Dan Gilbert is worth $3.9B I don't think he cares about burning bridges.

There are plenty of professional athletes who play with owners that they don't see eye to eye with.

Personally I don't think the letter is a hold up. I think these beat reporters are doing whatever they can to drum up new news. LeBron and his camp have always been very tight lipped, when ESPN leads and stays on LeBron for entire hours they need something to talk about.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

LeBron doesn't need leverage. He is going to get a max contract wherever he signs.
    It isn't about LeBron's money -- it's about how the rest of the team's money gets spent.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It isn't about LeBron's money -- it's about how the rest of the team's money gets spent.
    Letter or not, there are 29 teams that would do anything LeBron says to get him on their roster. Cleveland dumped a number of players at the hint of LeBron coming back. The Spurs are the only team I can think of that wouldn't demolish their roster and do whatever he says (and they would be foolish to do so) to get him.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Has anyone considered this scenario if LeBron bolts to Cleveland? Someone has to tell Udonis Haslem to his face that he lost millions of dollars for nothing by opting out. I would like to meet the person brave enough to do that, because that is not me.

This whole scenario is one of many reasons why I'm not a fan of the NBA. It's the players running the asylum and the word manipulating might not even be too strong a word to use. The players can get together and decide which team they want to make the NBA's favorite. It's not a matter of GM's building a team. It's not a matter of coaches coaching. He who lands LeBron and Co wins. This has got to make it suck to be a fan in the NBA.

11. Likes:

jimbo (07-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This whole scenario is one of many reasons why I'm not a fan of the NBA. It's the players running the asylum and the word manipulating might not even be too strong a word to use. The players can get together and decide which team they want to make the NBA's favorite. It's not a matter of GM's building a team. It's not a matter of coaches coaching. He who lands LeBron and Co wins. This has got to make it suck to be a fan in the NBA.
    of course the chance that the team wins rises big time, but the past did show that multiple superstars chosing a team isnīt a guarantee to win it all...
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I couldn't disagree more. I love that the players have the power in that league. They should. It is their career, not ours, not the GM's, not the owners. Why should I care about the job done by middle-managers?

14. Likes:

BillDoran (07-11-2014)

It's not a matter of coaches coaching. He who lands LeBron and Co wins.
    The San Antonio Spurs disagree.

16. Likes:

tomnuetten (07-11-2014)

Dallas Mavs also.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I like how the Spurs are the example of "team" and the "anti-superstar" team. They have a top 10 all timer and a bunch of future Hall of Fame guys. They certainly play well as a team but it isn't like Miami was an iso-ball club. They were 7th in the league in assists in 12-13 and were almost pathologically unselfish. Really, the teams were almost statistical mirrors of one another. The difference in 13-14 was that Miami's role players fell off a cliff. It wasn't some referendum on star ball.

19. Likes:

BillDoran (07-11-2014),Razor Shines (07-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I like how the Spurs are the example of "team" and the "anti-superstar" team. They have a top 10 all timer and a bunch of future Hall of Fame guys. They certainly play well as a team but it isn't like Miami was an iso-ball club. They were 7th in the league in assists in 12-13 and were almost pathologically unselfish. Really, the teams were almost statistical mirrors of one another. The difference in 13-14 was that Miami's role players fell off a cliff. It wasn't some referendum on star ball.
    I was responding to his "He who lands LeBron and Co wins" comment.

I was responding to his "He who lands LeBron and Co wins" comment.
    It doesn't guarantee winning. Nothing does. But he has been in the Finals in 5 of his 11 seasons, so your chances are as good as anyone. Them's good odds.

Turn Off Ads?